Cd Compilations On Treasure Isle And Blue Beat

Sceneman

whenever i check the details they are mostly the dross and never any of the good stuff from what i have seen ,is there some reason they never include the really good stuff ?

any ideas what the total of their back catalogues are ??

and who owns what nowadays ??

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One of the best is a cheapo compilation that came out called Rock Steady Soul, should be able to pick one up for a fiver.

Also this one, one of the best compilation cd's that actually exists, it does not get any better, and again, this is a double cd for a fiver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Isle-Presents-Rock-Steady/dp/B0079JNDZE/ref=pd_sim_m_h__9

Social source share

As for Blue Beat, as far as I know there are no compilations that collect the best tracks together, only ones that collectors have put together themselves, I think I've got more or less every one of the 400 releases on my hard drive but I've never comped them, should do really.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

One of the best is a cheapo compilation that came out called Rock Steady Soul, should be able to pick one up for a fiver.

Also this one, one of the best compilation cd's that actually exists, it does not get any better, and again, this is a double cd for a fiver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Isle-Presents-Rock-Steady/dp/B0079JNDZE/ref=pd_sim_m_h__9

inc. the gorgeous gorgeous voice of Phyllis Dillon.

Certain singers like her I think - imagine you opened your mouth and that sound came out . . . . . . . . . . . !!

Social source share

I've got 26 CD's of Bluebeat 45s that were swapped between collectors around five or six years ago now.  The released CDs in the shops don't have the best stuff on as the copyright laws changed to 70 years from 50 years at the start of this year, so I'm afraid we won't see 1963-67 unless they can work out a deal for the rights....

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ...As you may no the Studio 1 COXONE Treasure Isle, Reid's an so on moved out of Kingston and re located in NEW YORK, on the move the took all the masters and studio tapes, just leaving all the stock vinyl back in JA, This is why I get a rye smile when I see a reissue sell for £1.50 & the 1st for £150 when they both come from the same stamper and more ironic is when the original has no label on. yes them rude boys no the gullible to Rass :ohmy: Sir D the Drug

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been listening to the three Ska, Rocksteady and Reggae Treasure Isle double CD compilations over the past few weeks and I would put them alongside my old classic vinyl comps like Club Ska 67, Intensified and Monkey Business.

Yep, well there's lots of Treasure Isle's on those comps you mentioned already.  Both the Intensified albums were brilliant.  I picked up a rare Dutch release which has volumes 1 & 2 together in a gatefold sleeve.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The Top Deck Presents... CD's are very good and still available on Amazon at good prices, also think the Blue Beat CD's from 1960 to 62 are excellent, love the mid 60's ska but these early cuts are awesome, haven't heard most of them before, love JA R&B. Nice!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert