Little Annie - Poll

• Replies 32
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Out and out Rock and Roll IMVFHO ideal if you want to Lindyhop but really why would you want to play this on the Northern Soul Scene?

There wasn't a category to determine how bad i thought this was biggrin.gif

Social source share

Been a lot of talk of this of late so was curious to see what eveyone thought of it. I personally love it, but know a fair few who would brand it 'Rock n Roll'. For those of you that don't know it I'll post a soundbyte up in about 10 mins, so check back then biggrin.gif

link

Has that R&R sound but with a R&B'ish vocal I think.... not one of the better ones though.... sorry "billy"....

Social source share

Did nothing for me, just not got the soul it needs, more R&R, Then R&B,Then ime spoilt cos i just got, Big Mamam Thornton And I aint going stop playing it No mater what anybody says biggrin.gif

Social source share

On the 100 Club website, there's that silly thing where you can 'make Trickster dance'.  Although it's an instrumental (if memory serves) it sounds quite a bit like that.  :ohmy:

link

Instumental? biggrin.gif

Has that R&R sound but with a R&B'ish vocal I think.... not one of the better ones though.... sorry "billy"....

link

No worries "Mark". To each is own I guess :shades:

Thanks Rach.

That's a great record but what it has to do with soul or northern soul, I've no idea.  Well I have - it's got nothing to do with either, it's a 50's blues record.  Good though.

link

Blues? Definately not! R&B all the way, and a crackin R&B tune at that!

Howe tunes like Sherri Taylor and Etta James get adopted by the scene while this can be called 'Blues' and 'Rock n Roll' is beyond me.

Social source share

personally voted it shite but felt a bit guilty

sure there's a place for this somewhere, just not really in earshot of me when i'm out

maybe at home when i'm stoned out of my brains at 2am?

all part of the lineage of the music but that's like fancying kelly brook's granny isn't it?

not that's i'd want kelly brook's granny on my sofa at 2am

Social source share

personally voted it shite but felt a bit guilty

sure there's a place for this somewhere, just not really in earshot of me when i'm out

maybe at home when i'm stoned out of my brains at 2am?

all part of the lineage of the music but that's like fancying kelly brook's granny isn't it?

not that's i'd want kelly brook's granny on my sofa at 2am

link

Any port in a storm mate...

Social source share

hmmm. perhaps kelly brook's granny while looking at kelly brook in the pages of a gentleman's quarterly? would have the advantage of slowing you down at the right moments by virtue of a simple shifting of the gaze.

actually, is this too horrible to talk about?

certainly off-topic and as a previous off-topic whinger i declare kelly brook and her granny now closed

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i love r'n'b and i would dance to this if i was already on the floor but it is distinctly average in my opinion.....no way it's r&r

Davie

Social source share

It's a great record, early admittedly, but still great.

You disco kids just resent the fact that we don't have to listen to your rubbish, and can still find kickin' tunes without having to wander into Y2K. :yes:

If you don't like R&B, then fair enough, it will have no impact on you.

If you do like R&B and find this to be average just wait till you hear it out in a club....... :yes:

As for no place on the Northern Scene, draw a comparison if you will to 'Little Queenie' a tune quite similar in style...whether you love or hate that tune, you cannot deny the impact it has had on the Northern Scene with packed dancefloors in oldies venues and the like.

Labels, labels ,labels...rock'n'roll schmock 'n' roll.....it's a stonking uplifting tune..........better than them there 'Love Boat' themes that get spun out... :lol:

Ya can all kiss me Little Annie.....

:lol::lol::P:P:P:P

Social source share

said my piece on this already - it is each to his own - cant see it filling many dancefloors at northern do's unless a heavy r'n'b influenced event - still think there may be a bit of underlying reasons why some people are plugging its 'greatness' - rare by any chance?? :yes:

Social source share

It's a great record, early admittedly, but still great.

You disco kids just resent the fact that we don't have to listen to your rubbish, and can still find kickin' tunes without having to wander into Y2K. :yes:

If you don't like R&B, then fair enough, it will have no impact on you.

If you do like R&B and find this to be average just wait till you hear it out in a club....... :yes:

As for no place on the Northern Scene, draw a comparison if you will to 'Little Queenie' a tune quite similar in style...whether you love or hate that tune, you cannot deny the impact it has had on the Northern Scene with packed dancefloors in oldies venues and the like.

Labels, labels ,labels...rock'n'roll schmock 'n' roll.....it's a stonking uplifting tune..........better than them there 'Love Boat' themes that get spun out... :lol:

Ya can all kiss me Little Annie.....

:lol:   :lol:   :P   :P   :P   :P

link

What a load of shite Mace. Accept it, it's a turd on a stick, it's useless as a 'northern type r&b sound' and I actually like r&b. Little Queenie sounds like the best instrumental of all time next to this abortion.

Social source share

What a load of shite Mace.  Accept it, it's a turd on a stick, it's useless as a 'northern type r&b sound' and I actually like r&b.  Little Queenie sounds like the best instrumental of all time next to this abortion.

link

Where did I state is was a northern R&B tune????

I said it's getting plays at Northern venues and having a great response on the dancefloors.

Little Queenie does nowt for me, but is similar in style.

Its a great R&B tune.....as I said a few times...12 months from now....

Now stop talking bollox Pete.....anyway, you said it was good in an earlier post on this thread...suddenly it's a turd on a stick....make ya mind up man.... :yes:

Social source share

said my piece on this already - it is each to his own - cant see it filling many dancefloors at northern do's unless a heavy r'n'b influenced event -  still think there may be a bit of underlying reasons why some people are plugging its 'greatness' - rare by any chance?? :yes:

link

It is rare Grant, but not the reason I bought mine (for which I paid about $10)

It is rare due to supply and demand, and demand for this record was going silly long before Billy mentioned it on Soul Source.

Both Hoss and Carl Willingham flipped over this tune, both have a great ear for decent R&B.....must account for something.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, along with ones mans meat is another poison blah blah blah......those that love will love it regardless of the comments on here, so na na na na narrrrrrrrrr.

Social source share

Where did I state is was a northern R&B tune????

I said it's getting plays at Northern venues and having a great response on the dancefloors.

Little Queenie does nowt for me, but is similar in style.

Its a great R&B tune.....as I said a few times...12 months from now....

Now stop talking bollox Pete.....anyway, you said it was good in an earlier post on this thread...suddenly it's a turd on a stick....make ya mind up man.... :yes:

link

I said it's good as a stand alone record on it's own merits, but not if you bring it into the context of n.s. or r&b ... bit like To Sir With Love by Lulu - great record but wouldn't play it on the soul scene :lol:

Social source share

I said it's good as a stand alone record on it's own merits, but not if you bring it into the context of n.s. or r&b ... bit like To Sir With Love by Lulu - great record but wouldn't play it on the soul scene  :lol:

link

So it's not a turd on a stick, but a good or great record on it's stand alone merit.

Love to see you backpeddle Pete :yes::lol::lol:

There are probably hundreds of records you and I would not play on the Northern scene, but they get played.

I don't like ska and reggae...never have, but don't get upset if I hear anything of the like played at a Mod or soul event....

Social source share

said my piece on this already - it is each to his own - cant see it filling many dancefloors at northern do's unless a heavy r'n'b influenced event -  still think there may be a bit of underlying reasons why some people are plugging its 'greatness' - rare by any chance?? :lol:

link

I played it at York last month and it went down an absolute storm. Aparently does the business at Flipside too :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert