Holding Records

What's the general etiquette around this?

I'm happy to hold stuff for a reasonable amount of time (up to 3 weeks for more expensive things*, less for cheaper stuff) but how about shorter term holds where you're asked for something, you reply within 5 minutes with all the details needed to fulfill the deal and two days later still no reply or acknowledgement of the reply? In between, someone else comes in and asks for the same thing leaving me hanging on for the first guy's reply. Do I honour the reply I gave to the first guy or draw a line under it and offer it to the second guy? I guess people have life focuses other than records but you'd expect that if you've asked for a record, chances are you'll get a reply so it's up to you to check. Unless your internet's dead, I guess. 

Don't want to p-off the guy after saying it's on hold for him but equally can't really afford to maybe lose out.  :g:

*that said I'm into week 5 of holding something that has a deposit on it

Social source share

We have all been there Jason, if you know the guy well you will know I guess, if it's somebody new, ask for immediate payment, or perhaps a holding deposit, I've done that before, non refundable and good to set a time limit for the full payment.

Something along those lines perhaps, not an easy one and some on here don't hold at all these days, first full payment gets it.

Mal

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can see that the PM reply I sent on here hasn't been seen yet so probably he's not picked up his emails too. Dug around the site and found a mobile too (from 2008 so who knows who got that!) so tried that avenue and still no reply so maybe just off the radar at the moment. Frustrating though, when you want to get it done and move 'em out.  :(

Social source share

what you could do is give the guy until close of business to give you an update ,the majority of people will have checked their mail throughout the day unless they were away

i have been guilty of letting people down with holds before as i really only buy when ive sold something ,the problem was that i was let down on my side with one of my sales but ive always endevoured to let the person know

Social source share

What's the general etiquette around this?

I'm happy to hold stuff for a reasonable amount of time (up to 3 weeks for more expensive things*, less for cheaper stuff) but how about shorter term holds where you're asked for something, you reply within 5 minutes with all the details needed to fulfill the deal and two days later still no reply or acknowledgement of the reply? In between, someone else comes in and asks for the same thing leaving me hanging on for the first guy's reply. Do I honour the reply I gave to the first guy or draw a line under it and offer it to the second guy? I guess people have life focuses other than records but you'd expect that if you've asked for a record, chances are you'll get a reply so it's up to you to check. Unless your internet's dead, I guess. 

Don't want to p-off the guy after saying it's on hold for him but equally can't really afford to maybe lose out.  :g:

*that said I'm into week 5 of holding something that has a deposit on it

Hi Jason, in case it is the Richard Stoute 45 you are holding, I know someone who is seriously interested in buying this straight off you ;) 

Social source share

what you could do is give the guy until close of business to give you an update ,the majority of people will have checked their mail throughout the day unless they were away

i have been guilty of letting people down with holds before as i really only buy when ive sold something ,the problem was that i was let down on my side with one of my sales but ive always endevoured to let the person know

But with respect, and I know you're a straight up guy, that's not really the way to do business, depending on a sale of your own to be able to buy a record off someone else - if someone hasn't got the money, they shouldn't be reserving the record.

And then you've got the few sad individuals who buy a record off you because it's on someone's wants list and they can make a profit - until that other person says they no longer want it, so they make up some pathetic excuse and send it back for a refund.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

But with respect, and I know you're a straight up guy, that's not really the way to do business, depending on a sale of your own to be able to buy a record off someone else - if someone hasn't got the money, they shouldn't be reserving the record.

And then you've got the few sad individuals who buy a record off you because it's on someone's wants list and they can make a profit - until that other person says they no longer want it, so they make up some pathetic excuse and send it back for a refund.

That happens all the time Pete.

Social source share

My reply to his PM is still unread so I'm assuming the email is too. So I'm torn between giving him more time (but that's an unknown quantity as he may be one of those 'check emails at random' types - as opposed to being a 'hardwired into a computer 10 hours a day' type) or telling the other guy he can have it. Kind of feel bad doing the latter as it's like punishing him for something that may not be his fault. Tricky. 

Social source share

My reply to his PM is still unread so I'm assuming the email is too. So I'm torn between giving him more time (but that's an unknown quantity as he may be one of those 'check emails at random' types - as opposed to being a 'hardwired into a computer 10 hours a day' type) or telling the other guy he can have it. Kind of feel bad doing the latter as it's like punishing him for something that may not be his fault. Tricky. 

Sorry but he had his chance 2 days ago, he's shown no loyalty to you, so why should you show it for him - sell it to the other guy.

He can't want it very badly if he hasn't been in touch for 2 days.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i know pete - but out of selfishness  its hard when there is a record for sale that you been after for an age crops up and you have the promise of money on the same day

in relation to trying to flip records -its sad really and these people are into records for all the wrong reasons ,id get a better buzz out  of emailing the person saying there you go  !!

Social source share

No more time Jason - move on - record selling is not a charity - If you have another party ready and willing sell to them .  A shop would not hold an item for you in this day and age so why should record dealers be expected to hang around . Generally you have a feeling when things ain't right ... I 'm sure you have answered your own query already . :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry but he had his chance 2 days ago, he's shown no loyalty to you, so why should you show it for him - sell it to the other guy.

He can't want it very badly if he hasn't been in touch for 2 days.

Agree fully with Pete here.  24-48 hours and if no reply move on to next person.   Only exception with longer time frame maybe if he has been a good customer to you before.    I had to do this with one of my sales a year ago or so. Felt bad doing it but first person that never got back understood fully that I had to move it on.      

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Agree fully with Pete here.  24-48 hours and if no reply move on to next person.   Only exception with longer time frame maybe if he has been a good customer to you before.    I had to do this with one of my sales a year ago or so. Felt bad doing it but first person that never got back understood fully that I had to move it on.      

I also think in most cases the buyer would understand. Even if they have a genuine reason for not getting back on, I'm sure they'll understand that if you have had another offer and that person has paid up, then you really had little choice but to go ahead with the sure sale.

Social source share

Personally its totally dependent on the relationship you have with the buyer.

If you don't know them or haven't dealt before I'd recommend email with a deadline, then resell.

If you do know them or have dealt before then its a trust issue. If you trust them to pay and can hold - I would, if you can't do the same as above.  Of course the trust only has the one chance and if broken, then its proforma going forward.

Social source share

i know pete - but out of selfishness  its hard when there is a record for sale that you been after for an age crops up and you have the promise of money on the same day

in relation to trying to flip records -its sad really and these people are into records for all the wrong reasons ,id get a better buzz out  of emailing the person saying there you go  !!

That's something I do on a regular basis. I am just too nice me.  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!