Liza Mae - I Got A Juicy Mouth Baby

Gene-R

For those of you who don't recognise this record by the title, it's the one Gary Spencer covered up in the late '80s (can't remember who as), and has the same backing track as "7 Days 52 Weeks" by Cody Michaels.

Does anyone know anything about the value and background of this record? I've just received a lovely copy of it from a guy who found 10 mis-labelled copies and one perfectly labelled copy. It's on the Concept label. Some of the mis-labelled copies have either this side labels on both sides, or the other side, "The Watergate Jazz", on both sides. Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to have the mis-label with "Juicy Mouth" printed on both sides.

My guess is that the Watergate Jazz is a spoof, or play on words, after the Watergate Scandal which caused Nixon to resign, which would date the record between 1972 or 1974. Anyone know any more about this? Also, does anyone know if the majority of copies in the UK are perfect, or mislabelled?

Most importantly, anyone know of a value? (not that I would sell it, sorry!)

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For those of you who don't recognise this record by the title, it's the one Gary Spencer covered up in the late '80s (can't remember who as), and has the same backing track as "7 Days 52 Weeks" by Cody Michaels.

The one GS was palying was Micheal Christian - 'If I Can't Have You' - Concept

Social source share

The one GS was palying was Micheal Christian - 'If I Can't Have You' - Concept

First covered up and played by Pat Brady as Nolan Chance & Constellations. I think Shifty got one years later and cover it as Pookie Hudson?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Oops, sound file not working for some reason.

Anyway, is Liza really singing what I think she's singing about? To me this is the best version and I luckily have both labels where they're supposed to be. smile.gif

And Gene R, I'll pm you.

Edited by Helena
Social source share

Anyway, is Liza really singing what I think she's singing about? To me this is the best version and I luckily have both labels where they're supposed to be. smile.gif

And Gene R, I'll pm you.

i contacted the seller and he said he had bought a box of 50 about 4 years ago and that was all he had some mislabelled and some the correct way i have had 2 one mislabelled and one i gave to my friend labelled correctly. the liza mae has a better voice.

mark

Social source share

i contacted the seller and he said he had bought a box of 50 about 4 years ago and that was all he had some mislabelled and some the correct way

mark

Yeah that's pretty much what I pm'd Gene, I also had a little chat with the seller.

A friend of mine's been looking for a copy for 15-20 years (he of course bought a copy now from the ebay guy) so guess it's kinda rare.

Social source share

Does anyone know anything about the value and background of this record? I've just received a lovely copy of it from a guy who found 10 mis-labelled copies and one perfectly labelled copy. It's on the Concept label. Some of the mis-labelled copies have either this side labels on both sides, or the other side, "The Watergate Jazz", on both sides. Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to have the mis-label with "Juicy Mouth" printed on both sides.

My guess is that the Watergate Jazz is a spoof, or play on words, after the Watergate Scandal which caused Nixon to resign, which would date the record between 1972 or 1974. Anyone know any more about this? Also, does anyone know if the majority of copies in the UK are perfect, or mislabelled?

Most importantly, anyone know of a value? (not that I would sell it, sorry!)

liza mae has done another version on concept same backing but different title and lyrics again..title escapes for the time being,,,

Gene

Social source share

Anyway, is Liza really singing what I think she's singing about? To me this is the best version and I luckily have both labels where they're supposed to be. :thumbup:

And Gene R, I'll pm you.

Thanks for the PM Helena - very interesting reading!

I think Liza Mae is actually singing about her boyfriend who's a bit of a loudmouth ("juicy mouth" probably being a slang term as such), as she complains about him shooting his mouth off - but she still loves him none the less! Pretty sure that's what it is - I just played it again, and even my broad-minded fertile imagination couldn't decipher any innuendo!

And thanks, also, to everyone else for filling me in on this and Michael Christian!

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I think Liza Mae is actually singing about her boyfriend who's a bit of a loudmouth ("juicy mouth" probably being a slang term as such), as she complains about him shooting his mouth off - but she still loves him none the less! Pretty sure that's what it is - I just played it again, and even my broad-minded fertile imagination couldn't decipher any innuendo!

That makes a lot more sense than the Swedish interpretation, but ours is way funnier. :ohmy: Better keep that to myself though. :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert