Rarest Of The Rare?

The thread about Marge Dodson in the Sales section got me thinking about that column that Ian Levine ran for a while in Togetherness mag.

I went through a spell of searching for a lot of those things on the net. Perhaps inevitably, most of the ones that were not too hard to find were disapointing to say the least. In fact some of then wouldn't have got a spin at Wigan in the very worst of the 'pop' years.

Off the top of my head there was:

David Huff - Mary Browne - MOR pop - although the strings are ok. from what I remember it would appeal more to Steely Dan fans

JT Sears & Rowbux - Breaking Point - Pop/Rock - wouldn't have been played at the very worst point of Wigan's history.

Sue Raney - The Rains Came - similar to Dana Vallery?? My a*se!

Elliot Hoffman - Another World - The least soulful record I've EVER heard on TSOP - what on earth is this one all about?

The one I kept was Jimmy George - Ain't it Something - despite the whiney white vocals I liked the horns.

Felt embarressed using the Togetherness quotes on eBay when offloading the rest though :thumbsup:

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

To be fair to Ian they weren't all shite!! In that lot he reviewed stuff like Benny Harper, Descisions, Brewster Crew, Silent Majority amongst others quality stuff indeed.

John

Social source share

To be fair to Ian they weren't all shite!! In that lot he reviewed stuff like Benny Harper, Descisions, Brewster Crew, Silent Majority amongst others quality stuff indeed.

John

link

Yeah, I wasn't saying they were all rubbish John. I was making the point that the ones you were likely to find quite easily were more than likely gonna be pap!

Godz

Social source share

Talking of rare I got through the post today

Seven Souls - I Still love you

Eddie Whitehead - Just your fool

Flash McKinley - I'll rescue you

Im a happy bunny

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

link

It isn't rare :thumbsup: Other two are nice, let me guess, off Billytheboot? :thumbsup:

I seem to recall that the B side of Flash was quite good or is my memory worse than ever?

Social source share

Im a happy bunny

link

Wow Janine, been spending?? :thumbsup: ...and no, they weren't from me :thumbsup:

What label is Seven Souls on? I've got a Canadian Columbia copy from......erm......Canada. Anyone care to value this as I haven't a clue! :thumbsup:

Mark

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Im a happy bunny

link

give me your eddie whitehead pleassssssssssssssssssssse :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Or failing that gimme my thread back....

..er  ..please  :lol:

Godz

link

:thumbsup: Oh alright then. Yeah, Levine recommended some right pap. Why is it that on so many records I like he preferred playing the b side? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Someone gave me that Rocket promotion CD he did. Appalling, only ever listened to it once. Jimmy Jockstrap is about the only on I can remember. Not too good either.

Happy now ya freaky green lump? :lol:

Social source share

:thumbsup: Oh alright then.  Yeah, Levine recommended some right pap.  Why is it that on so many records I like he preferred playing the b side?  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Someone gave me that Rocket promotion CD he did.  Appalling, only ever listened to it once.  Jimmy Jockstrap is about the only on I can remember.  Not too good either.

link

No need to get personal :lol:

Anyway, I was only kidding. But if we are back on topic can anybody remember what some of the other recommendations were and are there any that are not too expensive but worth watching out for?

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

No need to get personal  :thumbsup:  

Anyway, I was only kidding. But if we are back on topic can anybody remember what some of the other recommendations were and are there any that are not too expensive but worth watching out for?

Godz

link

Not from his recent lot but The Lavelles on Philips that he tipped in about 1973 has a great other side. And the other side of the Jades on Poncello. See what I mean?

I think nearly every dealer in the country sold him crap records telling him they were brilliant and rare. Very strange taste.

He also said Minzi Berry was crap. :thumbsup: I wonder if he has applied to play the new Doctor Who?

I though calling you a "freaky green lump" was being endearing? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Godz

link

the four vandals and velencia wilson :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i'll get my coat :tomato2:

Social source share

:thumbsup: Oh alright then.  Yeah, Levine recommended some right pap.  Why is it that on so many records I like he preferred playing the b side?  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Someone gave me that Rocket promotion CD he did.  Appalling, only ever listened to it once.  Jimmy Jockstrap is about the only on I can remember.  Not too good either.

link

yes i also had that apalingly crap CD got about halfway thro and smashed it

Social source share

Not from his recent lot but The Lavelles on Philips that he tipped in about 1973 has a great other side.  And the other side of the Jades on Poncello.  See what I mean?

I though calling you a "freaky green lump" was being endearing?  :thumbsup:

link

Nowt wrong with freaky and green - "lump" touched a sore spot though as Mrs G is about to ban the traditional Sunday curry and suggests we have something more healthy (ie less fatty- ie not as tasty) instead :thumbsup:

Anyone got a tracklisting for the Rocket CD?

Godz

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

link

Some great tunes on that Rocket CD! Can't remember all the ones I liked but deffo The Hytones and (I'm probably alone in this one) Joey Scarbury.

Will do a list of em.

Edited by Andy BB
Social source share

Godz

link

Cliff Wagner - exception to the rul on Jewel which I think he said was ultra rare, which its definitely not, but he was right in saying its a great record, anyone going to sell me one for under £30?? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Nowt wrong with freaky and green - "lump" touched a sore spot though as Mrs G is about to ban the traditional Sunday curry and suggests we have something more healthy (ie less fatty- ie not as tasty) instead :rolleyes:

Anyone got a tracklisting for the Rocket CD?

Godz

link

The first few were:

SHITE

TEDIOUS SHITE

OBVIOUS SHITE

ON IT BECAUSE IT MAY BE RARE BUT SHITE

MORE SHITE

BORING SHITE

MADE UP SHITE

ALRIGHT

REALLY SHITE AFTER AN ALRIGHT RECORD

PISS POOR

SHITE

Social source share

The first few were:

SHITE

TEDIOUS SHITE

OBVIOUS SHITE

MORE SHITE

BORING SHITE

MADE UP SHITE

ALRIGHT

PISS POOR

SHITE

link

Come on Stuart - there must have been one or two that you weren't so keen on :rolleyes:

Godz

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Come on Stuart - there must have been one or two that you weren't so keen on :thumbsup:

Godz

link

I found the quality generally very consistent. :rolleyes:

I'm going to find it and play it when I get home. If I'm not too pissed. So unlikely then.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

The first few were:

SHITE

TEDIOUS SHITE

OBVIOUS SHITE

MORE SHITE

BORING SHITE

MADE UP SHITE

ALRIGHT

PISS POOR

SHITE

link

That explains it.

You've got Volume 2 there Stuart.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

That explains it.

You've got Volume 2 there Stuart.

link

Ah that explains it.

Why is Vienetta Watsit named after an ice cream chocolate log? It made me suspicious.

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

Godz

link

Brenda Starr - Satan.Let me Sleep Tonight - Polydor

Nice track , gets occasional plays

Nowhere near as rare as IL would have us believe though

I picked one up for a tenner with a few crackles at the beginning

Probably a ton in good nick

BTW played by Roly Ferguson long before Ian discovered it :rolleyes:

Steve McWilliams

Social source share

Brenda Starr  -  Satan.Let me Sleep Tonight - Polydor

Nice track , gets occasional plays

Nowhere near as rare as IL would have us believe though

I picked one up for a tenner with a few crackles at the beginning

Probably a ton in good nick

BTW played by Roly Ferguson long before Ian discovered it :shades:

Steve McWilliams

link

Steve,

It should get more plays and I think Roly even put it out on a Neighbourhood CD long before Ian started to rave about it.

Maybe you should dust it off for Sat night :huh: .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert