Well Here Goes

• Replies 155
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Going to post this and then going to leave you all to fight it out.

My main complaint about NS these days is that it is becoming (or has become) a MAN thing.

When I was first involved in about 72 there was always a distinction between M & F and was always a male thing but not to the extent it is now.  We all went to Wigan or wherever together and there was no sexual distinction just mates having a night out.

I wont go to some of the best gigs near me because it's male orientated and a single woman (all be it of a certain age) is frowned upon and treated as a NS moron or just as there on the pull.  Girls, did you see the men in Prestatyn who would want to pull there anway.

I  just enjoy the music and the atmosphere so don't fret we are not after your precious 45s, GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appologies for spelling grammer etc as had a drink - or two.

link

I think thats a bit harsh about the men at Prestatyn, most were fine handsome men, in fact one even looked like Paul Wellers double & Eddie Pillar was there I hear :shhh:laugh.gifbiggrin.gif Would be nice if they all had sideburns though shades.gif

Social source share

So going back to Chrissies original post then and discounting the DJing element of females on the soul scene ...... shades.gif

I have always felt very comfortable, years ago hitching hundreds of miles and latterly driving to events and  happily attending on my own, knowing that I'd find a like minded bunch of people at the other end - men and women.

Someone on a radio show (not me) described it as a matriachal society, where the women look after the men. Must say I've never thought that at all - the buggers are big and ugly enough to look after themselves as far as I'm concerned  :shhh:

link

Maybe I'm just finding it a little more difficult being a 40+ returner after about a 23 year absence and non of my female mates are soulies and the sometimes man in my life wouldn't know a 45 if it hit him in the head. Someone said in one of the earlier posts that the oldies scene is more male dominated this is also maybe one of the problems as am an oldie fan but do listen and dance to other stuff.

GET A LIFE CHRISSIE COMES TO MIND

Social source share

I think thats a bit harsh about the men at Prestatyn, most were fine handsome men, in fact one even looked like Paul Wellers double & Eddie Pillar was there I hear laugh.gif   biggrin.gif   :shhh:   Would be nice if they all had sideburns though :shhh:

link

Did spot the paul weller double shades.gif

Social source share

Jo Wallace,That Girl Lyn,Lisa Hurley,Alison,Cookie,Rachel,Val,Katrina Dixon,Jumpin Joan,Liz Foster,Michelle Katzler ETC..I know all of these female djs and dont even think about boy/girl thing when i see them play..There are always gonna be some blokes who are stuck in there ways but i don't really feel it when i'm out...Its an older bloke thing and that is changing all the time...

Please please no more all girl line up things,i think its naff and patronising,you hear comments like "ooooooooh yes and they did very well bla bla bla"..I would put these and others on any line up with blokes and not even think about it..

Fu"k girl power or backward blokes club..Just soul power...

Rev..Derek Griffiths...Would you like to play away with me shades.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

girls should find it easier to DJ than men cos they have smaller feet enabling them to get nearer the decks... shades.gif .....however big boobs must be a disadvantage... :shhh:

seriously though I enjoyed the all girl night at the 100 club. the girls have much less ego and generally a different attitude to the men. I accept the guys in general have the bigger records but its the smaller records that will take the scene forward....not the played out biggies.

I just think most promoters need a bit more bottle and we will see more girls behind the decks.

Shane

Social source share

Maybe I'm just finding it a little more difficult being a 40+ returner after about a 23 year absence and non of my female mates are soulies and the sometimes man in my life wouldn't know a 45 if it hit him in the head.  Someone said in one of the earlier posts that the oldies scene is more male dominated this is also maybe one of the problems as am an oldie fan but do listen and dance to other stuff.

GET A LIFE CHRISSIE COMES TO MIND

link

I reckon after you've got a few more nights back under your belt you won't even thinnk about it Chrissie shades.gif One thing about this scene, its so friendly and embracing and I make no distinction between the men and women, apart fom the fact that Ginger Taylors make-up bag doesn't have any decent eyeliner and Steve Cato looks far better than me in stockings :shhh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

girls should find it easier to DJ than men cos they have smaller feet enabling them to get nearer the decks... shades.gif .....however big boobs must be a disadvantage... laugh.gif

seriously though I enjoyed the all girl night at the 100 club. the girls have much less ego and generally a different attitude to the men. I accept the guys in general have the bigger records but its the smaller records that will take the scene forward....not the played out biggies.

I just think most promoters need a bit more bottle and we will see more girls behind the decks.

Shane

link

Why do women make crap DJs, cos you dont get many record players in the kitchen.

Good point about the ego's tho. I went to a night put on by Lisa Hurley, Lynne Davies (That Girl), and Michelle Katzler. Had an absolute stonking time, and asked about loads of records. :shhh:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

perhaps we would get more women into DJ'ing if Technics did turntables in white to match the washing machine. shades.gif

only joking girls! :shhh:

Shane

Social source share

perhaps we would get more women into DJ'ing if Technics did turntables in white to match the washing machine. shades.gif

only joking girls!  biggrin.gif

Shane

link

White is soooooo last century - dontcha know that appliances all have to be stainless steel and chrome nowadays ! Men :shhh:laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

White is soooooo last century - dontcha know that appliances all have to be stainless steel and chrome nowadays ! Men  :shhh:   laugh.gif

link

I know a lady who has a rabbit type implement in stainless steel biggrin.gifshades.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

White is soooooo last century - dontcha know that appliances all have to be stainless steel and chrome nowadays ! Men  :shhh:   laugh.gif

link

that is because women of today can not clean (or cook!) like past generations. That is why kitchens are chrome and stainless! They need less maintanence so you can spend more time in 'nail bars'. You didnt worry about nails when you was using a wash board!

Also if a women was seen out of the house on a sunday she would be known as a 'pudding burner' where I come from. (yorkshire pudding that is!)

Shane

shades.gifbiggrin.gif:shhh::lol:

Social source share

that is because women of today can not clean (or cook!) like past generations. That is why kitchens are chrome and stainless! They need less maintanence so you can spend more time in 'nail bars'. You didnt worry about nails when you was using a wash board!

Also if a women was seen out of the house on a sunday she would be known as a 'pudding burner' where I come from. (yorkshire pudding that is!)

Shane

shades.gif   laugh.gif   biggrin.gif   :shhh:

link

Single man are you Shane ?

Social source share

I reckon after you've got a few more nights back under your belt you won't even thinnk about it Chrissie  shades.gif   One thing about this scene, its so friendly and embracing and I make no distinction between the men and women, apart fom the fact that Ginger Taylors make-up bag doesn't have any decent eyeliner and Steve Cato looks far better than me in stockings  laugh.gif

link

You lot av got me thinking (and thats definately a rare one probably about £3K on manship), its time I kicked myself up the arse got rid of the sometimes man and his collection of 80s pop shit (only after I have depostited his Ultravox, OMD and Adam and the Ants LP's over his head) and sent the original QOFs back OOTF.

Pattie Swallow would be appalled if she could see me now (Female DJ Orbit Club Rhyl, Early 70s one woman well ahead of her time)

:shhh:

Social source share

Shane

shades.gif   biggrin.gif   :shhh:   :shhh:

link

Oi you, I cook like a dream, my nails are real and I have a cleaner laugh.gif Now stop riling me up Shane or I'll have to challenge you to some leg wrestling and you KNOW I'd win :lol:

Edited by alison
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Oi you, I cook like a dream, my nails are real and I have a cleaner  shades.gif   Now stop riling me up Shane or I'll have to challenge you to some leg wrestling and you KNOW I'd win  :shhh:

link

can i move in with you and john?

please!

Shane

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I think he's likely to stay that way, if his posts on this thread are anything to go by! shades.gif   :shhh:   laugh.gif

link

i take it all back dave. biggrin.gif

shane

Social source share

can i move in with you and john?

please!

Shane

link

You are always welcome and can make as much mess as you like :shhh: However it may be required that you occasionally share a room with my best friend Lisa (single, 34, a beauty) laugh.gif

PS. See Chrissie, what a nice bunch of blokes the chaps on the NS scene are shades.gif

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

You are always welcome and can make as much mess as you like  laugh.gif However it may be required that you occasionally share a room with my best friend Lisa (single, 34, a beauty)  biggrin.gif

PS. See Chrissie, what a nice bunch of blokes the chaps on the NS scene are  :shhh:

link

don't you trust me with John? shades.gif

Shane

Social source share

miss who?

i dont know her but can you introduce us steve?

:shhh:

link

Yeah, she's a right darlin'. Short skirts, big chest. Gets your tea on the table when you get in from work, pours your beer, irons, cleans, and only talks about puppies and kittens.

In fact, reading your earlier post, your kind of a girl.

shades.gif

Social source share

You are always welcome and can make as much mess as you like  :D However it may be required that you occasionally share a room with my best friend Lisa (single, 34, a beauty)  :yes:

PS. See Chrissie, what a nice bunch of blokes the chaps on the NS scene are  ph34r.gif

link

You've heard about the mess as well then? :D:D

Social source share

Well Naimh had the support of the London contingent sat with me on Sunday night, when she went and told the boys off for playing disco in the main room. She was applauded and cheered the entire length of the room, across the stage, while she delivered he twopenneth, directly to those involved (Accompanied by the sounds of the O'Jays - I love music   :yes: ), and applauded all the way back.

Girl Power   ph34r.gif   :D

All the guys did was grumble amongst themselves.  :D

I think Andy BB described her as the Pocket Rocket. (With a neuclear warhead, I'd add, after Sunday)

link

The O'Jays "I Love Music" is a great record! I recall dancing to it this year. A bit commercial sounding and a million seller and all that, sure, but still brilliant 70's northern soul IMO. I think this was a popular Wigan spin, not to mention in the myriads of smaller youth clubs etc. of the 70's. Certainly better than "Little Queenie" and it's ilk anyway! I regret selling my Canadian Columbia copy (vinyl) to Soul Sam (of all people) at last years Prestatyn for £2, or maybe £3. Does anyone know if any US original 45 issue exists on vinyl? The demo perhaps?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The O'Jays "I Love Music" is a great record! I recall dancing to it this year. A bit commercial sounding and a million seller and all that, sure, but still brilliant 70's northern soul IMO. I think this was a popular Wigan spin, not to mention in the myriads of smaller youth clubs etc. of the 70's. Certainly better than "Little Queenie" and it's ilk anyway! I regret selling my Canadian Columbia copy (vinyl) to Soul Sam (of all people) at last years Prestatyn for £2, or maybe £3. Does anyone know if any US origianl 45 issue exists on vinyl? The demo perhaps?

link

Wow we agree. it was a floor packer at yate. And one of the records that's reputation wasnt diminished by having commercial sucess.

If anyone wants to see a picture of Naimh, the Pocket Rocket, she is pictured with Monkey, in the media section right now.

Social source share

I think "I Love Music" is one of the greatest records ever made, and perhaps one of the most influential (would House have existed without it?).

There is a vinyl promo in the US, but no issue. The vinyl tastes pretty good BTW.

link

Wonderful - so reminiscent of my youth when I still had the energy and the correct sized arse to dance my socks off.

I saw the O Jays in the 80's at Hammersmith - was very disappointed that they didn't perform this number ph34r.gif

(Has the US promo got Part 2 on the flip Gareth ?)

Social source share

I think "I Love Music" is one of the greatest records ever made, and perhaps one of the most influential (would House have existed without it?).

There is a vinyl promo in the US, but no issue. The vinyl tastes pretty good BTW.

link

Glad someone respectable agrees! ph34r.gif Well, what are you waiting for then? Let's have the vinyl demo, I need it pronto! Seriously, I want to buy a clean copy of the vinyl U.S. demo 45. Since it is practically a give away record I won't pay a fortune obviously but anything reasonable considered.

Regards

Christian

Social source share

I have a white demo 45 6min 51 sec long that plays at 33,bought it of soul sam,thats an import.I will gladly let you have it christian.

link

Cheers, but does it have a shorter (around 3 minutes) version on the flip? That's what I want. Very long tunes usually don't pack that much punch when compressed onto a 45. Not wanting to seem ungrateful or anything ph34r.gif .

Social source share

No they werent all equal, if they were there would be no such thing as an all girl line up, and how many of that line up have since been booked in their own rights at other major events?

link

I have!

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

and thats exactly how it should be  biggrin.gif

link

I guess most guys are like the O'kaysions we are "Girl Watchers" so more the merrier I say, I also know a few who know a thing or two about records.

Social source share

Guest katep

On the collecting/anorak side of things, it is a fact that women are less susceptible to certain types of obsessive behaviour, (and really that's what we are talking about) than men.

Dave

link

I agree with this to some extent. Most males we know are obsessive over matters such as football and not just watching it on tv, playing it or going to support their team. I used to go out with a lad who knew everything about and could name every English, Italian, Spanish, African, American, French, German, Japanese, Czech, Russian football player that ever lived. Not only in reality but also on the computer. Bloody CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER has a lot to answer for.

Having said that though, some women do get obsessive with other things such as the way they look, clothes, cosmetics, diets etc. So the tendencies are there for the women too.

I personally don't know enough about the music to become obsessive by facts and figures. I would love to know some info, so I could join in with more of the threads on here but I am relatively new to the scene and for me I know it'll take time for it to sink in. I am however reasonably obsessive about the music and have currently 1230 northern, modern, rare, rnb etc tracks on my ipod to listen to, and plenty more that I want to download on there.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I agree with this to some extent. Most males we know are obsessive over matters such as football and not just watching it on tv, playing it or going to support their team. I used to go out with a lad who knew everything about and could name every English, Italian, Spanish, African, American, French, German, Japanese, Czech, Russian football player that ever lived. Not only in reality but also on the computer. Bloody CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER has a lot to answer for.

Having said that though, some women do get obsessive with other things such as the way they look, clothes, cosmetics, diets etc. So the tendencies are there for the women too.

I personally don't know enough about the music to become obsessive by facts and figures. I would love to know some info, so I could join in with more of the threads on here but I am relatively new to the scene and for me I know it'll take time for it to sink in. I am however reasonably obsessive about the music and have currently 1230 northern, modern, rare, rnb etc tracks on my ipod to listen to, and plenty more that I want to download on there.

link

It wasnt me! I was more into 'monster trucks/robot wars' biggrin.gif

Shane

Social source share

Guest Trifle

Is the NS Scene male dominated?

YES!!!!! Woohoo!!!! blush.gif

(sorry if this opinion has already been expressed by someone else... but there were just tooooo many posts to read ... :yes: )

Social source share

link

Hi Kate,

I really meant serious obsessive stuff like alcohol etc but we are probably better off not going there! :D

I know some women can be obsessive....my ex-wife was obsessive about money: ie me working as much as possible so she could have as much as possible blush.gif

If you want to join in on the threads, do so :yes:

Look how many posts Shane makes......limited knowledge doesn't stop him :D

Just off to ask my lad what an ipod is :D

Dave

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

How much stick have I had on here this week!

Its all took well but I will get you b******ds back!

Shane

biggrin.gif

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Any DJ male or female that keeps ramming their views down promoters throats is doing neither sex any favours, and most are doing it because they are desperate for bookings (all very sad) if your good you will be asked again, quite simple really. Spouting off on here does you no favours

As for Disco in the northern rooms, im with the little ginger irish girl, and always have been, was nice of Ginger to ask me before his spot if it was OK for him to play certain tunes this time biggrin.gif

Social source share

James, how do you know what records the girls have or have not, are you privy to what they have in their collections?

Expertise comes from practice, unless they are given a chance they won't ever be able to improve.

Yes Cookie is right and I am with her 100% book someone for their sets not because they are either male or female but females are overlooked in the main because they are female.

And why because us girls have something to say on the matter are we called feminists?

link

Yep, Ive got some records which seem to be more 'popular' nowadays! But I dont go around saying what Ive got, half the time cant remember anyway! But Im not a dj and dont think I would be any good as one, I proved that last year, but we wont go into that!! :lol::D:lol:

Social source share

Jo Wallace,That Girl Lyn,Lisa Hurley,Alison,Cookie,Rachel,Val,Katrina Dixon,Jumpin Joan,Liz Foster,Michelle Katzler ETC..I know all of these female djs and dont even think about boy/girl thing when i see them play..There are always gonna be some blokes who are stuck in there ways but i don't really feel it when i'm out...Its an older bloke thing and that is changing all the time...

Please please no more all girl line up things,i think its naff and patronising,you hear comments like "ooooooooh yes and they did very well bla bla bla"..I would put these and others on any line up with blokes and not even think about it..

Fu"k girl power or backward blokes club..Just soul power...

Rev..Derek Griffiths...Would you like to play away with me :D

link

Hi Steve, dont forget Sally, heard her somewhere and she was good, of course as well as the rest you mentioned above, (havent heard what Rachel plays yet, but hope to soon?! & sure would be good too!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert