• Replies 23
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for the inquiry...

ns.png

IRC was created by Jarkko Oikarinen in 1988 and is the oldest multi-user chat system on the internet, and as a protocol it's older than the World Wide Web. IRC has continued to improve since first created, and is still developed by a large and dynamic group of volunteers who give their time, knowledge, and resources to the internet community. The many public IRC networks that allow millions of people to communicate freely through IRC are owned and administered by thousands of independent individuals and organizations around the world as a public service to the internet community.

DALnet is one of the IRC server networks which users can connect to with mIRC the chat client (software)

Here is an excellent mIRC installation tutorial if you need assistance, as well as a user forum.

Once you've installed the mIRC chat client, you'll need to configure it to connect to DALnet...

Once there, users can register their nickname ... mine is vinyldisc

Good for the soul!

:huh:

Social source share

Thanks for the inquiry...

ns.png

IRC was created by Jarkko Oikarinen in 1988 and is the oldest multi-user chat system on the internet, and as a protocol it's older than the World Wide Web. IRC has continued to improve since first created, and is still developed by a large and dynamic group of volunteers who give their time, knowledge, and resources to the internet community. The many public IRC networks that allow millions of people to communicate freely through IRC are owned and administered by thousands of independent individuals and organizations around the world as a public service to the internet community.

DALnet is one of the IRC server networks which users can connect to with mIRC the chat client (software)

Here is an excellent mIRC installation tutorial if you need assistance, as well as a user forum.

Once you've installed the mIRC chat client, you'll need to configure it to connect to DALnet...

Once there, users can register their nickname ... mine is vinyldisc

Good for the soul!

:rolleyes:

Yep - that sounds perfectly straightforward!

Social source share

IRC is quite useful, and free to use. I utilize other channels to type real time tech support for some of my www clientele...

as well as having a channel where I communicate with friends and family overseas... free!

Free is an awesome price, compared to long distance phone rates...

Another advantage to mIRC / IRC chat is the ability to send off sound files on the fly.

My only intent in this project is a public service to soul fans... a place to chat real time about events, haps, and the music itself.

For the time being, I am the moderator (op) but will gladly assign that status to any soul fans who become regulars in the channel

and assist in developing the channel.

Enjoy!

ps: "operator status" is similar to a moderator, +/-

Edited by vinyldisc
Social source share

IRC is quite useful, and free to use. I utilize other channels to type real time tech support for some of my www clientele...

as well as having a channel where I communicate with friends and family overseas... free!

Free is an awesome price, compared to long distance phone rates...

Another advantage to mIRC / IRC chat is the ability to send off sound files on the fly.

My only intent in this project is a public service to soul fans... a place to chat real time about events, haps, and the music itself.

For the time being, I am the moderator (op) but will gladly assign that status to any soul fans who become regulars in the channel

and assist in developing the channel.

Enjoy!

ps: "operator status" is similar to a moderator, +/-

Ay Up Mate

Your obviously being really decent telling us about this facility. :huh:

The problem is that most of us are thick - we don't have a clue about all this tech stuff!

Social source share

Nope don't get it ?

Sorry, I don't follow your meaning...

IRC stands for internet relay chat. That is a free service provided by owners of servers around the wwworld

who voluntarily provide the space needed for the chat channels... and they even provide free web space

for those channels. (example: https://channels.dal.net/northernsoul/ )

mIRC is the software you'll need to download (shareware) and configure to connect to the DALnet servers

which is where the #northernsoul (and thousands of other) channels reside.

The links in the posts upthread provide beaucoup info that will assist you in connecting and joining a chat channel

after you've downloaded, installed and configured mIRC.

However, this whole process has a learning curve, no doubt... and I will do what I can to help the newwwer users.

:¬¾

Best,

V

Edited by vinyldisc
Social source share

Ay Up Mate

Your obviously being really decent telling us about this facility. :huh:

The problem is that most of us are thick - we don't have a clue about all this tech stuff!

You don't have to be smart to be me, I assure you, and I figured it out.

It looks alot more overwhelming than it actually is. I recall first seeing it, and being overwwwhelmed, but determination is one of my traits.

rofl.

best,

V

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

You don't have to be smart to be me, I assure you, and I figured it out.

:thumbup:

It looks alot more overwhelming than it actually is. I recall first seeing it, and being overwwwhelmed, but determination is one of my traits.

rofl.

best,

V

Used mIRC b4 and its very good smile.gif

Social source share

Used mIRC b4 and its very good smile.gif

Yes, I would have to agree...

There are many choices, for a chat client... and I tried many... but mIRC is very stable and safe.

I utilize a script addon as a channel operator, named pNp by pai, (very cool woman and an irc scripting legend)

As a channel moderator, I do my level best to fend off any spammers, loons or pervs.

rofl. This is the internet, after all.

In all seriousness, the channel topic is about music, and I am not too strict about channel rules, but there

are a couple of guidelines / mandates that always apply.... courtesy is enforced, and no spam. :thumbup:

---

Sorry, DaveRimmer... I am not sure what ya mean by posh. Please excuse my noobitude.

:lol:

Edited by vinyldisc
Social source share

Yes, I would have to agree...

There are many choices, for a chat client... and I tried many... but mIRC is very stable and safe.

I utilize a script addon as a channel operator, named pNp by pai, (very cool woman and an irc scripting legend)

As a channel moderator, I do my level best to fend off any spammers, loons or pervs.

rofl. This is the internet, after all.

In all seriousness, the channel topic is about music, and I am not too strict about channel rules, but there

are a couple of guidelines / mandates that always apply.... courtesy is enforced, and no spam. :thumbup:

---

Sorry, DaveRimmer... I am not sure what ya mean by posh. Please excuse my noobitude.

:lol:

NOT SO AS I SOUND A BIT DIM BUT WHAT IS A NOOBITUDE?

CHRIS ph34r.gif

Social source share

NOT SO AS I SOUND A BIT DIM BUT WHAT IS A NOOBITUDE?

CHRIS ph34r.gif

Sorry, that is me kidding around... making up a wwword.

lol

Noobitude. The state of being a nooby. (newwwbie, newby, etc)

Again, sorry, I kid around too much. I'll attempt to stick to tech support, but I cannot

pledge to not joke around. It is in my nature.

Social source share

I mean posh because you're waffling on about IRC and DALnet when all you had to say was "It's a chat room" laugh.gif

That is not "all i had to say"

I provided links and fairly detailed explanations as well as tutorial info.

Try clicking on some of the links... actually reading that info will be quite helpful to new IRCitizens.

Perhaps that will assist you?

I am voluntarily providing a real time, free public meeting place for soulie music fans and pledging to keep it a safe place from spammers-- as well as a willingness to provide tech support to new users. What is it that you do, again... besides whine?

Edited by vinyldisc
Social source share

That is not "all i had to say"

I provided links and fairly detailed explanations as well as tutorial info.

Try clicking on some of the links... actually reading that info will be quite helpful to new IRCitizens.

Perhaps that will assist you?

I am voluntarily providing a real time, free public meeting place for soulie music fans and pledging to keep it a safe place from spammers-- as well as a willingness to provide tech support to new users. What is it that you do, again... besides whine?

I wish you luck then. You're obviously such a pretentious cnut that I can assure you I won't be joining you as an IRCitizen, I'm quite happy as a whiner wicked.gif

Social source share

I wish you luck then. You're obviously such a pretentious cnut that I can assure you I won't be joining you as an IRCitizen, I'm quite happy as a whiner :lol:

What a loser. You are projecting. Look in the mirror. You are the one being an asshole and pretentious. Get a life, richardhead... you obviously have issues. You live in your mom's basement or something? ... and yes, you do seem to enjoy being a whiney beatch. Nice.

Edited by vinyldisc
Social source share

Well I am surprised. If the chat room you run is full of posts like the PM you sent me no wonder nobody wants to come and play with you........and I quote "f*** you asshole". "Punk bitch" and "Cockbite" were three of the most choice phrases you used...... :yes::wave:

Happy New Year

and I mean that very sincerely because it must be lonely for you. :lol::P

ps. what's a cockbite ? :D:ohmy:

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

What a loser. You are projecting. Look in the mirror. You are the one being an asshole and pretentious. Get a life, richardhead... you obviously have issues. You live in your mom's basement or something? ... and yes, you do seem to enjoy being a whiney beatch. Nice.

He,s not a richard head - hes a top northern dj who contributes a hell of a lot of time and energy to this scene. He would have been an asset to your chat room. But never mind eh? :D

Social source share