Well Here Goes

• Replies 155
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I agree with this to some extent. Most males we know are obsessive over matters such as football and not just watching it on tv, playing it or going to support their team. I used to go out with a lad who knew everything about and could name every English, Italian, Spanish, African, American, French, German, Japanese, Czech, Russian football player that ever lived. Not only in reality but also on the computer. Bloody CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER has a lot to answer for.

Having said that though, some women do get obsessive with other things such as the way they look, clothes, cosmetics, diets etc. So the tendencies are there for the women too.

I personally don't know enough about the music to become obsessive by facts and figures. I would love to know some info, so I could join in with more of the threads on here but I am relatively new to the scene and for me I know it'll take time for it to sink in. I am however reasonably obsessive about the music and have currently 1230 northern, modern, rare, rnb etc tracks on my ipod to listen to, and plenty more that I want to download on there.

link

So I take it you've been reading 'Men from Mars, Women from Venus' then?!

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

also forgot to mention Miss Popcorn, Jodi and Carol Fortey all top notch in my book regardless of gender

also my partner and loyal side kick Tracie loves the soul scene just a much as me (she also drinks the same amount of beer as me and she's ironing my bags as we speak) top lady and my best friend :D:lol::lol:

...........Andrew

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Gotta say i've never enjoyed any women on the soul scene.........or men........

but i'm interested in any "Hermaphrodites" that enjoy vinyl collecting and interests that are different to others.... :lol::D:lol:

Social source share

There maybe more guys on the scene but who are the better dancers LADIES of course :D:lol::lol:

PS

Would like to hear Maxine Woon play at a weekender :P

Social source share

Guest martyn

No m8 same both sides,ah well i will put it back on the 1975 shelf :D .

link

I've a white mono/stereo demo 7" ,both sides part 1 time 3:37 :lol: ............Not for sale :lol:

One of THE tunes of 75/76 no question :P

Social source share

Guest martyn

I have a white demo 45 6min 51 sec long that plays at 33,bought it of soul sam,thats an import.I will gladly let you have it christian.

link

Is this a 12"?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

also forgot to mention Miss Popcorn, Jodi and Carol Fortey all top notch in  my book regardless of gender

Thank you Andrew dear,  :D

also my partner and loyal side kick Tracie loves the soul scene just a much as me (she also drinks the same amount of beer as me and she's ironing my bags as we speak) top lady and my best friend :lol:   :P   :lol:

...........Andrew

link

Social source share

When I was first involved in about 72 there was always a distinction between M & F and was always a male thing but not to the extent it is now. We all went to Wigan or wherever together and there was no sexual distinction just mates having a night out.

I wont go to some of the best gigs near me because it's male orientated and a single woman (all be it of a certain age) is frowned upon and treated as a NS moron or just as there on the pull. Girls, did you see the men in Prestatyn who would want to pull there anway.

I just enjoy the music and the atmosphere so don't fret we are not after your precious 45s, GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As some one already said I guess a lot of it is to do with where you go. There are a lot of venues in my opinion that are full of people who never did the 70's scene you mention. hence you get different behaviour and a lot more oldies:-) at those venues.

As to being male dominated, yes the dj line ups usually are and have to agree with Karen, you can narrow that down even more to 'certain names' dominated. It might be a case of go for what you know rather than who you haven't heared.

Although the same goes record collecting wise, male dominated that is, think I've only had one occasion where an idiot was suprised at me looking in the boxes. Am finding that being female doesn't come into it when I'm looking, talking records and I've had quite a few compliments about what I write.

It's like anywhere though, you search and you'll find those like minded people. Just think you might have to be a bit more aware than in the old days that there are a lot of 'tourists' (so they seem to be called these days) around.

Gaye

Social source share

also my partner and loyal side kick Tracie loves the soul scene just a much as me (she also drinks the same amount of beer as me and she's ironing my bags as we speak) top lady and my best friend :lol:   :P   :D

...........Andrew

link

Is this your missus you're talking about Andrew, or one of your slaggy sheep sex partners..who happens to be multi-talented in drinking, ironing, and affectionly named after your betroved... :lol:

Social source share

I think that the patronisation of female soul collectors/djs/lovers is just a neanderthal-like way of SOME men trying to hold on to the little bit of domination they still have in their lives. It's like the other week, I got a flat tyre and had to call out the AA to change it for me as I can't lift anything at the moment. The bloke who came out more or less suggested that I shouldn't be on the road because he assumed I couldn't change a wheel-and patronised me at length about how I wouldn't get a license in Spain if I couldn't change a wheel. What I'm getting at is that SOME men feel threatened by any kind of challenge to their masculinity by women and it is their alpha male way of defending themselves-thus the record dealer trying to fob you off with boots/AA man trying to make you feel small cos he's annoyed that your car's probably better than his....... :ohmy:

And I cancelled the AA and switched to then RAC :ohmy:

Social source share

I think that the patronisation of female soul collectors/djs/lovers is just  a neanderthal-like  way of SOME men trying to hold on to the little bit of domination they still have in their lives.  It's like the other week, I got a flat tyre and had to call out the AA to change it for me as I can't lift anything at the moment.  The bloke who came out more or less suggested that I shouldn't be on the road because he assumed I couldn't change a wheel-and patronised me at length about how I wouldn't get a license in Spain if I couldn't change a wheel.  What I'm getting at is that SOME men feel threatened by any kind of challenge to their masculinity by women and it is their alpha male way of defending themselves-thus the record dealer trying to fob you off with boots/AA man trying to make you feel small cos he's annoyed that your car's probably better than his....... :ohmy:  

And I cancelled the AA and switched to then RAC :ohmy:

link

Is the AA man out of hospital yet, Reg? :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest katep

So I take it you've been reading 'Men from Mars, Women from Venus' then?!

link

God no :ohmy: I can't be doing with books like that. I rather read the small print on my loan agreement. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Is this your missus you're talking about Andrew, or one of your slaggy sheep sex partners..who happens to be multi-talented in drinking, ironing, and affectionly named after your betroved... :yes:

link

steady, be very careful i don't tell her i've seen her drop bigger men than ewe with just a stern look :thumbsup:

i've also been on the wrong end of her right hook :rolleyes: and they hurt :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

Going to post this and then going to leave you all to fight it out.

My main complaint about NS these days is that it is becoming (or has become) a MAN thing.

When I was first involved in about 72 there was always a distinction between M & F and was always a male thing but not to the extent it is now.  We all went to Wigan or wherever together and there was no sexual distinction just mates having a night out.

I wont go to some of the best gigs near me because it's male orientated and a single woman (all be it of a certain age) is frowned upon and treated as a NS moron or just as there on the pull.  Girls, did you see the men in Prestatyn who would want to pull there anway.

I  just enjoy the music and the atmosphere so don't fret we are not after your precious 45s, GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appologies for spelling grammer etc as had a drink - or two.

link

Cant agree whith everyting you say, but i no where your comin from.. personaly ime a dinasour, take tommorow.. Going to the 100 club whith me mates..Young baz 25.. Sean 36.. Lorrain 40 at the end of the day we ar all soulies and age (in our grupe) dossent mean a thing..Bin soul mates for years..but i can show them a few things on the floor :rolleyes:
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I think "I Love Music" is one of the greatest records ever made, and perhaps one of the most influential (would House have existed without it?).

:thumbsup:

Ceartainly influenced house thats for sure, got loads of plays at the original Warehouse club in Chicago (where House Music originates from) along with the Loft, paradise Garage, I also have heard numerous Detroit Techno Djs bang it into their set.

Cuts across boundaries :thumbsup:

There is a vinyl promo in the US, but no issue. The vinyl tastes pretty good BTW.

link

Social source share

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE ALOT OF MEN LIKE MYSELF WHO HAPPILY MARRIED GO TO NORTHERN WKDS OR NIGHTS WITH MALE FRIENDS TO GET AWAY FROM THE EVERYDAY SYNDROME OF SUBURBAN LIFE.WE GO TO HEAR GREAT SOUNDS AND GET DRUNK WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?.

Social source share

If these moaning feminists really believed they are good enough to do the job then they should turn down bookings at 'all girl line ups' because by letting yourself be booked at one of these nights you are admitting you are not good enough to cut the mustard on a level playing field. Or maybe you really know you're not good enough, and that's why you stick together? :thumbsup:

link

Social source share

Guest katep

"What is a woman who's not a feminist anyway, some kind of wilting masochist?"

I'm not a feminist nor am I a wilting masochist :thumbsup:

I like to think that women get an equal footing with the men in most situations, though I realise it is not always the case.

Social source share

"What is a woman who's not a feminist anyway, some kind of wilting masochist?"

I'm not a feminist nor am I a wilting masochist :thumbsup:

I like to think that women get an equal footing with the men in most situations, though I realise it is not always the case.

link

Why such aversion to the word feminist? I've always considered it the basis of equality. Is anyone else going to supply a definition or will that be venturing into Bernard Manning minefield?

Social source share

Guest rachel

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE ALOT OF MEN LIKE MYSELF WHO HAPPILY MARRIED GO TO NORTHERN WKDS OR NIGHTS WITH MALE FRIENDS TO GET AWAY FROM THE EVERYDAY SYNDROME OF SUBURBAN LIFE.WE GO TO HEAR GREAT SOUNDS AND GET DRUNK WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?.

link

Speaking from experience a lot of women like myself who are happily in whatever state of attachedness (?!) go to northern weekenders or nights with male and female friends to do exactly the same!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Speaking from experience a lot of women like myself who are happily in whatever state of attachedness (?!) go to northern weekenders or nights with male and female friends to do exactly the same!!  :thumbsup:

link

Couldnt agree with you more :yes:

Social source share

Why such aversion to the word feminist? I've always considered it the basis of equality. Is anyone else going to supply a definition or will that be venturing into Bernard Manning minefield?

link

feminism

noun

the belief that women should be allowed the same rights, power and opportunities as men and be treated in the same way, or the set of activities intended to achieve this state:

feminist [show phonetics]

noun [C]

a person who believes in feminism, often being involved in activities that are intended to achieve change:

Well you asked

Never seen myself as a feminist, always seemed a bit tooooooo political for my girlie brain, couldn't burn my bra in the sixties as had no need for one in those days (or now thinking about it - think of all the money I could of saved!)

Social source share

Guest katep

link

IMO It makes me think of the bra burning Germaine Greer angry woman type, who think it is a man's fault rather than a result of society over the centuries.

Maybe it is the self righteous female activist who has obscurred the definition, but the word now and it's associations just makes me cringe. :thumbsup:

Rachel: I completely agree and I think most people (male or female) would. :yes:

Social source share

Guest rachel

does this mean we wont be seeing any of you girls handcuffed to the DJ booth then?  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

That depends what sort of night it is and if the fee is right.... :D:D:yes::D:D

Social source share

does this mean we wont be seeing any of you girls handcuffed to the DJ booth then?  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

That depends what sort of night it is and if the fee is right....  :D   :D   :yes:   :D   :D

link

and if the handcuffs are fur lined, normal ones do chaff :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm a big supporter of the Women's movement.

I hate it when they just lie there.

(A Bernard Manning quote??)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:thumbsup:   :D

link

I used that in a best man's speech. One friend has the photo of the groom's mother hitting me in the guts. :yes:

Social source share

I'm a big supporter of the Women's movement.

I hate it when they just lie there.

(A Bernard Manning quote??)

link

talking of movement, is that why some decide to climb up onto buildings/bridges, etc., dress up as batman or similar, disrupt traffic, dont see any women doing that!

Social source share

I think that the patronisation of female soul collectors/djs/lovers is just  a neanderthal-like  way of SOME men trying to hold on to the little bit of domination they still have in their lives.  It's like the other week, I got a flat tyre and had to call out the AA to change it for me as I can't lift anything at the moment.  The bloke who came out more or less suggested that I shouldn't be on the road because he assumed I couldn't change a wheel-and patronised me at length about how I wouldn't get a license in Spain if I couldn't change a wheel.  What I'm getting at is that SOME men feel threatened by any kind of challenge to their masculinity by women and it is their alpha male way of defending themselves-thus the record dealer trying to fob you off with boots/AA man trying to make you feel small cos he's annoyed that your car's probably better than his....... :thumbsup:  

And I cancelled the AA and switched to then RAC :yes:

link

I remember once 'upsetting' an AA man, I was in London and lost my car key - spare at home! couldnt get anyone to come out to me - all in bed asleep! so called the AA, he came out wanting to break the steering lock, etc, I asked him to take it all apart so I could put any key/screwdriver in to get home, then get it put back together next day, he insisted they dont do things like that, (think he wondered how I knew about that as I didnt look like a car thief - and I was a women!) made me sign a form and said wasnt happy about doing it - but it saved me lots of money as didnt have to pay for new steering lock/column! Shame the guy who stole my car few years later couldnt have done the same, who have saved my insurance co a fortunate in getting it fixed! - Im in the wrong job!!

Social source share

IMO It makes me think of the bra burning Germaine Greer angry woman type, who think it is a man's fault rather than a result of society over the centuries.

Maybe it is the self righteous female activist who has obscurred the definition, but the word now and it's associations just makes me cringe.  :thumbsup:

Rachel: I completely agree and I think most people (male or female) would. :yes:

link

Yep, so glad we dont burn our bras nowadays!

Social source share

You are right, it is male dominated, which is a pity - and embarrassing. On occassions I have taken not soulie mates along to small local northern nights with the idea of introducing them to the music. Upon entering the club, the site that greets them is one of all men dancing and speaking together, with only about two women in the room. I look at my mates and know they are clenching their buttocks and thinking ''Oh no, he's brought me to the Blue Oyster Club''.

link

:thumbsup: Classic! Some of my mates have said exactly the same thing when i've dragged them along.

Social source share

Fantastic.

No matter how a thread starts out it always ends up in either an oldie v's newies debate or sexual innuendo.

I love it!

WOOF!

link

It doesnt, does it?! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Fantastic.

No matter how a thread starts out it always ends up in either an oldie v's newies debate or sexual innuendo.

I love it!

WOOF!

link

innuendo - sounds rude, in u end o - sorry, just couldn't resist it! (having bad busy day at work!!)

Social source share

i think the scene's very dog dominated myself...even on here we've got Pikey's dog and I'm sure there's a dog next door to me called Bexter. I've stopped going out, was sick of getting growled at on the dancefloor when they weren't busy chasing their tails or giving me fleas.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Otis
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert