The Orwell - Friday 28th December

We're getting a really good buzz on this final Orwell of 2007!

Shaun Robbins & Bob 'The Crate' Smith make their welcome return to 'The Home Of Soul' since their triumphant debut in April 2007 (as the first leg of the North Lancs Soul Festival)

We've had many messages of support and folks are dusting off their dancing shoes and getting down (or up as the case may be!) to sunny Wigan on the 28th December.

Here's the info you need-

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

FRIDAY 28th DECEMBER

ONE ROOM 'Solar Sunday Soul Selection' SPECIAL

70's Modern Soul & Crossover

DJ's - FLANNY, STEVE CONNOR, STEVE PLUMB, BARRY MALEADY

Guest DJ's SHAUN ROBBINS & BOB 'The Crate' SMITH

9pm til 2am (with 2am bar)

£6 ON THE DOOR

www.soulmusic.co.uk/the_orwell.htm

By the way, this will be the last 'Friday' Orwell THEN we move to Saturday's (every couple of months) in 2008! The first Orwell in 2008 will be the 8th Anniversary on Easter Saturday 22nd March 2008!

It'd be great if we can get all the folks who've supported us in 2007 here on the one night to see off 2007 in fine style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE GOOD TO KNOW WHO ELSE IS JOINING US FOR THIS END OF YEAR CELEBRATION?

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 53
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Steve

I think you can count us in we missed it last month I was chatting to Mick and Kate Barker they had a good un last one and I think will be going on the 28th.

So dont let anyone near our table.

Adam.

Shaun Robbins & Bob 'The Crate' Smith make their welcome return to 'The Home Of Soul' since their triumphant debut in April 2007 (as the first leg of the North Lancs Soul Festival)

We've had many messages of support and folks are dusting off their dancing shoes and getting down (or up as the case may be!) to sunny Wigan on the 28th December.

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

FRIDAY 28th DECEMBER

£6 ON THE DOOR

By the way, this will be the last 'Friday' Orwell THEN we move to Saturday's (every couple of months) in 2008! The first Orwell in 2008 will be the 8th Anniversary on Easter Saturday 22nd March 2008!

It'd be great if we can get all the folks who've supported us in 2007 here on the one night to see off 2007 in fine style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Wouldn't miss it for the world .....Robbins and Smith....a class act top night last time they guested thumbsup.gif

Guest soultempo

Looking forward to meetin' all you chaps again ... should be just great fun ... :shades:

oh ... & some lovely tunes too ... !

I'll bring the mince pies ...

As its an *Xmas Special* ... are all the DJs comin' in fancy dress ... :D ... !

Very best wishes, Shaun.

Guest recordman

Looking forward to this one, timing is good for those who are off work and can travel

It's a christmas knees up with some super guest Dj's booked so get yourself down on the 28th December

Steve

I think you can count us in we missed it last month I was chatting to Mick and Kate Barker they had a good un last one and I think will be going on the 28th.

So dont let anyone near our table.

Adam.

Don't think anyone would risk the wrath of The Boro boys by nicking their table!

In fact, last month, as we knew you weren't coming, we did what the Argentinian FA did when Maradonna retired - they 'retired' his number 10 shirt......................we did the same and 'retired' your table for the night which left a Boro shaped hole near the dance floor (that's true that is :shades: )

C U on the 28th matey

Cheers

Steve

yes ill be there not sure about festive tank top though i used to have a tanktop with a pineapple mind you i was only about 15 they were all the rage epic still wears one and Pete Haigh uses his as a tea cosy

steve edgar and steve hanbury coming over too i believe i was chatting to Steve Edgar this week and everyone is looking forward to north lancs soul festival next april up in Morecambe

should be a cracking night on the 28th and a chance for many of us to catch up and have a natter about next april and need a dose or of orwell soul as well

should be a top xmas party night

will sean milward :ohmy: be coming as santa?

will kirsty :wub: be bringing the mistletoe?

and will cheesy disco finally get a spin in 2007??????

so many questions...............

epic :lol: is bringing some special crackers too i think theyre the fylde disco dancing formation team :thumbsup:

pete haigh :lol: has promised to buy a round

last time that happened crown heights affair were playing the mecca

:lol::D:lol:

looking forward to this one...........................

Aye, he is a strange man too :lol:

Are you bringing yer Lollies again Kirsty?

That's not a reference to your body parts btw :thumbsup:

See you soon mate

Steve

Not only will I bring something nice to lick and/or suck....

But I will also bring Raffle tickets for KirstyMs cancer research charity do.... :ohmy:

Plan to be there to say hello to Mssrs Robins, Smith etc although Julie was on about going to see Soul Patrol who are live at the RMI that night so we'll have to see.

With so much on tonight, don't expect huge crowds at Totally Soul at Horwich RMI but would be nice to be proved wrong - the music will suit those who enjoy the Orwell.

Totally Soul - does what it says!

Plan to be there to say hello to Mssrs Robins, Smith etc although Julie was on about going to see Soul Patrol who are live at the RMI that night so we'll have to see.

With so much on tonight, don't expect huge crowds at Totally Soul at Horwich RMI but would be nice to be proved wrong - the music will suit those who enjoy the Orwell.

Totally Soul - does what it says!

Hope your proved wrong Gordon yes.gif

Have a good 'un mate and hope to see you on the 28th?

Cheers

Steve

Guest recordman

Went the companys christmas do on Thursday you can guess what the music was like !!!

It was a great party tho'

Talkin' of partys & knees ups ect The Orwell will deliver a night brimming with all that's quality in crossover / 70s & 80s and as Mr M describes " Little Label Soul "

Should be a good one this and for once I'm not driving

Talkin' of partys & knees ups ect The Orwell will deliver a night brimming with all that's quality in crossover / 70s & 80s and as Mr M describes " Little Label Soul "

Should be a good one this and for once I'm not driving

Bloody 'ell mate that makes a change did you have to bribe someone??? Just dont get into a JD downing contest with Flanny........you know it makes sense :)

I'm not double decking with him if he tries to take on the mighty Flanny at JD downing, that's for sure :lol:

found this nice little singalong

If I lose this dream

I don't know what I'm gonna do

If I lose this dream

I'm dreaming about for me and you

If it goes away

I might as well hang it up

'Cause I don't know

If I have the heart or mind

To make it true

Or help it grow

And I only know, I only know, I only know

If I lose this dream

It's goodbye love and happiness, yes

You're the one I need

I don't want a love

That's second best

There've been all of my life

I wanted to do

That made me blue

Help me hold onto this dream

For sometimes dreams often come true

And they all come true, they all come true

For me and you

Wait a minute baby

Don't let me lose this dream

Baby, baby hold on

Don't let me lose my dream, no

Baby, baby be strong

You say that a-you believe that what I say is true

And that I'm the one and only girl for you

Just tell me

That no matter what the people say

You're in my corner all the way

And I won't lose this dream

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby be strong

Baby, baby hold on

Don't let me lose, lose my dream

Baby, baby hold on

Don't let me, ooh baby

If I lose this dream

If I lose this dream

If it goes away

'Cause I don't know

To make it true

Or help it grow

If I lose this dream

You're the one I need

I don't want a love

That's second best

I wanted to do

That made me blue

For me and you

Wait a minute baby

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby be strong

Just tell me

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby be strong

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby hold on

Don't let me, ooh baby

Sean, is it you that keeps standing outside my house serenading me :D

Sean, is it you that keeps standing outside my house serenading me :D

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening,

In the lane, snow is glistening

A beautiful sight,

We're happy tonight.

Walking in a winter wonderland.

Gone away is the bluebird,

Here to stay is a new bird

He sings a love song,

As we go along,

In the meadow we can build a snowman,

Then pretend that he is Parson Brown

He'll say: Are you married?

We'll say: No man,

But you can do the job

When you're in town.

Later on, we'll conspire,

As we dream by the fire

To face unafraid,

The plans that we've made,

In the meadow we can build a snowman,

And pretend that he's a circus clown

We'll have lots of fun with mister snowman,

Until the alligators knock him down.

When it snows, ain't it thrilling,

Though your nose gets a chilling

We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way,

see you there "!!!!!

If I lose this dream

If I lose this dream

If it goes away

'Cause I don't know

To make it true

Or help it grow

If I lose this dream

You're the one I need

I don't want a love

That's second best

I wanted to do

That made me blue

For me and you

Wait a minute baby

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby be strong

Just tell me

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby be strong

Baby, baby hold on

Baby, baby hold on

Don't let me, ooh baby

As played many times over the years at The Orwell by Aretha AND Baby Washington............well i mean their versions have been played NOT that they actually played them (if you know what I mean!)

We've never played that other one that Sean posted tho' don't know that one :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

As played many times over the years at The Orwell by Aretha AND Baby Washington............well i mean their versions have been played NOT that they actually played them (if you know what I mean!)

We've never played that other one that Sean posted tho' don't know that one :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Steve the version by The Supremes and the Four tops off the Dynamite lp is excellant as well I could have sworn its been played T'Orwell ?. If not it should ! that and "dont you love me a little bit honey" which already has had airings I know.

We are all booked up int hotel ,full Boro turn out five reprobates Me ,Tomo, Lofty, Dave (borat streaker essence) and Neil and I know Charley and Jenny are coming over from Scarborough. looking forward to it still my favourite soul night for the last good few years. Table in the corner plenty of room and no crackers

Adam

Steve the version by The Supremes and the Four tops off the Dynamite lp is excellant as well I could have sworn its been played T'Orwell ?. If not it should ! that and "dont you love me a little bit honey" which already has had airings I know.

We are all booked up int hotel ,full Boro turn out five reprobates Me ,Tomo, Lofty, Dave (borat streaker essence) and Neil and I know Charley and Jenny are coming over from Scarborough. looking forward to it still my favourite soul night for the last good few years. Table in the corner plenty of room and no crackers

Adam

Of course Adam, you're right, we have played The Supremes & Four Tops version :sleep3:

We're bringing the Boro table back out of retirement for the night too, as we put it away in your honour last month :hypo:

Be great to see you all PLUS the reappearence of the Yarmouth Borat Streaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Charlie & Jenny too.........it don't get no better than that imho!

Cheers

Steve

Guest recordman

Adam

Thankyou for the comments and your support chaps it really is appreciated plus as I dont know if I have previously mentioned this on here IM NOT DRIVING ! Also regarding BM & SP comments I'm not rising to that one boy's nope, been there and all that....

Cant wait for next Friday should be a great night

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas & new year.

Me Pj's, Dionne, Neil, Linda, Andy B, Steve & Ann, Pab's & Pat will be having a BALL at the Orwell next Friday Looking forward to meeting Shaun & the gang.

Sean M

Nice one Sean - Does sound like a goodie THIS Friday thumbsup.gif

Hope someone brings the 'Tune' & 'Beered up monster' posters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Guest recordman

To all our regulars of The Orwell over 2007 - We hope you are able to get a break from the stresses of work & christmas shopping and spend a little time with your family friends or whatever you like to do over the festive season

This has undoubtedly been a most challenging year for all promoters and we at The Orwell continue to be grateful for your commitment and support you have given us in making The Orwell On The Real Side Soul Events successful

Thankyou very much for your support & encouragement , and may we wish you all a very happy christmas

Our very best wishes

Steve Connor

Barry Maleady

Flanny

Steve Plumb

SEE YOU ON THE 28th DECEMBER WITH GUESTS SHAUN ROBBINS & BOB SMITH FOR WHAT PROMISES TO BE A FANTASTIC NIGHT

Guest soultempo

Friday 28th December @ the Orwell Xmas Special - Wigan Pier ...

It's lookin' gud ... members of the *Seaside Soul Club* ... *Wakefield City Soul Club* ... *White Bull Gisburn* ... *Horwich RMI* ... should all be there ... fingers crossed ... will be brill' to see u all ... :lol:

Best, Shaun.

Guest recordman

To all our regulars of The Orwell over 2007 - We hope you are able to get a break from the stresses of work & christmas shopping and spend a little time with your family friends or whatever you like to do over the festive season

This has undoubtedly been a most challenging year for all promoters and we at The Orwell continue to be grateful for your commitment and support you have given us in making The Orwell On The Real Side Soul Events successful

Thankyou very much for your support & encouragement , and may we wish you all a very happy christmas

Our very best wishes

Steve Connor

Barry Maleady

Flanny

Steve Plumb

SEE YOU ON THE 28th DECEMBER WITH GUESTS SHAUN ROBBINS & BOB SMITH FOR WHAT PROMISES TO BE A FANTASTIC NIGHT

Guest recordman

(Note - This will be the last Orwell until the end of March 2008)

--------------------

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

FRIDAY 28th DECEMBER

ONE ROOM 'Sunday Soul Selection' SPECIAL

Guest DJ's from Solar Radio SHAUN ROBBINS & BOB 'The Crate' SMITH

£6 ON THE DOOR

Guest recordman

AS MENTIONED ON THE EXCELLENT WEB SITE :-

indangerousrhythm.com well worth checkin out...

The Orwell 28/12/07 417401.jpgDon't forget next Orwell:

Friday Dec 28th: THE ORWELL XMAS SPECIAL ... !

Wigan Pier Residents:

Steve Plumb

Steve Connor

Baz Maleady

Flanny

Guests: ... Solar Radio's Sunday Soul Selection...

Shaun Robbins

Bob 'the Crate' Smith

Wigan Pier Residents:

Steve Plumb

Steve Connor

Baz Maleady

Flanny

Shaun Robbins

Bob 'the Crate' Smith

Hi Steve

We're on the countdown, only two more sleeps to go to what is for me will be the culmination of a great month with some great 'do's' under the belt. Gotta say though this is the one i've been looking forward to the most; Great guests, great company and great tunes! What more could we ask for to round off 2007...........a Hilton Weekender 'tent room' warm up to boot...........

Let's be avvin ya!

Hi Steve

We're on the countdown, only two more sleeps to go to what is for me will be the culmination of a great month with some great 'do's' under the belt. Gotta say though this is the one i've been looking forward to the most; Great guests, great company and great tunes! What more could we ask for to round off 2007...........a Hilton Weekender 'tent room' warm up to boot...........

Let's be avvin ya!

Yep, think we can safely say we're going out with a bang tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you all then :lol:

Got a couple of new 'best friends' to play too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Well the last "soul" do I attended was awful so I am really looking forward to tonight as I can almost gaurantee great music all night.

Get the Boro table reserved lads nice n early.

Adam

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

FRIDAY 28th DECEMBER

£6 ON THE DOOR

Cheers

Steve

Ive waited for this one ''all of my life''

well it seems like nu-rons & nu-rons

Adam

Couldn,t agree with you more with reference to The Supremes and Four Tops, but also checkout Gladys Knights version of "Do you love me just a little, honey" on the "Everybody needs love" LP. Shoukld be great over there tonight, sure you, Tomo, Lofty and all will have a great night, we are doing Piercebridge tonight ( should also be a good night) otherwise The Brit lads would also have been going over there.

Av a good un everyone see y,all in the New Year.

Kev

As usual I'm over excited.

I haven't been out for SOOOOO long that I'm champing at the bit to get on the dancefloor.

Will see you all early doors, probably before it officially opens......

Wigan Pier Residents:

Steve Plumb

Steve Connor

Baz Maleady

Flanny

Shaun Robbins

Bob 'the Crate' Smith

a soul venue steeped in history.

in a soultown steeped in history.

what more could you ask for.

roll on our 8th year. six hours to go. ooeer i'm getting goosies.

Source Advert