Guest Paul

• Replies 180
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sorry to say I just heard that Levi Stubbs has passed away.

He was the ultimate 'heartbreaker' voice of his time. It really is the end of an era.

God bless him.

Paul Mooney

Well what can you say, which superlatives do you choose to pay homage to one of the greatest soul voices ever, absolutely loved Levis voice and respect to the 4 Tops for staying togehter over the years

RIP and hats of to Mr Levi Stubbs.

Social source share

Such sad news.

His was the voice of Motown.

Was lucky enough to see the Tops along with Edwin at Notts Palais in the mid 70's. A memorable night that I will remember forever.

God bless Levi, and thankyou for the wonderful songs you gave us.

Rest In Peace

Ian Turpie

Social source share

Tragic news...although we all knew it would happen sooner than later.

One of my first favourite voices!!!

We all have our 15 seconds of fame...I bragged for years that I sang

with him...then added quickly.. that he left the stage and he pointed

the microphone at me in 1967 in the Colston Hall in Bristol..and I

sang 'Baby I Need Your Lovin' with him.

He had a voice that left you with goosebumps..I remember first hearing

'Bernadette'...so exciting....

A legend....very sad indeed.

Regards

Social source share

Guest mel brat

If it wasn't for him I may never of got into this scene as it was the tops as a 13 year lad that made me take notice of 60s black music...

Ditto. How many of us as youngsters practiced our moves in front of the bedroom mirror miming to Four Tops records or dancing to "I'll Turn To Stone" at the youth club disco?

I saw the Tops three times live and they were always a spectacular act and definitive crowd pleaser. Levi roared like a lion and had us all dancing in the aisles in no time. "Ask The Lonely" has particularly fond memories for me and will be even more poignant from now on. This is a sad day indeed.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Such a wonderful talent, a voice that still makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up every time you hear it....

R.I.P Levi..

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Sad news indeed, but thankfully his voice is still with us to remind us & future generations what a truely soulful singer he was, as others 'Ask The Lonely' is one track (of many) that for me has it all.

KTF

Baz

ll give

He was the ultimate 'heartbreaker' voice of his time. It really is the end of an era.

God bless him.

Paul Mooney

godblesslevistubbs.mp3

Social source share

I remember listening to the FOUR TOPS ON TOP ALBUM Played it over and over again until it was knackered. The mans voice on those tracks have and will live with me forever. His legacy is for all of us to cherish and with the rest of the guys he was just simply SUBLIME. Indeed we will after losing some of the true greats over the last couple of years NEVER SEE SUCH A TALENT AGAIN. We loved you LEVI God bless you and rest in peace.

Levi Stubbs --- R.I.P.

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Some really great posts on here that say it all thumbsup.gif Just wish i hadn't pressed play on the Ask The Lonely video that was put up as i was reading.... really did bring a lump to my throat & a tear to my eye.

Put the LP on the deck to try & make it feel better....... guess I shouldn't have started with side 1 ! smile.gif

It's horrible watching icons of your youth slipping away but it's life i suppose. So thank you Levi for the times your voice has made me 'feel' ... be it emotion or joy it was still wonderful... you will be missed but your music will endure for many many years... probably forever.

Thankyou

Social source share

I remember listening to the FOUR TOPS ON TOP ALBUM Played it over and over again until it was knackered. The mans voice on those tracks have and will live with me forever. His legacy is for all of us to cherish and with the rest of the guys he was just simply SUBLIME. Indeed we will after losing some of the true greats over the last couple of years NEVER SEE SUCH A TALENT AGAIN. We loved you LEVI God bless you and rest in peace.

Levi Stubbs --- R.I.P.

fdsoul6345789

ill second that frazer, there will never be a voice like that again.

god rest him.

Social source share

One of my greatest ever hero's, i've been offline for most of the day and just found this out, to say I'm gutted is an understatement sad.gif , truly a sad loss to the world of soul music and he was one of the greatest vocalists of all time, just glad he is at peace after such a long illness, and how ironic I had just received the Four Tops 50th anniversary dvd yesterday

RIP Levi...you were simply the best,

Lenny sad.gif

Social source share

Pre teens in the late sixties levi Stubbs & the 4tops were a major influence on my direction of soul music,motown then Northern.

Definately a legend in my book hopefully Levi will get some recognition global...!

Social source share

Heard this on the radio this afternoon sad.gif I have to agree with everything that has been said so far.

I saw the Four Tops in the 70's in the UK and a couple of times in the 90's in the US....they always performed with great enthusiasm and professionalism....and Levi's voice....words cannot describe. He's been ill for so long now, this is no surprise, he's at peace now.

God Bless Levi....RIP

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

sad news indeed,i like many others grew up and onwards after hearing that searing voice on all those classic motown records. if i hadn't heard and been hooked on the motown sound,i doubt i would have been writing this. indeed if it wasn't for the voice of the man, would we have had a northern scene at all?

r.i.p. levi, and thanks for the memories. that's some group being assembled up there now.

Social source share

Quite Possibly the Greatest Male Vocalist EVER! END OFF!

Levi................THANK YOU!

You're Music will be with me FOREVER!

Simple as that!

LEVI STUBBS RIP!

I've come home pissed I'm crying now. Tats playing 'Do what you gotta do' at Monumental springs to mind amongst so many great others.

Social source share

As a kid Levi Stubbs' voice was one of the first voices I heard which stirred my lifelong passion for Soul music. As a 10 year old only child in 1965, I spent a lot of time listening to the radio and in 1965 the radio in our house was set to the BBC Light Programme. Suddenly, throughout the next two years, the family radio reverberated with the most incredible music I'd ever heard in my life. Records like "I Can't Help Myself", "It's The Same Old Song", "Reach Out I'll Be There", "Standing In The Shadows In Love" and "Bernadette" all poured forth from the Bush TR82 radio in our kitchen.

It's almost like the soulful heartbeat of Detroit was being fed into the family kitchen every morning.

If the truth be known, it's probably the vocals of Levi Stubbs which instigated my eventual journey into what we now know as Northern Soul.

Naturally I'll be doing a Levi tribute on the Original Mastercuts Show 2.00-4.00pm this coming Sunday on www.starpointradio.com @ 3.00pm sharp.

Levi Stubbs is an icon in Soul music's rich history.

So majestic, so powerful and so unique. God bless him.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

It's not often I cry at the keyboard, but I can't help myself today, no pun intended. There aren't many singers who have travelled with me from 70s youth club disco to Australian mod scene and back, 80s scooter rallies to 90s Cleethorpes weekenders, South coast soul nights to Southport Saturday afternoon sessions. Has anyone got a pic of that lovely scooter that used to be Karl Russell's? Post it up for me would you please?

Theresa x

When the world falls apart some things stay in place

She takes off the Four Tops tape and puts it back in its case

And when the world falls apart some things stay in place

Levi Stubbs tears...

Social source share

Guest ktf mal

Another genius gone, sad, sad news.

gary

Yes another genius gone but not forgotten, his music will live on......

I love all there stuff, to many to mension

only just found Clip my wings a few months ago, and it make's my hairs stand on end......it's so brill

R.I.P.

ktf mal

Social source share

It's rare for me to make a post but on this occasion I had to. I'm watching 'ask the lonely' on utube and it reminds me when as a young teenager in 1970 I couldn't decide whether I wanted to listen to rock (as most of my mates did) or soul. Levi and the tops made that decision for me. imo the best voice I have ever heard or will hear.

As another post says he stirred my passions for a life of soul music.

RIP.

Paul

Social source share

Just watched the clip on You Tube with Aretha where the Tops wheel Levi on in the wheelchair............ I just could not stop blubbering shhh.gif

And I Defy anyone on here who genuinely say what they have said, to watch the clip and not do the same yes.gif

Just So Touching and Sad Really, The Voice of so many Classic moments in time.

But I think Aretha is really Humbled to have Him on the stage and it makes me cry and sad, but happy at the same time.................I think you all know what I am trying to say :thumbup:

LEVI STUBBS RIP

Edited by Bully Boy
Social source share

220px-FourTops1967.jpg

Saddened to hear about the loss of dear Levi. The golden voice of my generation.

Made even more sombre after Just returning from Detroit where I had the privilage of paying homage at the gravesides of many of the lost Motown stars including bandmates Lawrence Payton & Obi Benson.

"Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever"

R.I.P

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Levi Stubbs was the first famous person I ever interviewed. I was 14 and sh*tt*ng myself about being in a room with a man who I idolised, and whose records had helped made a difficult early adolescence somewhat easier.

Even though I asked some excruciatingly painful and banal questions, Levi spoke to me like I was the greatest journalist in the world rather than some awkward and nervous kid with a malfunctioning tape recorder.

A very great singer and, IMO, an even greater human being. God speed...

TONY

PS - I hope that the dickhead who once proclaimed on SS that "Ask the Lonely" by Ben Brown was '"the version" choked on his cornflakes when he heard this news...

Social source share

Ive mentioned this before on SS. I had a mate who was into Robert Plant and all that kinda stuff. I made him listen to the Tops one night shift at work. I made him listen to Levi,s voice. THE VOICE. That mate has just rung me up and hes mightily upset at the saddest news that Ive certainly heard this year.

LEVI STUBBS I SALUTE YOU.

I WAS AND STILL AM YOU,RE BIGGEST FAN.

Social source share

I've just found out that one of my all time favourite singers has died. This man never sang anything badly in fact totally the opposite - to the highest soulful level possible...and more. I've never shed tears over the passing of one of our hero's....this is the first!!

If I could get away with it I'd play a whole 45 minute set dedicated to him tonight at Bournemouth. RIP Levi, you and that unique, enchanting and emotional voice!!

Social source share

I don't mind saying that I had a tear in my eye last night and there's more there now.

Remories of being a kid of about 13 lay on my bed playing a Four Tops album over and over again for hours, probably hugging my pillow thinking about some girl or other at school who wouldn't acknowledge that I exsisted. You know it; you've been there.

That sweet music and voice being part of the transition from childhood to adolescence for most of us on here I would suspect.

Listening to Bernadette as I type and it just makes you know why you love soul music. It can't be easily explained and you either get it or you don't.

Levi Stubbs is the voice of Motown in my humble opinion and I thank him for all the pleasure he has given me.

Rest in peace Mr Stubbs.

Drew.

Social source share

God bless him.

Paul Mooney

godblesslevistubbs.mp3

Yep Paul i've just seen it on t.v here in OZ. Oh my God such sad news indeed. I shed a tear or two when i played the "ask the lonely " clip. The whole world has lost a true star and one that will definitely shine bright in soul heaven. As we say, " so much soul, so little time " R.I.P. Levi, you were the greatest. Tony and Sue. OZ.. K.T.F.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert