Buying Records From Germany?

Denbo

I've only ever bought four records from Germany and ALL FOUR I've had problems with.

The first time, I had to return because it was nowhere near as described and even then I had to argue with the guy to get my return postage paid. To be fair though, that was resolved but not without a big difference of opinion. Everything between us is okay now, I think? :o)

The second time, I never received my record, nor did I get a refund, largely due to being unable to make my dispute via eBay / PayPal as you have to do it via the German branch of eBay / PayPal and it's all in German. Unfortunately, I cannot communicate in any way in German, I took French at school as my language option. :o(

The guy would not return my communications via eBay.

If anybody knows how I can register a dispute via eBay / PayPal without it having to be in German, please let me know. I've been in touch with eBay / PayPal and they say there is nothing they can do to help. What a load of crap. They just don't want to know because the amount I'm disputing is so low they probably don't think it's worth the effort. I'm trying to make the dispute on principal, not because of the amount involved!!!

If there is anybody out there from Germany that would like to help, please PM me. Thanks if you can.

The third time, again, I never received my record but at least this time the guy has kept in touch and has established with his local Post Office that the wrong address was used? I can only guess he wrote down an incorrect or incomplete address and it was somehow returned to the Post Office from whence he sent it? Anyhow, he's got my correct address now, which was clearly available to him the first time around as I paid by PayPal, but I still haven't received my record. Having said that, it was only about a week and a half ago, so there's still a bit of time yet before I find myself having to contact him again.

The fourth and probably the last time I'll buy from Germany at this rate, the record arrived with a dent / tiny crack, and a small chip hanging on by a thread on the outside edge of the styrene record adjacent to the dent / crack. It still plays but it "ain't as described" and I suspect it was sent in that state, or it's been damaged in transit. There is a dent in the packaging, fairly close to where the dent / crack is but what makes me suspicious is that where the dent / crack is, on the flipside of the record, the corresponding 'bump' shows signs of local wear at the centre of the bump, suggesting the dent / crack has been there a while and has rubbed against other records or flat surface causing this wear. A bit like the wear you might expect around the knees on jeans or elbows on a corduroy jacket, etc, if you get my meaning.

I was hoping to sell this record on to help pay toward my own collection copy but I'm not sure I'd get much more for it now than what I paid. Cost me $40 and was hoping to sell it for about £60.

So, as you can see, I've definitely not been at all lucky with my transactions with Germany.

Do any of you have similar experiences that might be worth mentioning because I'm on the verge of forgetting all about purchases from Germany, which is a shame, because I doubt if every transaction from Germany has been as bad for others as my four. Or have they???

Please let us all know.

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've only ever bought four records from Germany and ALL FOUR I've had problems with.

The first time, I had to return because it was nowhere near as described and even then I had to argue with the guy to get my return postage paid. To be fair though, that was resolved but not without a big difference of opinion. Everything between us is okay now, I think? :o)

The second time, I never received my record, nor did I get a refund, largely due to being unable to make my dispute via eBay / PayPal as you have to do it via the German branch of eBay / PayPal and it's all in German. Unfortunately, I cannot communicate in any way in German, I took French at school as my language option. :o(

If anybody knows how I can register a dispute via eBay / PayPal without it having to be in German, please let me know. I've been in touch with eBay / PayPal and they say there is nothing they can do to help. What a load of crap. They just don't want to know because the amount I'm disputing is so low they probably don't think it's worth the effort. I'm trying to make the dispute on principal, not because of the amount involved!!!

If there is anybody out there from Germany that would like to help, please PM me. Thanks if you can.

The third time, again, I never received my record but at least this time the guy has kept in touch and has established with his local Post Office that the wrong address was used? I can only guess he wrote down an incorrect or incomplete address and it was somehow returned to the Post Office from whence he sent it? Anyhow, he's got my correct address now, which was clearly available to him the first time around as I paid by PayPal, but I still haven't received my record. Having said that, it was only about a week and a half ago, so there's still a bit of time yet before I find myself having to contact him again.

The fourth and probably the last time I'll buy from Germany at this rate, the record arrived with a dent / tiny crack, and a small chip hanging on by a thread on the outside edge of the styrene record adjacent to the dent / crack. It still plays but it "ain't as described" and I suspect it was sent in that state, or it's been damaged in transit. There is a dent in the packaging, fairly close to where the dent / crack is but what makes me suspicious is that where the dent / crack is, on the flipside of the record, the corresponding 'bump' shows signs of local wear at the centre of the bump, suggesting the dent / crack has been there a while and has rubbed against other records or flat surface causing this wear. A bit like the wear you might expect around the knees on jeans or elbows on a corduroy jacket, etc, if you get my meaning.

I was hoping to sell this record on to help pay toward my own collection copy but I'm not sure I'd get much more for it now than what I paid. Cost me $40 and was hoping to sell it for about £60.

So, as you can see, I've definitely not been at all lucky with my transactions with Germany.

Do any of you have similar experiences that might be worth mentioning because I'm on the verge of forgetting all about purchases from Germany, which is a shame, because I doubt if every transaction from Germany has been as bad for others as my four. Or have they???

Please let us all know.

Hi there, try this link, it may help you communicate with Germans. https://www.freetranslation.com/

Just copy and paste there text into the box provided and it translates. Hope this helps with one of your problems.

Cheers Tony

Social source share

bizarre.

the only time Ive had problems in the last 5 years of dealing via ebay and ss was Germany.

The record was art freeman slipping around Fame White Promo...I sent the £100 cash via signed for and the seller never recieved it...I was so annoyed I paid for it via my bros paypal and record recieved.

It went awol en route.

The hoo ha with our Royal Mail aint worth writing about suffice to say when I was asked to prove where I got my £100 cash from I told them to foxtrot.

The Germans are ok they like us have their fair share of turds...

Social source share

ive had stuff from marc forrest in germany..the record arrived better than described and in quick time

my copy of the tan geers was perfect

moldie

Hi Moldie,

I'm happy to hear that and Marc is a good guy, I know him, BUT I stand by my experiences and suspect I can't be the only one with this spell of bad experiences?

Thanks to Tony too, I'll try that tomorrow.

Social source share

Please let us all know.

BOUGHT A LOT OF STUFF FROM GERMAN SELLERS AND NEVER ANY PROBS!

THORSTEN WAGNERS SITE IS SUPERB, GREAT RECORDS&ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO DEAL WITH.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...GIH:en%26sa%3DG

JOERG BRENNER IS ALSO A TOP BLOKE AND CHEAP ESP FOR DJ CONDITION RECORDS

https://www.puresoulie.com/index.html

NEV :rolleyes:

Social source share

BOUGHT A LOT OF STUFF FROM GERMAN SELLERS AND NEVER ANY PROBS!

THORSTEN WAGNERS SITE IS SUPERB, GREAT RECORDS&ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO DEAL WITH.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...GIH:en%26sa%3DG

I've bought from the first site a few times in the past and to be fair, hadn't realised I was dealing with a German supplier, thought it was Swedish for some reason? So, I need to update my original posting / comments to firmly exclude Thorsten Wagner's site. Sorry Thorsten, you must know I was not getting at you in any way at all. Yours is a Great site. Particularly like the way you list your updates in BOLD letters. Nice touch. Keep sending me those emails of your site updates :o)

As for the other site, I've never had dealings with them and until now didn't know of them at all, so again, apologies to them too, my comments were not aimed at them.

To be fair to myself though, I did say / infer at the beginning that I was dealing with individuals posting on eBay.

Social source share

Best stay away from german E bay if you ask me......................................leave it for me an' Sidney Bridge :rolleyes:

Cheers Paul

Take it you've not had any problems with Germany and you're happy to hear others might have so you can keep it all to yourself (and Sidney Bridge) :shhh:

Social source share

Guest markus gora

Please let us all know.

sad to hear that...i sold & still sell a lot of records to the uk and never had any problems...sounds to me that you always picked the wrong guy to buy from....(if have 100's of examples like that buying from the statesides,italy,belgium and of course the uk...)...anyway if you ever need some help with german sellers or german speech...i'm willing to help....all the best: markus from hamburg (germany)

Social source share

Glad you said that, just bought 2 off him this week off evil bay and never bought from Germany before, but as they were cheapies thought I would take a punt. I look forward to receiving them from him :shhh:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Glad you said that, just bought 2 off him this week off evil bay and never bought from Germany before, but as they were cheapies thought I would take a punt. I look forward to receiving them from him :rolleyes:

QoFxx

i have bought loads of Puresoulie and he has never ever let me down, one of the best sellers on ebay, i got a message from him saying that the german ebay is ripping him off and he is no longer taking paypal but i would trust him with a bank transfer 100%, it wont stop me buying tunes from him he is a top fella

Bearsy

Social source share

Take it you've not had any problems with Germany and you're happy to hear others might have so you can keep it all to yourself (and Sidney Bridge)
:rolleyes:

Spot on about keeping it to "ourselves" tho I think we're deluding ourselves if we think thats true

I'm never happy to hear about others having problems with sellers

Sorry you took my flippant comment the wrong way

I know a few German dealers/collecters if theres anything I can do to help I'd be only too pleased

Cheers Paul

Social source share

i have bought loads of Puresoulie and he has never ever let me down, one of the best sellers on ebay, i got a message from him saying that the german ebay is ripping him off and he is no longer taking paypal but i would trust him with a bank transfer 100%, it wont stop me buying tunes from him he is a top fella

Bearsy

Took paypal off me this week, mind you it was only for the price of a couple of pints but seems a realy decent chap very prompt communication :rolleyes:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Bearsy

I agree with you Bearsy.

By the way, what is it costing you to pay via Bank transfer?

Is that an IBAN you're talking about?

Social source share

Just a thought, how can you generalise about sellers from one country when there could be many good sellers in the country, perhaps people outside the UK are saying the same about some UK sellers that may be a bit dodgy, but it doesn't mean they are all bad :rolleyes:

I know we have had discussion before about sellers from certain countries, belgium springs to mind, but all the sellers in belgium can't be bad and maybe it would be better to mention specific sellers and not generalise about a country............just a thought, not trying to be contraversial.

QoFxx

Social source share

I agree with you Bearsy.

By the way, what is it costing you to pay via Bank transfer?

Is that an IBAN you're talking about?

I havent had to do that yet but before i do buy off him again i will find out costings first,

if it hits his sales he may well have to go back to paypal and to be honest i think he will,

its a lot of hassle to bank transfer but i may be able to do it on the internet but got to find out a bit more about it first

Social source share

I havent had to do that yet but before i do buy off him again i will find out costings first,

if it hits his sales he may well have to go back to paypal and to be honest i think he will,

its a lot of hassle to bank transfer but i may be able to do it on the internet but got to find out a bit more about it first

I think you'll be surprised at the cost. But check it out for yourself first, then let us all know :o)

Social source share

Just a thought, how can you generalise about sellers from one country when there could be many good sellers in the country, perhaps people outside the UK are saying the same about some UK sellers that may be a bit dodgy, but it doesn't mean they are all bad :rolleyes:

I know we have had discussion before about sellers from certain countries, belgium springs to mind, but all the sellers in belgium can't be bad and maybe it would be better to mention specific sellers and not generalise about a country............just a thought, not trying to be contraversial.

QoFxx

Hi Chrissie,

Am I generalising? I thought I was being very specific? I've had four buys from 'individuals' on eBay from Germany and I've had problems with all four!!!

Yes, I might be unlucky, and I probably am, but it gets to you when it's four from four.

But I take your point, I'm NOT getting at everybody in Germany or everything that passes through the German Post Office, but like I said, four out of four gets you down a bit don't you think?

Social source share

Bearsy

REGARDING THE PAYPAL ISSUE...

IF IM CORRECT HE DOESNT TAKE PAYPAL OFF GERMAN CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF SOMETHING TO DO WITH GERMAN PAYPAL CHARGES ,BUT HE IS OK WITH UK BUYERS PAYING WITH PAYPAL.

MAYBE MARKUS CAN LET US KNOW IF THIS IS THE CASE.

HAVING SAID THAT THORSTEN HAS NEVER REFUSED PAYPAL PAYMENTS ???

Social source share

NEV thumbsup.gif

I've bought from Joerg aswell and never had any problems. Good communication and timely delivery. Buy with confidence

No problem recommending him. If there IS a general problem with German dealers I think it'd be unfair to tar him with the same brush.

John

Social source share

I've bought from Joerg aswell and never had any problems. Good communication and timely delivery. Buy with confidence

No problem recommending him. If there IS a general problem with German dealers I think it'd be unfair to tar him with the same brush.

John

My problem has been with individuals from Germany and NOT dealers.

Social source share

Sorry to hear you're having problems buying in Germany. Think this may also be problem of the post connecting between Germany and England, as I have also had problems buying from the island a couple of times (living in Germany, i should add).

If you have problems in the future, dont hesitate to contact me, i'd be happy to help with translation. Or sending in thug-troops if necessary, might be easier to organise from this side of the channel. wink.gif

Social source share

Sorry to hear you're having problems buying in Germany. Think this may also be problem of the post connecting between Germany and England, as I have also had problems buying from the island a couple of times (living in Germany, i should add).

If you have problems in the future, dont hesitate to contact me, i'd be happy to help with translation. Or sending in thug-troops if necessary, might be easier to organise from this side of the channel. wink.gif

Thanks MissM

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert