45,s That Play At 33rpm

Guest mark shepherd

Guest mark shepherd

got my hands on this a few weeks ago - george smallwood / you know i love you / smallwood productions

nice record but its got a solid centre and it plays at 33 RPM

it takes me all my time to DJ - one on one off at 45 RPM,

why make a single to play at 33, sure theirs a logical explanation, but cant for the life off me think what it is ????

anyone sad.gif

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

got my hands on this a few weeks ago - george smallwood / you know i love you / smallwood productions

nice record but its got a solid centre and it plays at 33 RPM

it takes me all my time to DJ - one on one off at 45 RPM,

why make a single to play at 33, sure theirs a logical explanation, but cant for the life off me think what it is ????

anyone sad.gif

Made for export to Mexico or something,they use 33rpm for singles........just a idea?,i have a Gloria Lynne on Everest,i see your face before me.

Social source share

Hi shep,

'Scuse my ignorance but is it a long record ? Reason I ask is I remember Roberta Kelly "Troublemaker" single coming out in the UK as the full LP version playing at 33 ( and my old mate Steve Plimmer being peed off 'cos he"d just forked out for the import LP ) this was pre 12 inch days tho.

I've also got a couple of Philly Int things, "Love I Lost" and "Wake Up Everybody" that are 33rpm singles playing the full LP versions.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

To fit more on it...either a long track or two or more tracks

makes sense in some cases, i got a 7" solid center 33 rpm issue of jimmy mcgriff's "all about my girl" that is over 4 mins long whereas the 45 rpm ends at about 2:30 min.

edit: both records are on the US sue label, there's no hint on the 33 rpm 45 it might originate from south america or so ...

Edited by benji
Social source share

Some jukeboxes operate at 33rpm.

There's loads of Brazilian and Argentinian 33rpms presumably because the U.S. Jukebox manufacturers and suppliers dumped all of their old units on the South American markets.

If your producing records to go into JBs and sell to the public then it makes sense to keep costs down by pressing them all up at the same speed - 33 being the most popular on that continent.

Social source share

got a couple meself

The Posse ...EVIL..on PAGODA..solid centre 33rpm Argie

why the f***

they called the label pagoda..With a proper pagoda on the label and company sleeve??

what have they got anything to do with Argentina????????????????????????????got to be a rare one

and a Brasilian Modulations Cant fight your love

solid centre Buddah lovely full fat little fella on the label(like me really )

never seen that design before either..

Social source share

Made for export to Mexico or something,they use 33rpm for singles........just a idea?,i have a Gloria Lynne on Everest,i see your face before me.

We do not my friend.

This is more common in some parts of south America, mainly in Argentina and Brazil. It's rather hard to find a mexican 7" on 33 1/3 RPM. Thay're all 45 RPM singles and EPs. There's a few, though, as well as US ones. I always thought you could record way more time on 33 than on 45 RPM, and as most of the pop tunes on single were no longer than 3 minutes, there was no need to do that.

Cheers froom Mexico,

Dante

Edited by Dante
Social source share

We do not my friend.

This is more common in some parts of south America, mainly in Argentina and Brazil. It's rather hard to find a mexican 7" on 33 1/3 RPM. Thay're all 45 RPM singles and EPs. There's a few, though, as well as US ones. I always thought you could record way more time on 33 than on 45 RPM, and as most of the pop tunes on single were no longer than 3 minutes, there was no need to do that.

Cheers froom Mexico,

Dante

Was gonna`say Argentina. huh.gif

Social source share

RCA tried 7 inch EPs that played at 33 1/3 in the very early 60s. One was Elvis Presley's Elvis By Request EP, had 4 tracks, It's Now Or Never, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Flaming Star, and Summer Kisses Winter Tears. According to the Billboard Book of US Top 40 Hits it got to number 14 in the American singles chart in 1961. Quite good bearing in mind that the first 2 tracks had only recently been number one hits there.

At the time the EP wasn't issued in the UK for some reason. I don't know if it was ever issued at that speed over here. There must have been a reason for manufacturing 7 inch records at that speed, but for the life of me, I don't know, or if I did I've forgotten. Oh dear, the joys of age. But don't think it was the length of the song.

Were any 12 inch singles in the "disco" era 33 1/3 rpm?

Social source share

Hello,

The flip side of our Bobby Hutton single "Twenty Years Later" (Selecta SSP 8002) plays at 33 rpm because it has a duration of 5:31.

To get top quality we cut it at 33 rpm on copper plates at EMI Abbey Road. At 45 rpm the grooves would have been so close that the volume would have been very low.

The 'A' side, by the way, plays at 45 rpm because it isn't quite as long.

It may not be common for 7" singles to play at 33 rpm or to have different speeds on different sides but it happens often on 12" singles.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

Hi shep,

'Scuse my ignorance but is it a long record ? Reason I ask is I remember Roberta Kelly "Troublemaker" single coming out in the UK as the full LP version playing at 33 ( and my old mate Steve Plimmer being peed off 'cos he"d just forked out for the import LP ) this was pre 12 inch days tho.

I've also got a couple of Philly Int things, "Love I Lost" and "Wake Up Everybody" that are 33rpm singles playing the full LP versions.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, ive just had a look and its 5 minutes long sothat would explain it for this 45, are all the other 45 that play at 33 equally as long then ?

and does anyone want to trade my celeste hardie for george smallwoods - hey mamma

shep

Social source share

Hi Paul, ive just had a look and its 5 minutes long sothat would explain it for this 45, are all the other 45 that play at 33 equally as long then ?

shep

Hello

Yes it's all about duration and / or maximum loudness. Even when something can physically fit onto a single at 45 rpm, it's often better to cut it at 33 to give more space between the grooves - resulting in higher volume.

Many cutting rooms and pressing plants will not guarantee sound quality if a long track is cut on 7" at 45 rpm. They persuade their customers to edit tracks or reduce the speed.

However, I have often issued 7" singles exceeding durations of 5:00 at 45 rpm and they have sounded fine. The engineers were worried in some cases but they worked okay.

A lot depends on the skills of the engineer and the quality of the materials.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello

Yes it's all about duration and / or maximum loudness. Even when something can physically fit onto a single at 45 rpm, it's often better to cut it at 33 to give more space between the grooves - resulting in higher volume.

Many cutting rooms and pressing plants will not guarantee sound quality if a long track is cut on 7" at 45 rpm. They persuade their customers to edit tracks or reduce the speed.

However, I have often issued 7" singles exceeding durations of 5:00 at 45 rpm and they have sounded fine. The engineers were worried in some cases but they worked okay.

A lot depends on the skills of the engineer and the quality of the materials.

Paul Mooney

Have a copy of Barbara Dane - Goodby Daddy Goodby on Capitol 33 Compact. Opposite seems to apply on this in that volume is markedly lower than majority of 45's I own.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert