• Replies 31
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest ScooterNik

Think it also came out on canadian STONE as well as the american/french release did it?

Pretty sure I have one stashed away somewhere, I'll have a look later and see if I can find it

Social source share

Pretty sure I have one stashed away somewhere, I'll have a look later and see if I can find it

Does anyone know if these numerouse French Soul releases,

were around the time of the U.S.A release or much later.

They Certainly had their finger on the pulse, some amazing

releases that appear to have passed the UK's attention at the time.

Picture Covers Too.

Social source share

Does anyone know if these numerouse French Soul releases,

were around the time of the U.S.A release or much later.

They Certainly had their finger on the pulse, some amazing

releases that appear to have passed the UK's attention at the time.

Picture Covers Too.

The man who had "his finger on the pulse" was Gilles Petard. One of the world's most knowledge black music collectors and the man who recently released the September Jones's 2 record set. He has an almost unequalled collection and advised the French record industry on everything "soul" during the sixties and seventies.

The interesting thing about the 4 "Googa Mooga" releases The Al Gardner release 102, the label is actually spelt GOODA MOOGA. strange? and I have no idea why.

Release dates, you would imagine they were 60s, at the same time, but I'll ask Gilles next time we speak..if anyones knows, he will.

Apparently the September Jones 4 tracks would have been an EP in 1966 but the Hesitations EP did so poorly, Kapp France were not to enthusiastic about another EP release from same company by an unknown.

Eddie Parker value on Googa Mooga is around £30 but with a pristine pic cover £40+

Most covers you see these days a damaged in some way.

Social source share

The man who had "his finger on the pulse" was Gilles Petard. One of the world's most knowledge black music collectors and the man who recently released the September Jones's 2 record set. He has an almost unequalled collection and advised the French record industry on everything "soul" during the sixties and seventies.

The interesting thing about the 4 "Googa Mooga" releases The Al Gardner release 102, the label is actually spelt GOODA MOOGA. strange? and I have no idea why.

Release dates, you would imagine they were 60s, at the same time, but I'll ask Gilles next time we speak..if anyones knows, he will.

Apparently the September Jones 4 tracks would have been an EP in 1966 but the Hesitations EP did so poorly, Kapp France were not to enthusiastic about another EP release from same company by an unknown.

Eddie Parker value on Googa Mooga is around £30 but with a pristine pic cover £40+

Most covers you see these days a damaged in some way.

Thanks John

I've often wondered, so nice to have a name too.

Social source share

these were easily available years ago along with sweet baby al gardner, what other tracks came out on googa mooga ? any one got a track listing, incidently just found an eddie parker picture cover in an old box but no bloody record

Cod, imposter reckons there's a record with no cover on ebay @ £20, you could make a complete up :rolleyes:

Best Wishes

Dave

Social source share

these were easily available years ago along with sweet baby al gardner, what other tracks came out on googa mooga ? any one got a track listing, incidently just found an eddie parker picture cover in an old box but no bloody record

Here is the complete Googa Mooga listing:-

Eddie Parker & The Soul Congress - Love you baby (vocal) / Love you baby (instrumental) - Googa Mooga GM-701.

Al Gardner - Sweet baby / I can't stand it - Googa Mooga GM-702.

Ironing Board Sam - Original funky bell bottoms / Treat me right - Googa Mooga GM-703.

Eddie Parker - I need a true love / Crying Clown - Googa Mooga GM-704.

That's it just 4 releases.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Here is the complete Googa Mooga listing:-

Eddie Parker & The Soul Congress - Love you baby (vocal) / Love you baby (instrumental) - Googa Mooga GM-701.

Al Gardner - Sweet baby / I can't stand it - Googa Mooga GM-702.

Ironing Board Sam - Original funky bell bottoms / Treat me right - Googa Mooga GM-703.

Eddie Parker - I need a true love / Crying Clown - Googa Mooga GM-704.

That's it just 4 releases.

Regards

Alan

Just curious on this one .....

At the time of its' initial popularity on the scene , how many originals of " LYB " were in circulation on Ashford ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Just curious on this one .....

At the time of its' initial popularity on the scene , how many originals of " LYB " were in circulation on Ashford ? ........

Malc Burton

Malc,

When I first came on the scene "love you baby" was a massive tune, our local youth club DJ had a copy on Ashford but I was certainly nieve in those days as far as being aware of bootlegs but that particular one I think is still one the harder ones to indentify unless you have the bible with you. I know Ashford demo's are extremely rare but stock copies I'm not so sure.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Malc,

When I first came on the scene "love you baby" was a massive tune, our local youth club DJ had a copy on Ashford but I was certainly nieve in those days as far as being aware of bootlegs but that particular one I think is still one the harder ones to indentify unless you have the bible with you. I know Ashford demo's are extremely rare but stock copies I'm not so sure.

Regards

Alan

"love you baby" on Ashford, was amongst one of my first purchases

that fell into the (Is It, or Isn't It) i.e. Counterfeit or Original.

Even on Hindsight, It may be difficult to estimate just how many were Original copies at the time.

So much easier Today to Obtain Information.

Many of the other records were more Obvious BOOTS and perhaps easier to say.

Social source share

"love you baby" on Ashford, was amongst one of my first purchases

that fell into the (Is It, or Isn't It) i.e. Counterfeit or Original.

Even on Hindsight, It may be difficult to estimate just how many were Original copies at the time.

So much easier Today to Obtain Information.

Many of the other records were more Obvious BOOTS and perhaps easier to say.

Hi Roger, Season's Greetings to you and your family, the subject of boots, like you say alot of boots aren't done to deceive you for whatever reason like ones that are booted on totally different lables and sometimes as the cover artist or title as per Patience Valentine "It's getting so you can't tell the good guys from the bad" on Pussycat, The Jades "I'm where it's at" on Ree etc etc and then there's the Billy Prophets, Anderson Brothers, Ernest Mosely, Alexander Patten, Rita DaCosta etc etc, I think I'm right in saying that a real Ashford copy has an ARCHER stamp in the dead wax doesn't it, I can't remember.

I found something out the other day which I never knew and that is "Bari Track" by Doni Burdick was booted on SIR many years ago and again that is identified by an ARCHER stamp in the dead wax on the "I have faith in you" side, I immediately checked my copy and lo and behold there as clear as anything is the Archer stamp on the correct side which I had never noticed until recently as I thought the only boot was the Soul Galore one.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Remember also that owning Eddie Parker's "Love You Baby" on Googa-Mooga was one way to ensure you at least had a legitimate copy of the recording in the face of doubt over suspect Ashford facsimiles! (They were particularly desirable C.1972-ish I recall..)

Social source share

Hi Roger, Season's Greetings to you and your family, the subject of boots, like you say alot of boots aren't done to deceive you for whatever reason like ones that are booted on totally different lables and sometimes as the cover artist or title as per Patience Valentine "It's getting so you can't tell the good guys from the bad" on Pussycat, The Jades "I'm where it's at" on Ree etc etc and then there's the Billy Prophets, Anderson Brothers, Ernest Mosely, Alexander Patten, Rita DaCosta etc etc, I think I'm right in saying that a real Ashford copy has an ARCHER stamp in the dead wax doesn't it, I can't remember.

I found something out the other day which I never knew and that is "Bari Track" by Doni Burdick was booted on SIR many years ago and again that is identified by an ARCHER stamp in the dead wax on the "I have faith in you" side, I immediately checked my copy and lo and behold there as clear as anything is the Archer stamp on the correct side which I had never noticed until recently as I thought the only boot was the Soul Galore one.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

As far as I know on the "Bari Track" was Martin Koppel big quanitity find. I've never noticed a bootleg or a counterfeit. I have a copy or two at the moment so I'll check. But as far as I know the "Koppel" find was a legit load, that maybe collectors thought maybe bootlegs.

If anyone has a suspect "Bari Track" I would love to have the deadwax details.

John

Social source share

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Season's Greetings to you and your family.

I must admit I checked my copy almost as soon as I could, and as you state there is the

ARCHER Matrix clearly Stamped on the "I Have Faith In You" side.

Sound_Impression_Records_SIR-6808.gifSound_Impression_Records_SIR-6807_A.gif

I haven't heard of any other press. Other than the Soul Galore one.

-------------* BOOT *

Soul_Galore_SG-2630.gif

-------------* BOOT *

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Alan,

As far as I know on the "Bari Track" was Martin Koppel big quanitity find. I've never noticed a bootleg or a counterfeit. I have a copy or two at the moment so I'll check. But as far as I know the "Koppel" find was a legit load, that maybe collectors thought maybe bootlegs.

If anyone has a suspect "Bari Track" I would love to have the deadwax details.

John

Hi John,

The information I have on it is as I have previously mentioned re the ARCHER stamp in the dead wax on the "I have faith in you" side, apparently this is not present on some copies, now whether this means it's a bootleg ???? I don't know, I suspect not as I'm sure you would have spotted that before now, I wasn't aware of Martin Koppel's find, how many did he turn up ? The guy who told me about the "Bari Track" boot sometimes comes on Soul Source or members of his family do, so if anyone can get a message to Martin "Mr Click" Alsop and ask him to get in touch either through the site or personally and hopefully we will get to the bottom of this as I think he has a copy which he thinks is a boot.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi Alan

Season's Greetings to you and your family.

I must admit I checked my copy almost as soon as I could, and as you state there is the

ARCHER Matrix clearly Stamped on the "I Have Faith In You" side.

Sound_Impression_Records_SIR-6808.gifSound_Impression_Records_SIR-6807_A.gif

I haven't heard of any other press. Other than the Soul Galore one.

-------------* BOOT *

Soul_Galore_SG-2630.gif

-------------* BOOT *

Hi Roger, them graphics are a bit posh aren't they, but they show exactly what I was trying to say.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi Roger, them graphics are a bit posh aren't they, but they show exactly what I was trying to say.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks, I found a nifty bit of GIF Image Freeware during my Christmas Holidays.

(Don't worry though I won't turn things into a kaleidoscope of colour).

Plus I have had Increased success with my new scanner for Deadwax Info.

I just thought that it might be useful for certain posts.

Social source share

Hi Alan

Thanks, I found a nifty bit of GIF Image Freeware during my Christmas Holidays.

(Don't worry though I won't turn things into a kaleidoscope of colour).

Plus I have had Increased success with my new scanner for Deadwax Info.

I just thought that it might be useful for certain posts.

I think you should put that scanner to work and do a topic on all the deadwax stamps etc. Questions asked all the time so could be a good reference source for some, especially if all in one place. Great work btw Roger!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I think you should put that scanner to work and do a topic on all the deadwax stamps etc. Questions asked all the time so could be a good reference source for some, especially if all in one place. Great work btw Roger!

Hi Chalky

Thanks, I will of course do my best to scan some more and post them up.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert