"(Xtra) Special" - Dollette McDonald

"Be Fair To Me" - Jimmy & Vella Cameron

"Heartbreaker" - Leroy Burgess

"Settle Down" - Lillo Thomas

"Turned On To You" - 80's Ladies

"Good Love" - Rome Jeffries

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ok guys, in your opinion what are the best boogie / rare groove joints from the 80's???

Joints as in venues.... I'd say Josephines here in Sheffield.... Monday nights circa 79/80 until mid 80's.... classy joint in its day with a dress code to match.... always remember waiting for the "blackboard" to appear outside in about late spring saying "no jacket required" (due to heat inside).... managemewnt hated it because their idea/opinion was that blokes in jackets didn't fight :thumbsup: .... and thought it was "safe" to lift the dress code in the summer due to it being "too hot" :thumbup: ....

Anyway, tunes on the decks.... mmmm.... New York Skyye, Kinky Foxx, Surface, MTume, etc., along with a few commercials like Luther, Booker Newbury, etc., but with no real "pigeon hole" regarding the genre played for the night.... just damn good, danceable 80's soul including the current jazz funk, rare groove and more "underground" tunes of the time....

Oh, and then it was Chubby's for the kebabs afterwards of course.... either paying for a single one or buying double.... people that went will know all about what I'm saying :thumbup: ....

Memories, memories, flooding back of that time.... start at Clifton Hall (Rotherham) on the Friday for NS.... end up Mondays at "Josies".... with summat Sat and Sun where ever (listening/dancing to what ever, NS or newer soul type stuff) in between....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Joints - American slang for "choons"

Top boogie tracks for me personally (just originals from my collection):

1. Ice-Frank Washington-Studio II Revue

2. I'm Gonna Miss Ya-Aaron Broomfield-Mountain

3. The Sound of Music-Dayton-Capitol

4. Year 2001 Electric Boogie-Rich Cason-Larc (also as "Bad Times" Capt. Rap)

5. You're a Good Girl-Lilo Thomas-Capitol

6. Tonight-Kleeer-Atlantic

7. Be Thankful for What You've Got-William DeVaughn-Tec (1982 version)

8. Slip Away-School Boyz-Columbia (nice 1984 Bunky Sheppard thing)

9. Get Me Through the Night-Barbara Mitchell-Capitol

10. Word Up-Legacy-Brunswick

Now I understand that "boogie" is sort of a UK term, right? I imagined it came from London and might have something to do with the Rare Groove scene, Caister's and that ilk. But it seems to me that it's kind of a vague term and it may have been bastardized over the years. The French and Italians eat this stuff up when I list it on eBay. It's all 80s black synth stuff.

The way I classify boogie (as in the 80s sense) is the black pop/soul music that uses more synthesizers and might be geared just a bit more toward funk and not so much Modern Soul. But then things like Zapp, Cameo, etc. are considered mainstream 80s funk in my eyes. Boogie might be more like Dayton, Beau Williams, Rene & Angela, etc.

But this is my own interpretation, so maybe some people like Dewhirst and others who got into this stuff can clarify it a little. By the way, I don't really like this term "boogie" to identify this genre. To me, when I think of the word "boogie", I think about early 50s Jump R&B, Big Joe Turner, Bullmoose Jackson and things like that. Like "boogie-woogie" music from the 40s or 50s.

And "MrWindUpBird", if you drop the Hip Hop slang and speak regular English, you'll get more respect on here. Just some advice.

-J.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Probably dont fit but I only own 3 80s records.

Windjammer - Tossin' and Turnin'

Glenda Mcloed - No Stranger To Love

and my fave

J Blackfoot - Where Is love. (Happy memories of a rammed Oddfellows floor)

Social source share

Call me Mr Cynical but a new memeber with the name Mrwindupbird probably tells you all you need to know.

Mr Cynical :thumbup: .

On a slightly different note, I've got loads of boogie 45s lots of which I can't find any info on....apart from eBay where's the best place to try and flog em??

Adam.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've never actually heard this but I had it on my list on monday! :thumbup:

Its on the Leicester Anniversary video.

Interested to know what it fetches, not that I'd sell this one. I bought it as a new release from my local record store. A great way to spend 99p.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I just stuck it on the 5 quid list Mike..

Sounds fair. I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of taking a flyer. It leans more towards the 70s than the boing pop 80s style.

I believe Boing Pop is the technical term used within the music industr.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Check out Taxi by J Blackfoot. Fantasctic tune just a bit slower than mid tempo!

Taxi is the A side Col. I played it when I first bought it, but cant say I was too impressed. Who knows 20 years later it may sound better. So I'll give it go.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert