Paul Anka - Northern Soul Hero

Sunnysoul

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does anyone know if Paul Anka was ever aware of the popularity on the scene of "I Can't Help Loving You" and "When We Get There" ?

I would like to think so, however no mention of his 2 great northern outings on the official website, 'I Cant Help Loving You' is in the RCA discography, however I cant see 'When We Get There' listed, but then again it is early and still half asleep at work lol

Grant

Social source share

I would like to think so, however no mention of his 2 great northern outings on the official website, 'I Cant Help Loving You' is in the RCA discography, however I cant see 'When We Get There' listed, but then again it is early and still half asleep at work lol

Grant

Would be good to see him perform them live although his fee to do a Northern gig now in the UK would no doubt be huge !!!

Social source share

Would be good to see him perform them live although his fee to do a Northern gig now in the UK would no doubt be huge !!!

I dont know if it is true, but I was told in the 70's

when I Can't Help Loving You' first started to be played on the Northern Scene.

that he couldn't remember recording it.

Might be one of those rumours that circulate about.

Social source share

I dont know if it is true, but I was told in the 70's
when I Can't Help Loving You' first started to be played on the Northern Scene.
that he couldn't remember recording it.
Might be one of those rumours that circulate about.

Yes, I think it was Tony Cummings mentioned it in Black Music back in the 70's.

No surprise that Anka couldn't remember those tunes, Can't Help Loving You never charted in the States and by 1966 or '67 Anka and all the other teen idols of the late 50's were stone motherless cold in the States in terms of chart placings .

Still Paul Anka would have been a very very wealthy man purely on the songwriting credits and success of "My Way" !!! Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I was recomended a record of hes a couple of years ago "Too Late" so I found a copy and bought it blind as it was recomended by a good source, found a Canadian issue on ebay and was well pleassed with me self.. waited for the postie to deliver it... all excited put it on the decks... intro kicked in and ........... terrible record.... wacko.gif

Social source share

Yes, I think it was Tony Cummings mentioned it in Blues & Soul or Black Music back in the 70's.

No surprise that Anka couldn't remember those tunes, Can't Help Loving You never charted in the States and by 1966 or '67 Anka and all the other teen idols of the late 50's were stone motherless cold in the States in terms of chart placings .

Still Paul Anka would have been a very very wealthy man purely on the songwriting credits and success of "My Way" !!!

Thanks for that,

If anyone hasn't seen it before there is a wonderful account by John Manship Post #22

regarding how "I Can't Help Loving You" was discovered......... >>> LINK <<<

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Must admit over the last few years, that I also like the Jimmy Breedlove version of ICHLY, but did not like it back in the 70s.

There were quite a few White pop artists who dabbled in the motown/r&b style at that time and some records were very good, like 'whose little girl are you' and 'breakout' Another good reason to put 'Northern' before 'Soul'.

Ed

Social source share

Must admit over the last few years, that I also like the Jimmy Breedlove version of ICHLY, but did not like it back in the 70s.

There were quite a few White pop artists who dabbled in the motown/r&b style at that time and some records were very good, like 'whose little girl are you' and 'breakout' Another good reason to put 'Northern' before 'Soul'.

Ed

Whose Little Girl Are You : Danny Williams ?

Mr Williams was ... ahem ... coloured ... was he not ?

Social source share

Guest sasquatch

Paul Anka is originally from the town I live in. He has a road named after him out by the Airport haha. I think I should attempt to hut down a copy of "I can't stop loving you" locally, though nearly no shops sells 45 in town :S

Social source share

Guest SteveSnow

I was recomended a record of hes a couple of years ago "Too Late" so I found a copy and bought it blind as it was recomended by a good source, found a Canadian issue on ebay and was well pleassed with me self.. waited for the postie to deliver it... all excited put it on the decks... intro kicked in and ........... terrible record.... wacko.gif

You're not thinking of Neil Sedaka are you Paul?

Social source share

He also wrote 'He's A Rebel' by the Crystals. Reminded of this by a Chanel 4 programme called 3 minute wonder (7.55 to 8.00) that was aired only 1/2 hour ago.

Pete

As far as I know He's A Rebel was composed by Gene Pitney, originally for Vicki Carr, but Phil Spector got in first with the Crystals.

Social source share

As far as I know He's A Rebel was composed by Gene Pitney, originally for Vicki Carr, but Phil Spector got in first with the Crystals.

Yes - and that's an easy one to check:

HE'S A REBEL

BMI Work #538936

Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #

PITNEY GENE BMI 63754761

Publishers

LITTLE A MUSIC BMI 438400179

UNICHAPPELL MUSIC INC BMI 55032802

Artists

CRYSTALS

FALLEN ANGELS (ROCK 60'S)

LOVE DARLENE

MC GOVERN MAUREEN

However, Anka has 694 Songwriter/Composer credits registered with BMI!

m

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert