Guest Paul

• Replies 180
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

For some reason my computer at work has now decided to let me post but will no longer let me play Refosoul!!!!! :ohmy:

Tried today to tell work colleagues of why Levi Stubbs' death is such a loss to so many who love soul music, only to be met with blank looks and lots of bland "Oh well" type of statements.

I wanted to play the acappella version off here of Just Ask The Lonely to the Philistines but it won't play!!! One colleague did say that they would love to hear it but they are not on the net at home.

Please can someone think of a way I can play it tomorrow, keeping in mind that the council block things like You Tube etc.

Is there a way it can be sent in an e-mail or something by me from home, with a link that will allow Windows Media to play it?

Clutching at straws I know but any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

For some reason my computer at work has now decided to let me post but will no longer let me play Refosoul!!!!! :ohmy:

Tried today to tell work colleagues of why Levi Stubbs' death is such a loss to so many who love soul music, only to be met with blank looks and lots of bland "Oh well" type of statements.

I wanted to play the acappella version off here of Just Ask The Lonely to the Philistines but it won't play!!! One colleague did say that they would love to hear it but they are not on the net at home.

Please can someone think of a way I can play it tomorrow, keeping in mind that the council block things like You Tube etc.

Is there a way it can be sent in an e-mail or something by me from home, with a link that will allow Windows Media to play it?

Clutching at straws I know but any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

KTF.

Drew.

Hi Drew,

Simply go to freerecorder.com and download the free recorder. Record the song from the link on this thread. Hey Presto you have your own MP3 of it to do with what you will.

Social source share

PM sent.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest familytree

Ive only signed up on this site to add my condolences... a great musician indeed who influenced my youth and determined my future in music..

i wondered after reading the lovely tributes if it would be possible for them to be forwarded to his family so they can take comfort and feel the love from England?... im no computer buff so is this possible... does he have any family?

love

lorna x

Social source share

Absolutely gutted by this sad news, "Ask the lonely" is my favourite record from Motown. Its got everything, and Levi sings it with such feeling and totally effortless. Just pure class oozes from his silky soulful voice all the way through, and builds and builds right to the end.

I have played it as a last record at the end of the night many times and never fails to get a reaction.

He is one of the all time greats and will be sadly missed. But 'that' voice will always remain with me always.

R.I.P Levi

Best

Molly

His performance live on Ask The Lonely (about ten years ago at MEN Arena - may have been Nynex then) was one the greatest performances I have ever seen. Absolute showstopper. I'll post up the set John O'Donnell played on Saturday at Formby Hall in lookbacks.

Double sadness today with Dee Dee going to heaven

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Oh my god, what can i say but Levi was as much Motown as anyone else. The Four Tops even away from Motown created some of Soul music's greatest hits.

No better way then a tribute should be too all radio sations that play at least one Four Tops song. I think i shall contact Hereward soon for the request (after all they do play Jackie Wilson and Aretha Franklin so Four Tops may not be a problem)

RIP Levi Stubbs

Social source share

Ive only signed up on this site to add my condolences... a great musician indeed who influenced my youth and determined my future in music..

i wondered after reading the lovely tributes if it would be possible for them to be forwarded to his family so they can take comfort and feel the love from England?... im no computer buff so is this possible... does he have any family?

love

lorna x

Nice thought..

Can the mods/Mike take up on this..

Social source share

Only found out via SS last night that Levi was gone,

I was away last week and had no way of knowing, and even though we knew his time left with us, was coming to an end, its still so very sad.

When folk talk about Motown and the many superb artists they had around the place, there can truly, only be one voice that shone above all the others, and that voice was Mr Levi Stubbs, sheer emotional brilliance, there will never ever be another Levi, in that I have no doubt.

Last night I went on to You Tube and spent around an hour watching a listening to clips, I have to admit, I filled up when I watched the Aretha Franklin duet, so sad to see my hero in such sad circumstances.

To end I would just like to add a big thank you to Levi for giving me so much pleasure through his wonderful voice, and how happy I am to have been around to have seen and hear him sing in my life time.

Ladies & Gentlemen

The One, The Only

Mr Levi Stubbs

Social source share

A bit of a shout for Talk Sport radio

I was awoken this morning with the magical vocals of Levi belting out the opening lines to "7 Rooms of gloom"

They played around 30 seconds of i,t and according to the DJ Adrian Goldstein they had been playing small snippets of Four Tops recordings all night in tribute, and announcing that Levi had passed away at the weekend, I also heard "Reach Out" & "Shake Me Wake Me" before setting off to work, doesn't seem much I grant you, but considering they never play record's on this station as it's basically dedicated to sport, I thought it was a nice touch.

Well done to all concerned at "Talk Sport Radio" on 1053mw

:yes:

"Seven rooms thats all it it, seven rooms of gloom, I live in emptiness, without your tenderness"

Chuffin brilliant :lol:

Social source share

Have been following this forum since Levi's sad passing was announced.

Every time I read the emotional comments I feel sad that he (and the rest of the Group with the exception of Duke) are no longer around; however it reminds me of how fortunate I was to have seen the Tops live at the Birmingham Odeon with school friends in the early 70s.

Full marks for the sincere, wise and poignant posts from Soul Sourcers. I can't add any more to what's already been said.

Best,

Steve

Social source share

love

lorna x

Fans may send condolences via the Web site www.Levi.MotownAlumni.com.

Social source share

Firstly, apologies for the delay in this posting.

I remember as a 10 year old watching Top Of The Pops ( I think ) in my Grans house on a black & white TV and the Four Tops were performing their No. 1 hit "Reach Out , I'll Be There" From that moment on I was hooked. Seems a little strange now saying that as a 10 year old I was into Motown, but it was true. So started the forty year hobby or obsession (as my wife calls it) for record collecting and Motown and Soul Music.

So I really have to thank Mr. Levi Stubbs for all that. He has made such an impact on my life as a lover of Motown & Soul music or any type of music for that matter that I believed myself to be his No. 1 fan. But I am sure lots of other people would consider themselves in that position.

Whenever Levi sang a song he told a story. You could clearly hear every word, precise and meaningful. To say his heart and soul was in a performance was an understatement, he gave his all and more. His character was that of a true professional, highly dignified. Respected by his peers, his fans and musicians and singers from the length and breadth of pop music. His role as a truly wonderful family man was well known. So many wonderful characteristics of a human being. I once read a quote from Lamont Dozier and Briand Holland saying that when they were working in the early and mid sixties with the Four Tops, their work was so easy it was untrue. They (the Four Tops ) were always punctual, well prepared and so easy to work with. Levi was a master with his phrasing and timing. History has proved that those HDH songs and the Tops performances are and always will be forever timeless.

A few years ago I wrote an article in the Motown fanzine Chatbusters. It was titled Levi Stubbs- The Voice Of Motown. I am not a writer or a journalist or anything like that, just a Motown fan. Someone in the States had gotten hold of a copy and showed it to him, he was so pleased that he got in touch via his daughter and requested 25 copies. All the family has to have one he said. This was the start of a friendship between his daughter Deborah and my wife and I.

We were fortunate to visit Detroit last year and met up with his family. Sadly he had not been well that weekend, but had insisted in signing a photo for us which when it was given to me had me in tears. That was the type of man he was. Although I never met him on a one to one, you could just feel his presence that day.

This year his daughters had planned to come over and stay with us and to attend the October Prestatyn Weekender. They wanted to say a public thank you for all the love, support and devotion that the British fans had given to him over the years. He had told them that the British fans, well they are genuine and loyal, they really do appreciate you when you perform there.

Sadly due to unforeseen circumstances they could not make the trip. I was so pleased to have played a tribute to him at Prestatyn, little did I know that a week later he would no longer be with us.

One of the funnier things he told his daughter to ask us was that whenever the Four Tops were touring the UK they could never get over the place names especially in Wales and Scotland. How do those people ever pronounce those places that we passed through he said.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but when you see or hear all the tributes it just proves that he was THE Giant amongst Giants. And the best singer ever ? A most definite yes in my book.

The world is a sadder place for the passing of Levi Stubbs, but don't be down as he is never going to be too far away. You will hear his voice for many, many years to come.

Kev Jones

Social source share

Firstly, apologies for the delay in this posting.

I remember as a 10 year old watching Top Of The Pops ( I think ) in my Grans house on a black & white TV and the Four Tops were performing their No. 1 hit "Reach Out , I'll Be There" From that moment on I was hooked. Seems a little strange now saying that as a 10 year old I was into Motown, but it was true. So started the forty year hobby or obsession (as my wife calls it) for record collecting and Motown and Soul Music.

So I really have to thank Mr. Levi Stubbs for all that. He has made such an impact on my life as a lover of Motown & Soul music or any type of music for that matter that I believed myself to be his No. 1 fan. But I am sure lots of other people would consider themselves in that position.

Whenever Levi sang a song he told a story. You could clearly hear every word, precise and meaningful. To say his heart and soul was in a performance was an understatement, he gave his all and more. His character was that of a true professional, highly dignified. Respected by his peers, his fans and musicians and singers from the length and breadth of pop music. His role as a truly wonderful family man was well known. So many wonderful characteristics of a human being. I once read a quote from Lamont Dozier and Briand Holland saying that when they were working in the early and mid sixties with the Four Tops, their work was so easy it was untrue. They (the Four Tops ) were always punctual, well prepared and so easy to work with. Levi was a master with his phrasing and timing. History has proved that those HDH songs and the Tops performances are and always will be forever timeless.

A few years ago I wrote an article in the Motown fanzine Chatbusters. It was titled Levi Stubbs- The Voice Of Motown. I am not a writer or a journalist or anything like that, just a Motown fan. Someone in the States had gotten hold of a copy and showed it to him, he was so pleased that he got in touch via his daughter and requested 25 copies. All the family has to have one he said. This was the start of a friendship between his daughter Deborah and my wife and I.

We were fortunate to visit Detroit last year and met up with his family. Sadly he had not been well that weekend, but had insisted in signing a photo for us which when it was given to me had me in tears. That was the type of man he was. Although I never met him on a one to one, you could just feel his presence that day.

This year his daughters had planned to come over and stay with us and to attend the October Prestatyn Weekender. They wanted to say a public thank you for all the love, support and devotion that the British fans had given to him over the years. He had told them that the British fans, well they are genuine and loyal, they really do appreciate you when you perform there.

Sadly due to unforeseen circumstances they could not make the trip. I was so pleased to have played a tribute to him at Prestatyn, little did I know that a week later he would no longer be with us.

One of the funnier things he told his daughter to ask us was that whenever the Four Tops were touring the UK they could never get over the place names especially in Wales and Scotland. How do those people ever pronounce those places that we passed through he said.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but when you see or hear all the tributes it just proves that he was THE Giant amongst Giants. And the best singer ever ? A most definite yes in my book.

The world is a sadder place for the passing of Levi Stubbs, but don't be down as he is never going to be too far away. You will hear his voice for many, many years to come.

Kev Jones

:ohmy: Bob on Mate.

Social source share

Terrible news, what a loss, without wanting to sound like my Dad, they don't sing like that anymore, and sadly they never will again.

Faves for me are too numerous to mention, but 'left with a broken heart' and 'whenever theres blue' always get a spin on record room nites, but really theres dozens of tracks isn't there? One of THE soul voices.

R.I.P

Social source share

got to be the best and most poignant tune at this time " LEFT WITH A BROKEN HEART". played it at willington last sat. it received the applause it deserved.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert