Gerald Levert Dies

Soulfreak

Just saw on the web that O'Jays lead singer Eddie Levert's son Gerald died yesterday aged just 40. Really nice singer in his own right. I was listening to a favourite steppers song of mine by Gerald called 'Dream With No Love' when I decided to look for any recent info on Gerald on the web and came across the link below....

https://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/NEWS99/61110018/1009/NEWS07

I'd be interested to hear does anybody else's favourite tracks by Gerald?

Anybody ever catch him in concert??

Edited by mike-
Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

DO I SPEAK FOR THE WORLD - gerald levert -

11347 refosoul

A great talent and a great loss at such an early age

Trev

Edited by Neece
Social source share

Just saw on the web that O'Jays lead singer Eddie Levert's son Gerald died yesterday aged just 40. Really nice singer in his own right. I was listening to a favourite steppers song of mine by Gerald called 'Dream With No Love' when I decided to look for any recent info on Gerald on the web and came across the link below....

https://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/NEWS99/61110018/1009/NEWS07

Hi

Very sad, to hear this, at such a young age too.

He was in "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown"

"Reach Out I'll Be There", "Shotgun"

Someone has already made a tribute video on youtube

(Mr A.J.Smith)

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've said previously on here that I think Gerald Levert is (and now, sadly, was) the best soul singer of the past couple of decades. What a terrible loss, and so young, too.

I consider myself lucky enough to have seen Levert supporting the O'Jays at Hammersmith Odeon, in the mid 80s. From where I was sitting I could see Eddie standing side stage, obviously proud of his boy and really digging the great music he, his brother and cousin were making. He had every right to be proud, too The album that Eddie and Gerald made together is about as good as modern soul music got in the late 90s...

I'm just going to pop upstairs and thrill to "I'm Still" and "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" - a couple of amazing 45s - in tribute. Suggest others do likewise, if they have 'em...

God speed...

TONY

Social source share

This is such bad news..........R.I.P. Gerald

Social source share

Shocked and deeply saddened at the loss of one of the greatest Soul voices in recent years.

I was only playing his "I'm Still" last night. One of my favourite 80's Soul tracks.

Hadn't played it for over a year. Unbelievable.

His "Need Of Love Street" is also a truly awesome ballad.

Condolences to his family, four children and friends.

R.I.P.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I consider myself lucky enough to have seen Levert supporting the O'Jays at Hammersmith Odeon, in the mid 80s. From where I was sitting I could see Eddie standing side stage, obviously proud of his boy and really digging the great music he, his brother and cousin were making. He had every right to be proud, too The album that Eddie and Gerald made together is about as good as modern soul music got in the late 90s...

Social source share

So sad and so young. I have an LP somewhere of Levert with "Pop, pop, pop etc" on it and if I remember rightly a few other ballads. Favourite track is "I'm still" which when originally played by Richard Searling possibly from a tape, was referred to as being by the O'Jays presumably as Richard believed the lead vocal was that of Eddie Levert.

Social source share

As echoed above, a truely sad loss -

For those that have it in their collections checkout a couple of tracks from the Just Coolin' LP from 1988 - Feel Real & Smilin' - Quality Soul and easily overlooked amongst the mounds of vinyl. These tracks stand up well against other Soul from this era.

God Bless You Gerald

Pat

Social source share

Thanks for sharing your favourite songs, glad to see Gerald was so respected. Really envy Tony, Catriona and those who saw him in concert. It depresses me when every year we lose more soul talent, but Gerald's death really knocked the wind out of me, poor ol' Eddie..........

Martin.

Social source share

Click A Glass - gerald levert - do i speak to the world cd 2005

11423 refosoul

One of my favourites of his from 2004, very poignant lyrics for this sad time for his family. As Tony said, one of the greats of recent years. Rest in peace fella.

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

So What If You Got a Baby - gerald levert - from my mp3 collection

11428 refosoul

From DO I SPEAK FOR THE WORLD...gone too young...

Social source share

via "contact us"

Your name

Consquella Bush

Email

Website

https://

Augusta Georgia

Comments

sorry for your loss gerald was such a wonderful singer i love all of his music. He made men that listen to him real men that have respect for good women.

Submitted by: Guest

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

There's a link on the Soul-Patrol website www.soul-patrol.com to an hour long tribute to Gerald by Chicago DJ King George. Just scroll down the page a little bit.

Some nice tracks on there, a lot mentioned here, plus another favourite of mine by Gerald, 'Baby You Are'

I have that track on a CD single...it's one of my favorites too!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!