Jack Hammer Lp Info / Prices

Guest MattB

Wondering how many jackhammer LP's there are and which ones SWIM and Down In The Subway are on.

Also how much should i pay for these.

Thanks

Matt

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

My data suggests Jack Hammer has only 1 LP release.

Released on EMI UK label Sounds Superb 4M03460151 .

entitled The Kissin' Twist

I would guess this is a compilation of his early 60s material as "Kissin Twist" was issued on UK Oriole 1700 in 1962.

I've never seen or heard of another Jack Hammer LP.

Hope that helps

Social source share

This might be my only chance to correct Mr. Manship so I'll go right ahead!!!

"Down In the Subway" is on a Polydor LP from 1966 called "Brave New World".

Thanks for correcting me, something my girlfiend does all the time.

"Kissin' Twist" was the only LP I have data on. But many thanks for alerting me to the Polydor LP, as you are certainly telling me something, I don't have documented and have never seen or had for sale.

Do you have the Polydor #? is it a UK release? Track listing would be perfect..

Thanks

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I think EZZIE BROWN on here had a copy of the Jack Hammer LP... he might be able to confirm whether it was UK or European.

i have had 2 copies of the ronnex label by jack hammer,one belgian one french, ted coulstone had one , other could be prised off me for the right money its THE TWISTING KING RONNEX 001 ITS BEST TRACK IS "TWIST IN THE MORNING" which has the wade in the water backing music, .the cover is a great peice of artwork...............i think i offered it for sale on here and no one replied :lol: cheers EZZIE

Social source share

Tracklisting would be great!!

POLYDOR 582001 BRAVE NEW WORLD (LP)

Brave New World / Thanks / Love Ladder / Switch Blade Operator / From The Tomb To The Tomb / Dosby Dania Amerikanski / Black Snow / SHut Up World / Down In The Subway / J.C. / When A Girl Loves A Girl / Off Limits Soldier Boy

(incl. three 'Northern soul' style vocal tracks + spoken poetry over a hip jazz score recorded with the UK musicians: George Kish:ld.gtr, Brian Daley:ac.gtr, Laurie Holloway:pno, Roger Coulam:org, Jim Lawless:vibes, Art Ellefson:ten.sax, Ray Swinfield:alto.sax/flute, Kenny Wheeler:tp, Johnny Marshall:tb, Spike Heatley:bs, Kenny Clare:dms)

From this page : Jack Hammer

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

How much is the polydor LP worth?

Some various boring Jack Hammer info:

I've seen the LP a few times, worth around £40. there was one for buy-it-now on ebay for ages. The whole LP is nice Oscar Brown Jr style stuff, but 'down in the subway' the definite stand-out track, but also a nice track 'switchblade operator'. There's also 'love ladder' too which is fairly easy on 45 and not that interesting imo.

I also have a Polydor 45 which sounds like it's from the same sessions but has a great more northern style beat with his jive talk over the top & some nice solos, great dancer and real rare, it's called 'ode to a discotheque'.

I also have the Swedish 45 of 'down in the subway' and had a UK acetate of it which i sold when i got the Swedish issue, so it seems a UK release was considered.

'Swim' only got a 45 release apart from the Youngblood sampler, which has a different take of it. Bizarrely the backing track was used a few years later for a 45 by Mike Berry called 'dial my number' on the flip of 'tribute to Buddy Holly'! It's not bad too.

Safe to say i'm a Jack Hammer fan, he seemed to be a proper character & would love to hear his story. apparently performed with Elvis, recorded with Brigitte Bardot, was an ex pro boxer in the US army, I guess why most of his records are European releases as he was posted in Europe. In the late 50s he must have been big in Europe cos all his records got releases in most euro countries, mostly twist records.

The only 60s US release i've seen is credited to Jack E Hammer called 'cool swimming pool' and uses a Googie Rene backing track and is on New Bag. Sounds like him.

Best 45 i've heard from his early period is 'Twist in the morning' imo, which uses the 'Wade in the water' tune. again

er, sorry, i'm a Jack Hammer fan and cant resist the chance to go on about him. Found 'Swim' for 50p in the mid 90s and it rocked the club i was DJing in for years, so i feel i owe him!

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Some various boring Jack Hammer info:

I've seen the LP a few times, worth around £40. there was one for buy-it-now on ebay for ages. The whole LP is nice Oscar Brown Jr style stuff, but 'down in the subway' the definite stand-out track, but also a nice track 'switchblade operator'. There's also 'love ladder' too which is fairly easy on 45 and not that interesting imo.

I also have a Polydor 45 which sounds like it's from the same sessions but has a great more northern style beat with his jive talk over the top & some nice solos, great dancer and real rare, it's called 'ode to a discotheque'.

I also have the Swedish 45 of 'down in the subway' and had a UK acetate of it which i sold when i got the Swedish issue, so it seems a UK release was considered.

'Swim' only got a 45 release apart from the Youngblood sampler, which has a different take of it. Bizarrely the backing track was used a few years later for a 45 by Mike Berry called 'dial my number' on the flip of 'tribute to Buddy Holly'! It's not bad too.

Safe to say i'm a Jack Hammer fan, he seemed to be a proper character & would love to hear his story. apparently performed with Elvis, recorded with Brigitte Bardot, was an ex pro boxer in the US army, I guess why most of his records are European releases as he was posted in Europe. In the late 50s he must have been big in Europe cos all his records got releases in most euro countries, mostly twist records.

The only 60s US release i've seen is credited to Jack E Hammer called 'cool swimming pool' and uses a Googie Rene backing track and is on New Bag. Sounds like him.

Best 45 i've heard from his early period is 'Twist in the morning' imo, which uses the 'Wade in the water' tune. again

er, sorry, i'm a Jack Hammer fan and cant resist the chance to go on about him. Found 'Swim' for 50p in the mid 90s and it rocked the club i was DJing in for years, so i feel i owe him!

hi mike,i think you know i love him to, is that emi of "subway" i got your old one ? and have you got the twisting lp, i also have the ronnex label dancing instruction sheet for "the wiggle " you got that ? cheers ezzie

Social source share

POLYDOR 582001 BRAVE NEW WORLD (LP)

Brave New World / Thanks / Love Ladder / Switch Blade Operator / From The Tomb To The Tomb / Dosby Dania Amerikanski / Black Snow / SHut Up World / Down In The Subway / J.C. / When A Girl Loves A Girl / Off Limits Soldier Boy

(incl. three 'Northern soul' style vocal tracks + spoken poetry over a hip jazz score recorded with the UK musicians: George Kish:ld.gtr, Brian Daley:ac.gtr, Laurie Holloway:pno, Roger Coulam:org, Jim Lawless:vibes, Art Ellefson:ten.sax, Ray Swinfield:alto.sax/flute, Kenny Wheeler:tp, Johnny Marshall:tb, Spike Heatley:bs, Kenny Clare:dms)

From this page : Jack Hammer

brilliant!

thanks for that.

1966 and it seems to be 2 releases before

The Sonny Childe - LP - to be continued...

anyone got that? another that has eluded me..i'm trying to acquire data on everything, so if anyone has a track listing on Sonny Childe lp i'd appreciate it..and of course an opinion of the tracks..he was a pretty good vocalist.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

1966 and it seems to be 2 releases before

The Sonny Childe - LP - to be continued...

anyone got that? another that has eluded me..i'm trying to acquire data on everything, so if anyone has a track listing on Sonny Childe lp i'd appreciate it..

Don't own the LP, but here's the info:

Sonny Childe - To Be Cont'd. - POLYDOR 582003

Chain gang

It's Got The Whole World Shakin'

Meet Me At Mary's Place

Twistin' The Night Away

Ain't That Good News

You Send Me

A Change Is Gonna Come

Two Lovers

Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Another Saturday Night

Tennessee Waltz

Shake

post-1392-1225177923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Don't own the LP, but here's the info:

Sonny Childe - To Be Cont'd. - POLYDOR 582003

Chain gang

It's Got The Whole World Shakin'

Meet Me At Mary's Place

Twistin' The Night Away

Ain't That Good News

You Send Me

A Change Is Gonna Come

Two Lovers

Swing Low Sweet Chariot

Another Saturday Night

Tennessee Waltz

Shake

post-1392-1225177923_thumb.jpg

Thanks, now I see the cover we've certainly had this LP a few times in the past, but way before we were logging track listing.. thanks for the tracks, as the next UK price guide is to include LPs.

Thanks I appreciate the listing..which I'm about to log.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Thanks, now I see the cover we've certainly had this LP a few times in the past, but way before we were logging track listing.. thanks for the tracks, as the next UK price guide is to include LPs.

Thanks I appreciate the listing..which I'm about to log.

I see it hasn't got his very best track - "Heartbreak", which came out on Polydor 45. He was Sam Cooke's nephew or something like that.

Social source share

I see it hasn't got his very best track - "Heartbreak", which came out on Polydor 45. He was Sam Cooke's nephew or something like that.

yes i think i have heard they were related but not 100% sure, is heartbreak a northern styled thing, or funky beat thing, , he did sound a bit differant as he evolved,. ...........regarding those picture sleeves, i think i have around 8, only one thats been scanned, and i have seen lots of differant pictures for the same releases. sorry i cant scan mine.........gotta learn one day!!!!!!!! ezzie one of my favs is "ALI BENGASI"

Social source share

yes i think i have heard they were related but not 100% sure, is heartbreak a northern styled thing, or funky beat thing, , he did sound a bit differant as he evolved,. ...........regarding those picture sleeves, i think i have around 8, only one thats been scanned, and i have seen lots of differant pictures for the same releases. sorry i cant scan mine.........gotta learn one day!!!!!!!! ezzie one of my favs is "ALI BENGASI"

Heartbreak is out and out Northern, with chime bars, breaks, the lot

Social source share

by the by......... i also have the ronnex. "dont let baby know" single on coloured , gold vinyl. anyone seen or got other colour vinyl releases.??????? ez ..........and trhe oriole uk one, what is the value of that ????????? i have no idea...................

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert