Southern Soul - Anyone Playing It?

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Goldwax

Are there any DJ's in the UK that play a large selection of Southern in their sets or does anyone know of any UK based radio shows that play this genre? TIA

Paul Weller played Eddie Giles - Losing Boy at Madam Jo Jo's a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt if any Northern DJ would play a majority Southern set but would be nice to hear more or at least a regular radio show.

Social source share

Always features large in my sets, Neil.

It's where it all began for me so I'm always buying (and promoting) Southern stuff.

Recent sets of mine at Yarmouth and elsewhere include tracks from Donnie Ray, Monique Ford, Vick Allen, Toni Green, Chuck Roberson, Quinn Golden, Sir Charles Jones, Terry Kimble and many more. Artists that just don't get an airing in the mainstream 'UK' Soul circles.

I mentioned (quite vigourously) on EMS recently (Ivor Goodear) about the fact that most 'Modern' DJ's avoid it like the plague. Its sad really as I still believe its the real deal... you've just got to hunt harder to find the good stuff these days.

I'd love to do a full set of Southern Grits, and am sure to drop a few this Sunday at Burton "Without Boundaries"... although, as I'm doing the last hour, I'll probably find a burning cross outside when I get home.

'Kin Rednecks get everywhere!

:rolleyes:

Sean

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Always features large in my sets, Neil.

It's where it all began for me so I'm always buying (and promoting) Southern stuff.

Recent sets of mine at Yarmouth and elsewhere include tracks from Donnie Ray, Monique Ford, Vick Allen, Toni Green, Chuck Roberson, Quinn Golden, Sir Charles Jones, Terry Kimble and many more. Artists that just don't get an airing in the mainstream 'UK' Soul circles.

I mentioned (quite vigourously) on EMS recently (Ivor Goodear) about the fact that most 'Modern' DJ's avoid it like the plague. Its sad really as I still believe its the real deal... you've just got to hunt harder to find the good stuff these days.

I'd love to do a full set of Southern Grits, and am sure to drop a few this Sunday at Burton "Without Boundaries"... although, as I'm doing the last hour, I'll probably find a burning cross outside when I get home.

'Kin Rednecks get everywhere!

:rolleyes:

Sean

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

Well if ever you are playing in London please PM me.

Real soul is Southern ! :D

Social source share

Well if ever you are playing in London please PM me.

Real soul is Southern ! :thumbup:

I might have guessed, with a name like Goldwax, that we'd be of the same mind.

Rarely get to DJ in London but I was on at Monumental recently and would certainly be up for more bookings down South. In the immediate future it would certainly be worth the trip Northwards for you (or anyone else into real Soul) this Sunday to "Without Boundaries" at Burton.

I would have though that all the DJ's there would be programming a fair share of Southern Grits!

:shades:

Sean

Social source share

THINK MOST THROW ONE OR TWO IN,THE BARONS -ON SHAGG USED TO GET A SPIN FROM ME ETC,ALOT OF MY DEEP COLECTION IS SOUTHERN.

BAZ A

"As Sure as You're Born " ??? - nice. I used to play that out as well.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Always manage to drop a few in at any moddun gigs

maybe I don't understand what you Brits call 'Southern Soul', but if you mean soul records from the South isn't there thousands that get played, even some that are very trendy right now?

Guitar Ray on SHAGG, Percy Stone 'Chained', anything by Eula Cooper, the Blues Brothers #1, Charles Mr CC Carlson, etc etc etc..

Social source share

maybe I don't understand what you Brits call 'Southern Soul', but if you mean soul records from the South isn't there thousands that get played, even some that are very trendy right now?

Guitar Ray on SHAGG, Percy Stone 'Chained', anything by Eula Cooper, the Blues Brothers #1, Charles Mr CC Carlson, etc etc etc..

play the flip of cc carlson [what a deep soul scorcher] thumbsup.gif

BAZ A

Social source share

Sure, they are all Southern soul... but don't tell anyone will ya'.

They prefer to call even 'Southern' records Northern Soul over here.

:lol:

To be fair, I think the original poster, Neil, was referring to Contemporary Southern Soul as per the artists I referred to earlier in the thread (but I may be mistaken).

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Sure, they are all Southern soul... but don't tell anyone will ya'.

They prefer to call even 'Southern' records Northern Soul over here.

:P

To be fair, I think the original poster, Neil, was referring to Contemporary Southern Soul as per the artists I referred to earlier in the thread (but I may be mistaken).

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Oh, so 2007 indie southern soul CD tracks then g.gif In which case I am not presently playing any :lol::lol: Though I have had my moments in the past :lol:

See y'awll Sunday at the Coors Visitor Centre!......Steve

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Apparently, according to StuartT, his mate, he's an anarchist Sean.

You'll get on well laugh.gif . Black flags all round !

StuartT reads the Daily Telegraph - using the wrong fork is anarchy to him.

Southern Soul Anarchic Alliance :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert