Ska Ska Ska

Denbo

What information does anybody have on Cindy Starr - Pain Of Love / Hippy Ska - UK Yellow Columbia Blue Beat 45rpm Series?

Indeed, has anybody got a complete listing of the UK Yellow Columbia Blue Beat 45rpm Series records?

Cheers.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Pete,

Tend to avoid these? These what? Yellow Columbia Blue Beat 45rpm Series? Why? :lol:

Because in 99% of cases, I just don't like UK produced ska/reggae. It's the same as the people who don't like UK northern stompers I suppose. There's just that slight polish that's missing from Jamaican recordings which makes them so raw.

Social source share

Because in 99% of cases, I just don't like UK produced ska/reggae. It's the same as the people who don't like UK northern stompers I suppose. There's just that slight polish that's missing from Jamaican recordings which makes them so raw.

Actually Pete, I DO know what you mean BUT you've not heard 'Hippy Ska', which I think is excellent. Only wish I could do soundbytes, I'd send you a listen. (Send you a listen? Somehow, that made sense!).

Social source share

:lol: I agree 100% with you. There are some Byron Lee stuff tailor made for the US scene (:thumbup:) that aren't rough and tough enough, but besides that, that raw sound is THE thing I like about ska, and soul, and reggae, and basically every music genre :D

Social source share

:thumbup: I agree 100% with you. There are some Byron Lee stuff tailor made for the US scene ( :D ) that aren't rough and tough enough, but besides that, that raw sound is THE thing I like about ska, and soul, and reggae, and basically every music genre tongue.gif

Having said all that, have you actually heard the "Hippy Ska" track?

I think it fits the bill and would go down extremely well. :D

Still, what do I know. You lot are the experts. :lol:

Social source share

Having said all that, have you actually heard the "Hippy Ska" track?

I think it fits the bill and would go down extremely well. :thumbup:

Still, what do I know. You lot are the experts. :lol:

Ooooooh c'moon

First, I haven't heard the track, must be good if you say so :D

And, I'm not an expert, I just know I like the rough sound of jamaican ska and I'd rather dance or listen to a blank ska tune that I don't know anything about, than Millie Small or stuff like that :D

Social source share

They are all UK Tailor mades aren't they?

Bit like the Wigans Ovation of the Ska collectors scene...

Pikey, do you EVER have anything to say that's not negative or sarky? :D:lol:

Have you actually heard anything off the label? :thumbup:

Still, at least you had some knowledge of the label and something to say about the label's direction.

Social source share

Formed after Siggy Jackson had left Melodisc, following a disagreement with Emile Shallit. Using mostly locally-recorded material, based around ska bands gigging on the London scene, Siggy's label released around twenty singles between 1967 and 1970. Mostly featuring British-based artists, like The Bees, Blue River & The Maroons and Cindy Starr , the label was fairly successful, but really came too late for any lasting impact on the ska scene and was out of touch with the more authentic feel of the Jamaican releases on Fab. Having said that, every release on Columbia Blue Beat is a collectable, and Siggy Jackson is to be applauded for his contribution and for setting up the label in the first place.

DB-101Jesse James Rides Again/The Girl In My DreamsThe BeesDB-102Rock Steady/Blowin' In The WindLaurel Aitken DB-103Witchcraft Man/Searching For You BabyBlue Rivers & MaroonsDB-104Lover Like You/Cup Of LoveDave Smith & the AstronautsDB-105Limbo Girl/Soul Of The JungleInvadersDB-106I'm Still In Love With You Girl/Blue RhythmLaurel Aitken DB-107Pain Of Love/Hippy SkaCindy Starr & The Rude BoysDB-108Whiskey & Soda/Do ItThe MopedsDB-109Stop Teasing/Invaders At CarnivalInvadersDB-110The Way I Do/Sad Movies Make Me CryCindy Starr & The MopedsDB-111The Prisoner From Alcatraz/The Skas The Limit The BeesDB-112Play It Cool/Rude With MeDandy & Superboys DB-113That's How Strong My Love Is/Trouble In TownBobby ThompsonDB-114Dearest/London CityBonnie Blue FranksonDB-115Please Don't Stop The Wedding/Your Love, Your LoveRoot BoysDB-116Reggae All Night/A Million Marvellous FeelingsJohnny MackDB-117Love Me Forever/Sugar SugarSilver & NoreenDB-118Adam And Eve/Send Me The PillowThe BleechersDB-119Oh Me, Oh My/It's LoveReaction/Reco

THE BLUEBEAT STORY . COM :lol:

Social source share

Lansdowne Studios, better known for jazz, also released UK produced ska on Columbia in 1964 - two singles and an EP by Ezz Reco & the Launchers. One of these, a cover of Jimmy Cliff's "King Of Kings" was a UK Top 50 hit.

Guess it was the first UK produced ska/reggae single to enter the UK charts, or even the only single to enter the UK charts which starts off with the sound effect of a stomach rumbling!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Lansdowne Studios, better known for jazz, also released UK produced ska on Columbia in 1964 - two singles and an EP by Ezz Reco & the Launchers. One of these, a cover of Jimmy Cliff's "King Of Kings" was a UK Top 50 hit.

Guess it was the first UK produced ska/reggae single to enter the UK charts, or even the only single to enter the UK charts which starts off with the sound effect of a stomach rumbling!

I thought it was meant to be a lion roaring!

Good version actually that.

I've got Laurel Aitken on Columbia DB 7280 doing a version of Don't Stay Out Late b/w Be Mine, no production credits whatsoever but must surely be a UK production.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

'Jesse James Rides Again' and 'Whiskey and Soda' are both good. don't recall any of the others.

"That's How Strong My Love Is" is the OV Wright song, 'Bobby Thomspon' is an alias for Dandy Livingstone. It's not a bad record, apart from some cheesy mellotron strings.

I think i must have heard at least 95% of the records on this label, and at least 75% of that 95% are not worth making any real effort to hear more than once. As you say, though, the Bees and the Mopeds are both quite good in a hamfisted, UK sort of way. Very much of thir time, though.

"Jesse James Rides Again" was also supposed to have come out on the 'real' Blue Beat label, was allocated a catalogue number and everything, but I don't think that anyone's ever tracked down a finished copy or even a test pressing...

Social source share

Formed after Siggy Jackson had left Melodisc, following a disagreement with Emile Shallit. Using mostly locally-recorded material, based around ska bands gigging on the London scene, Siggy's label released around twenty singles between 1967 and 1970. Mostly featuring British-based artists, like The Bees, Blue River & The Maroons and Cindy Starr , the label was fairly successful, but really came too late for any lasting impact on the ska scene and was out of touch with the more authentic feel of the Jamaican releases on Fab. Having said that, every release on Columbia Blue Beat is a collectable, and Siggy Jackson is to be applauded for his contribution and for setting up the label in the first place.

DB-101Jesse James Rides Again/The Girl In My DreamsThe BeesDB-102Rock Steady/Blowin' In The WindLaurel Aitken DB-103Witchcraft Man/Searching For You BabyBlue Rivers & MaroonsDB-104Lover Like You/Cup Of LoveDave Smith & the AstronautsDB-105Limbo Girl/Soul Of The JungleInvadersDB-106I'm Still In Love With You Girl/Blue RhythmLaurel Aitken DB-107Pain Of Love/Hippy SkaCindy Starr & The Rude BoysDB-108Whiskey & Soda/Do ItThe MopedsDB-109Stop Teasing/Invaders At CarnivalInvadersDB-110The Way I Do/Sad Movies Make Me CryCindy Starr & The MopedsDB-111The Prisoner From Alcatraz/The Skas The Limit The BeesDB-112Play It Cool/Rude With MeDandy & Superboys DB-113That's How Strong My Love Is/Trouble In TownBobby ThompsonDB-114Dearest/London CityBonnie Blue FranksonDB-115Please Don't Stop The Wedding/Your Love, Your LoveRoot BoysDB-116Reggae All Night/A Million Marvellous FeelingsJohnny MackDB-117Love Me Forever/Sugar SugarSilver & NoreenDB-118Adam And Eve/Send Me The PillowThe BleechersDB-119Oh Me, Oh My/It's LoveReaction/Reco

THE BLUEBEAT STORY . COM :rolleyes:

Good info mate, thankyou very much! Some very good tunes there IMHO

I thought it was meant to be a lion roaring!

Good version actually that.

I've got Laurel Aitken on Columbia DB 7280 doing a version of Don't Stay Out Late b/w Be Mine, no production credits whatsoever but must surely be a UK production.

If I'm not wrong the ones issued between 67 and 68 are all Laurel's Uk productions. Best band on the label, in my opinion, The Bees, when they started recording as Pyramds, etc :D

I'm not sure, but maybe it was in this label where Laurel issued Never You Hurt, a really cool soul tune, you can find it in the Work Your Soul Trojan comp.

Cheers

Dante

PS check this: https://www.xs4all.nl/~tapirs/columbb7.htm

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Good info mate, thankyou very much! Some very good tunes there IMHO

If I'm not wrong the ones issued between 67 and 68 are all Laurel's Uk productions. Best band on the label, in my opinion, The Bees, when they started recording as Pyramds, etc :thumbsup:

I'm not sure, but maybe it was in this label where Laurel issued Never You Hurt, a really cool soul tune, you can find it in the Work Your Soul Trojan comp.

Cheers

Dante

PS check this: https://www.xs4all.nl/~tapirs/columbb7.htm

Cheers Dante for the link and thanks everybody else for their comments. Useful / informative thread.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert