The Most Soulfull Northern Soul

Tomangoes

Interesting choices, and as rare as it may  :) ,I think Pete has a point about Roy Hamilton, I love the record and always have done but on a pure soul type classification his voice is aimed at crossing over (a point better made by the as always very eloquent Billy Freemantle above). I think its interesting that a large number of the choices have been in the uptown big voice style, very emotional but not  always classic soulful to me, and thats not a dig as thanks to Ady C's promting over this style over the years I do love it.

link

I always maintain that any form of music is subjective, but i am astonished when anyone doesn't get Roy Hamiltons "Panic" as Soul......listen to the delivery of the lyrics, good god in heaven if that isnt Soul then i really have got it wrong for 25 years........maybe i'm not a soulfan after all...........

Soul...

1. The animating and vital principle in humans, credited with the faculties of thought, action, and emotion and often conceived as an immaterial entity.

2. A strong, deeply felt emotion conveyed by a speaker, a performer, or an artist.

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

With about 50 replies, some quality choices.

In the days before it was called Northern Soul, I assume then that only mid to uptempo soul was played.

Maybe the Northern Soul tag was a curse allowing too much variation to the core underground theme of danceable soul. In recent years I have noticed the RARESOUL being favoured to NORTHERN SOUL by many who insist it has to be a soul record in the first place.

Ed

Social source share

Of the mentions so far the Rockmasters has lots to offer. The Panic is on is just pure class no matter what you categorise it as George Freeman is also top quality.

Some more for the pot - Jimmie Bo Horne 'I Just Can't Speak', George Smith 'I've Had It', Buddy Smith 'When You Lose the One you Love' and the Soul Communicators 'Please don't Go' :)

Social source share

the three that are doing it for me at the moment

Al scott what happened to yesterday

the commands hey its love

and finaly eddie wighthead just your fool

all got bags of feeling :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!