• Replies 180
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

Thats just the saddest news Paul , truly the end of an era , so many records , so many memories .RIP Levi .Best,Eddie

levi stubbs in my opinion gave the ultimate vocal masterclass when

he sang if i was a carpenter.an incredible singer who will never be

equalled :)sad.gif:(:lol:

Social source share

Sorry to say I just heard that Levi Stubbs has passed away.

He was the ultimate 'heartbreaker' voice of his time. It really is the end of an era.

God bless him.

Paul Mooney

You have said it Paul - the end of an era .........

THANKYOU LEVI : there will be never be a voice to match yours .

RIP dear sir ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

He was the ultimate 'heartbreaker' voice of his time. It really is the end of an era.

God bless him.

Paul Mooney

THE greatest soul singer of them all, no ifs or buts, he was the "Tops". Got to see him

in 1975 at the Hammersmith Palais, the Four Tops with him singing lead were awesome.

We may never see the likes of him ever again.

RIP Levi

Chris L

Social source share

Thats just the saddest news Paul , truly the end of an era , so many records , so many memories .RIP Levi .Best,Eddie

His voice got me hooked on soul. So for that alone, i owe the man. A true SOUL Legend

RIP Levi Stubbs

Social source share

saw him live with the 4tops in gloucester around 70/71 never forgot it.....top man,great voice ezzie

saturday afternoon now and...................

JUST LISTENED /WATCHED "JUST ASK THE LONELY" MADE ME CRY A LITTLE..............probably for him and myself., and i got nothing to cry about!!!!!!!!!...........not many songs or singers can do that.......lost for words now..................................... a voice from my youth just walked away..............

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

What a sad day.

Like many others on here, it is thanks to Levi that I first became interested in soul....who didn't know The Four tops?

Someone will probably put up that tear jerking clip of him singing with the rest of the gang when he was very ill and we will all have a good cry. :)

RIP Levi

x

Social source share

Tis very sad news....Just Walk Away Renee...i remember hearing that song for the first time when i was 10.....the goosepimples even now gets me :) ...the list just seems to get longer and longer.....RIP..Levi Stubbs...RIP soul Brother and thank you....Del

Social source share

God bless him.

Paul Mooney

So Sad to hear that. What a voice always one of the ones that carried the backing track to our lives. Levi I'll miss you but at least you left your sweet music behind.

Thank you

Kev

post-13983-1224264054_thumb.jpg

post-13983-1224264013_thumb.jpg

post-13983-1224264096_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The thread i always dreaded on Soul Source, the death of the irreplaceable Mr Stubbs!

I don't have any kids but managed to suggest to my sister when she was alive & her partner to call their son Levi after my Soul hero.

Whenever i see young Levi who is growing up fast i always think directly on to Levi S.

I've just managed to snag my dream job today, bought a lovely bottle of wine to celebrate & thought i'd have a quick look on Soul Source first, this news will make the wine taste very sour.

R.I.P

Simon

Social source share

WHO COULD EVER COMPARE ,GONNA DIG A FEW OUT AND GET SOME OF HIS MASTERPICES POSTED OVER THE DURATION,!!THIS IS A SAD DAY FOR SOUL MUSIC AS HE LED MOST OF US ON THIS GREAT JOURNEY.LAST TIME I DJED AT THE DDA I PLAYED STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF LOVE IT SOUNDED MAGNIFICENT,IM AS UPSET NOW AS I WAS WHEN MAYFIELD PASSED!

BAZ A

Social source share

Four Tops - ASK THE LONELY - Shivaree -

My favorite Tops record bar none!

We all agree We "Just can't get you out of our Mind"

A giant of a man, And The BEST voice on Motown!

Sadly missed

Andy.

Social source share

The video of Ask The Lonely above says it all, I think its his finest moments of many fine moments, still sounds as stunningly awe inspiringly beautiful as when I first heard it.

Oh so sad.

Have just watched the clip with him in wheelchair so this was great antitode, Levi as a cool young Black man, the group exuding cool in a way that seemed unique to many of the groups from that era.

R.I.P and thanks so much

Edited by jocko
Social source share

At these times I tend to look back at the work left behind and try to avoid the sadness of the occasion. Have to admit that this time that was difficult. Losing Mr Stubbs is like losing a family friend. He came into my life as I first discovered this music and stayed with me right up until yesterday when I was playing one of the Four Tops French EPs and still enjoying the wonderment of his unique vocal.

I don't think anyone could match his vocal delivery for soul content, and that's a helluva statement to make when you consider the array of talent to choose from. I'm sure tonight, Levi, Lawrence and Obie will be reliving the years they spent giving so much pleasure to so many people. And after such a battle against his illness who on Earth would begrudge them a minute of it? So.......Sleep well Mr Levi Stubbs....and please accept congratulations on a job done to such a standard that it became the yardstick for many to try and attain...but NONE could actually achieve. Soul Perfection.

post-1369-1224267985_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Geez....this is sad news

Levi- THE VOICE..... R.I.P

We'll never forget you,condolences to your family

& THANK YOU so much for the music.

Dr Bob Jones ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source