1980's Northern Low Point

Rock City was in Nottingham. It wasnt a bad venue ,compared to some, big place,just really dark and scummy. You had to rip your feet off the carpet to walk !! Oh and the mass brawl outside when we were waiting to go in didnt help. Just felt uneasy all night.Dont think there were that many nighters there.

Social source share

Wow, never a dull moment at Rock City by the sounds of things. Perhaps the name has something to do with the violence?

Seriously though there were other places in Nottingham that Gary told me about. He was from Mansfield (Forrest Town). Be buggered if I can remember the names though.

Social source share

Not sure there were that many do's there.  Think Max Rees unsurprisingly had a hand in them, did you ever go?

link

Oh yes and the wirrina nighters

Social source share

Wirrina? :thumbsup:   Stone me! There were more bloody venues then than there are now. LOL

Eighties low point me arse :lol:

link

Could easy add another 10! :ohmy:

Social source share

Ken the Romeo and Juliet (Sheffield) events that i went to were all dayers on a few Sundays circa 82/83, always remember the "Northern" side (the club had 2 rooms) with guys like Arthur Fenn & Rich Searling playing mainly "Newies" ( back then i was mainly a 60's fan...but with Clifton etc...i was beginning to learn) while the other half of the club (Bigger room) was rammed with all those Jazz Funk people, while the "Northern" postage stamp room was poorly attended (at least when i went).

Brett

Social source share

With no shortage of venues, most reasonably well attended. Why would the popularity be down?  lots of mods crossing over NS popularity was on the up.

Where was Droylesden btw?

link

popular, as in liked by many. Never mentioned attendance. Most of the 'nighters i attended were busy, but usually by the same faces you saw last week. Where was Droylesden?.. I used to say the same every time we went! Was notorious for car break ins. Came out one morning and nearly everyones car had been stoved :angry:

Social source share

popular, as in liked by many. Never mentioned attendance. Most of the 'nighters i attended were busy, but usually by the same faces you saw last week. Where was Droylesden?.. I used to say the same every time we went! Was notorious for car break ins. Came out one morning and nearly everyones car had been stoved :angry:

link

Some of these northern gaffs seem bloody charming. Was all the violence a eighties thing or a north thing I wonder. Saying that as I don't remember such ag in the prim South so much. At northern do's that is.

Sure there was trouble everywhere I guess not just on our scene. But from the venues I mentioned on page one, I don't remember any bovver at any of them.

I was reading the other week where someone said about running from the train station to Wigan to avoid getting chinned.

Leicester and Loughborough were the only places we felt threatened and that was really just because of our accents, would want to make the locals give us a good kicking. never happened though thank god. Glad we don't have so much of that bullshit these days eh?

Social source share

Some of these northern gaffs seem bloody charming.  Was all the violence a eighties thing or a north thing I wonder.  Saying that as I don't remember such ag in the prim South so much.  At northern do's that is. 

Sure there was trouble everywhere I guess not just on our scene.  But from the venues I mentioned on page one, I don't remember any bovver at any of them.

I was reading the other week where someone said about running from the train station to Wigan to avoid getting chinned.

Leicester and Loughborough were the only places we felt threatened and that was really just because of our accents, would want to make the locals give us a good kicking.  never happened though thank god.  Glad we don't have so much of that bullshit these days eh?

link

Too true! First time we went Stafford we got trouble. Mind you, we were green as grass and walked straight into the nightclub intstead of going upstairs for the first half hour. A lad tapped me on the shoulder and asked where we were from. Told him Northampton and he said "thats near enough. Me and my boys wanna know!"

So yeah, kinda guess it was an 80's football thing that meant if you were in a group trouble wasn't far away.

Social source share

Empress ball room(mexborough)

Bubbles(leicester)

Drill hall(lincoln)

Assembly rooms(Derby)

Your right,harder than what i thought!,but Ian can i include soul nights cause there would be loads more....... ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Empress ball room(mexborough)

Bubbles(leicester)

Drill hall(lincoln)

Assembly rooms(Derby)

Your right,harder than what i thought!,but Ian can i include soul nights cause there would be loads more....... ranting_1.gif

link

Go right ahead. Venue's is the name of the game old son. Goings on and such :yes:

Bubbles(leicester) - ? They have to be real though :huh:

Social source share

Bubbles(leicester) - ?  They have to be real though :huh:

link

Is for real!!Steve Croft,did about 3 allnighters there....

Soul nights here we go!(Barnsley)port cullis;londener;tracky club;redbrook hotel.(rotherham)windmill;assembly rooms;canklow w m club,i have got too give this up now!getin`my 7ts & 8ts all mixed up now!!!!..... ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Been a lot of talk about the 80's being a low point on the northern scene and last week a comment of "during the eighties when the scene was on it's knees" was posted and I thought that was a bit OTT.

I got into Northern 1982/83 and there seemed to be a fair choice of venues that were reasonably well attended.  During the early/mid and late eighties we went to, 100 Club, Leighton Buzzard, St Ives, Peterborough, Loughborough, Leicester and  Stafford amongst others.

I appreciate although the eighties were by no means a high point  of the scene's history compared with the seventies heyday or the early ninetees resurgence. However all the talk that northern soul all but died out during the eighties, is I think an inaccurate overstatement and is unfair on the promoters of the venues of that time.

I'm sure there are other eighties venue's I have missed that we didn't go to. Not sure whether this 'eighties was dead' feeling is a general consensus, or were there folk that went out, danced and like me had a good time back then?

link

Now I know some of you think that the many of us that dropped out of the scene in the late 70s and have returned are nothing worse than traitors but the 80s was the time many of us were doing the family thing and perhaps did not have the time or the cash to travel and go out the same as we did when we were "young, foolish and happy".

Now either we are single again and/or sprogs have grown up we have more time and perhaps more cash to get out and about.

QOF

XX

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Now I know some of you think that the many of us that dropped out of the scene in the late 70s and have returned are nothing worse than traitors but the 80s was the time many of us were doing the family thing and perhaps did not have the time or the cash to travel and go out the same as we did when we were "young, foolish and happy".

Now either we are single again and/or sprogs have grown up we have more time and perhaps more cash to get out and about.

QOF

XX

link

Can't be considered a traitor for raising a family. Just good to be on the scene when you are able. Monies and family permitting.

PS. I am just about over my cold now, you'll be pleased to hear ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Glad to hear that but did you sneeze at the computer as I seem to be developing a cold  now.  Can you transfer germs via SS?

QOF

XX

link

Ah mate, it ain't any kinda fun. :huh:

Is for real!!Steve Croft,did about 3 allnighters there....

And Michael Jackson, what did he say? :yes:

Soul nights here we go!(Barnsley)port cullis;londener;tracky club;redbrook hotel.(rotherham)windmill;assembly rooms;canklow w m club,i have got too give this up now!getin`my 7ts & 8ts all mixed up now!!!!..... :lol:

link

Keep it 8t's - think man, think. ranting_1.gif

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

QOF

XX

link

Cant comment,never done the family thing,and could ponse my way anywhere & everywhere in them days,allways got home with some money in me pocket!or a record,but it was so easy to jump trains then,not so easy now!fukc the young;etc,just be foolish and happy anytime or age!,they used take bets coming back from Wigan,whether i would charm me way on the bus home from Manchester,but i allways got on,even if i held up the bus for a few mins.... ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Peterborough really was a top spot in the 80's I think. Fleet Centre Fletton. Dave Evison, Danny Everard (amongst others) behind the decks. Rob smith selling pressings for £1.50 worn! Lots of hand clapping. Fantastic atmos and apart from beloved 100 Club, can't think of too many better places to cut one's soul teeth. ranting_1.gif

NB, Ken, 1st one to 800 posts gets to log off and go to bed! :huh:

Social source share

I`m going down down for the first time!!! ranting_1.gif

link

And Bubbles? A club in Leicester you say. Allnighters? Was this same time as Oddfellows?

Rumour had it Jackson had a stand in Chimp known as 'double bubble'! Serious :huh:

Social source share

Danny Everard 

Have you or did you and danny have some going,not the nicest person on the scene you know,him being nice was a front for something else!,antique dealer now says it all rearly!!!

NB, Ken, 1st one to 800 posts gets to log off and go to bed! ranting_1.gif

link

Fukc me!!nowt better to do?...... :huh:

Social source share

And Bubbles?  A club in Leicester you say.  Allnighters?  Was this same time as Oddfellows?

I know the diffrance between Oddfellas & Bubbles,Oddfellas everybody remembers and Bubbles everybodys forgot,after all i did attend both!

link

Social source share

Fukc me!!nowt better to do?...... :lol:

link

Nah, Mrs is watching Eastenders on tape. Can't bear it, they talk out of the side of their mouths you know.

Did you write that about Danny E? Thouht he was a good DJ. Never tried to buy a watch from him though. When he opened his box it had 'Danny 6t's' on the inside. Just some great tunes he used to spin at Peterboro' & Buzzard. "Nineteen sixty nine on the plexium label". (Shouting) "SOUL JOE CLEMENTS". ranting_1.gif I'd give the cat's right nad to go back there :huh:

00.19 - 800. Got to lay my burden down :yes:

Social source share

Nah, Mrs is watching Eastenders on tape.  Can't bear it, they talk out of the side of their mouths you know.

Did you write that about Danny E?  Thouht he was a good DJ. Never tried to buy a watch from him though. When he opened his box it had 'Danny 6t's' on the inside.  Just some great tunes he used to spin at Peterboro' & Buzzard.  "Nineteen sixty nine on the plexium label". (Shouting) "SOUL JOE CLEMENTS". ranting_1.gif I'd give the cat's right nad to go back there :yes:

00.19 - 800.  Got to lay my burden down :huh:

link

Dont go religious on me now Mr Sims,but can tell you a few storys but deffo not on line!.......anyway he was never that good,was he?at DJing that is!........

Social source share

Dont go religious on me now Mr Sims,but can tell you a few storys but deffo not on line!.......anyway he was never that good,was he?at DJing that is!........

link

I Liked him. Fact that he was all sixties gave him a massive vote of confidence IMO.

Social source share

To me, the 80s was the best time, it was never boring. I find nowadays sometimes you can go somewhere and listen to the same what you listened to the week before, maybe as Im getting older I either get bored easily sleep3.gif or I want more variety!!

Social source share

To me, the 80s was the best time, it was never boring.  I find nowadays sometimes you can go somewhere and listen to the same what you listened to the week before, maybe as Im getting older I either get bored easily  sleep3.gif   or I want more variety!!

link

This is the thing. Although there are still new sounds being broken today, it's nowhere near the same rate as the eighties, obviously. Back then everything was fresh for me, Freddie Chavez, George Pep, Tempests. Cairos was massive.

Agree with you Karen, 80's was a golden time alright. :huh:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

This is the thing.  Although there are still new sounds being broken today, it's nowhere near the same rate as the eighties, obviously.  Back then everything was fresh for me, Freddie Chavez, George Pep, Tempests.  Cairos was massive.

Agree with you Karen, 80's was a golden time alright. sleep3.gif

link

People don't seem to be that interested on the whole, play something new or underplayed (safer description!) and the same few people show some interest, play three in a row and someone else asks for Frank Dell. No wonder so many people are bored and have jacked it in. Still, thank god there are a still some people who are interested in the music first, not a gramme (or however much it takes) of gear up their nose and a dance to the same records they got sweaty to the week before.

Social source share

People don't seem to be that interested on the whole, play something new or underplayed (safer description!) and the same few people show some interest, play three in a row and someone else asks for Frank Dell.  No wonder so many people are bored and have jacked it in.  Still, thank god there are a still some people who are interested in the music first, not a gramme (or however much it takes) of gear up their nose and a dance to the same records they got sweaty to the week before.

link

They scare the sh*t out of me! .Mind you, who looks the bigger fool? me, standin' there, bored to tears; or them, enjoyin' themselves and going for it?!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

They scare the sh*t out of me! .Mind you, who looks the bigger fool? me, standin' there, bored to tears; or them, enjoyin' themselves and going for it?!

link

I know what you mean, I get bored and drink too much. :yes:

Kettle/Pot/name calling sleep3.gif

I do worry that fairly soon a few people are going to keel over dead from speeding off their tits when an 18 year old might be able to take it, and then there are the geared up paranoids who are otherwise perfectly alright people. And they have the nerve to complain about beer on the dancefloor. :huh:

Social source share

People don't seem to be that interested on the whole, play something new or underplayed (safer description!) and the same few people show some interest, play three in a row and someone else asks for Frank Dell.  No wonder so many people are bored and have jacked it in.  Still, thank god there are a still some people who are interested in the music first, not a gramme (or however much it takes) of gear up their nose and a dance to the same records they got sweaty to the week before.

link

Down me kneck!!and not up me nose!and as for your type-casting,its like saying all drinkers are twats,or all dope smokers are teenagers,all smack heads are rich!,all police are good,get real stuart!as one who was damaged by someone elses drinking,still got scars on the outside,but the bigests ones are on the inside,as for putting the music first,nothing wrong with F Dell!dont think this was overplayed anywhere,classic really,and as for the others underplayed etc;bring it on!!!. sleep3.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Down me kneck!!and not up me nose!and as for your type-casting,its like saying all drinkers are twats,or all dope smokers are teenagers,all smack heads are rich!,all police are good,get real stuart!as one who was damaged by someone elses drinking,still got scars on the outside,but the bigests ones are on the inside,as for putting the music first,nothing wrong with F Dell!dont think this was overplayed anywhere,classic really,and as for the others underplayed etc;bring it on!!!. sleep3.gif

link

You should see the lighter tone of my second post Kenny!

Frank Dell is far from the worst example, wind up on someone I know for mentioning that one.

Social source share

You should see the lighter tone of my second post Kenny! 

Frank Dell is far from the worst example, wind up on someone I know for mentioning that one.

link

Sorry Stuart!back to my unserious self then, sleep3.gif

Social source share

link

There are different ways of looking at this. One is you just sit there listening to unknown after unknown, sipping/gulping at your Stella/Bitter. Thinking to yourself these are refreshing new tunes I'm hearing. Or alternatively doing the same, but thinking I wish he/she would play and oldie or semi known, so I could have a dance or at the least tap me toe.

On balance I think the latter is best. A long succession of unknowns is poor dj'ing imo. Keeping the people happy and the dancers dancin should be all important.

I remember hearing, think it was Mick Smith play Cleveland Robinson Jr for the first time - Love is a trap. Was a newie to me then, but was instant - wow wtf is this! Type reaction. Same with Jimmy Bo Horne - instant. Finite balance for the dj in how good the 'newie' is and how well is will be received.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There are different ways of looking at this.  One is you just sit there listening to unknown after unknown, sipping/gulping at your Stella/Bitter.  Thinking to yourself these are refreshing new tunes I'm hearing.  Or alternatively doing the same, but thinking I wish he/she would play and oldie or semi known, so I could have a dance or at the least tap me toe.

On balance I think the latter is best.  A long succession of unknowns is poor dj'ing imo.  Keeping the people happy and the dancers dancin should be all important.

link

Agree with that, but it seems to be the case that even if playing what you consider to be fairly well known records you are game for getting slagged off by someone who doesn't know them. Got to keep an eye on the dancefloor, was an early lesson to me, but I would like the occasional alternative of a nice bar with no dancefloor where chinscratchers could sit and listen to new records until they fall off their bar stools. Anyone complains that they want to hear some oldies gets their shirt buttons pulled off.

In fact, I know of a suitable venue behind Waterloo. And they serve both Stella and bitter, and the decks are actually behind the bar. Hmmmm.....

Social source share

Agree with that, but it seems to be the case that even if playing what you consider to be fairly well known records you are game for getting slagged off by someone who doesn't know them.  Got to keep an eye on the dancefloor, was an early lesson to me, but I would like the occasional alternative of a nice bar with no dancefloor where chinscratchers could sit and listen to new records until they fall off their bar stools.  Anyone complains that they want to hear some oldies gets their shirt buttons pulled off.

In fact, I know of a suitable venue behind Waterloo.  And they serve both Stella and bitter, and the decks are actually behind the bar.  Hmmmm.....

link

Anyone who moans at the mention of a newie or semi known is a fool to themselves. A DJ can't be expected to legislate for that level of narrow mindedness. Both the DJ's and the punters have to take the rough with the smooth. Bit of a Gael Clich, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Waterloo sounds great. Let's have a do there - Soul Source Allnighter? Decks behind the bar you say, maybe we could have those Budweiser hats with the tubes etc? sleep3.gif Getting a bit carried away with this fantasy now, er hem. :huh:

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Anyone who moans at the mention of a newie or semi known is a fool to themselves.  A DJ can't be expected to legislate for that level of narrow mindedness.  Both the DJ's and the punters have to take the rough with the smooth. Bit of a Gael Clich, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Waterloo sounds great.  Let's have a do there - Soul Source Allnighter? Decks behind the bar you say, maybe we could have those Budweiser hats with the tubes etc?  sleep3.gif Getting a bit carried away with this fantasy now, er hem. :huh:

link

We just lock ourselves in so we don't have to share the beer with any of these other buggers, pipe the music to the downstairs bar. One deck each. Take it in turns to top up our glasses. I like the sound of this.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

First time I heard this I instantly wanted to kill Jimmy Bo Horne  :angry:

link

Were they playing the record backwards or something?

Social source share

We just lock ourselves in so we don't have to share the beer with any of these other buggers, pipe the music to the downstairs bar.  One deck each.  Take it in turns to top up our glasses.  I like the sound of this.

link

I'm liking the sound that Stu - soul heaven :thumbsup:

Were they playing the record backwards or something?

link

Maybe he means - If You Want My Love ?

Doubt it :(

Social source share

Anybody mentioned

Shotts "allenton Miners welfare"

Mansfield Swan all-nighters

chesterfield "Winding wheel"

TAC Yarmoth weekenders

Trotters soul nights mansfield

tudor barn Warsop

the brilliant early southport weekenders (Morecmbe ,flletwood and barrow to start)

peterborough "Fleet" was every fornight

and

thorne canal tavern

dunstable

on and on

we were out every weekend !

PS

Saw Frankie Beverly and Maze at Rock City great venue !

Edited by consdad
Social source share

Anyone who moans at the mention of a newie or semi known is a fool to themselves.  A DJ can't be expected to legislate for that level of narrow mindedness.  Both the DJ's and the punters have to take the rough with the smooth. Bit of a Gael Clich, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

link

A mate of mine, who collects rather than d.j's, was asked to do a spot at a local night. stood there with a couple of old friends and (unknown to them) his Wife. These lads slated him throughout his spot for playing "obscure crap". Could've died! Soon as he'd finished tried and testeds got played and they were up for the rest of the night. What i don't get is why they decided to stop listening to stuff they didn't know. Seems wierd to me

Social source share

A mate of mine, who collects rather than d.j's, was asked to do a spot at a local night. stood there with a couple of old friends and (unknown to them) his Wife. These lads slated him throughout his spot for playing "obscure crap". Could've died! Soon as he'd finished tried and testeds got played and they were up for the rest of the night. What i don't get is why they decided to stop listening to stuff they didn't know. Seems wierd to me

link

Surely the tried & testeds were newies at one point to these blinkered yahoos - you would think?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

. What i don't get is why they decided to stop listening to stuff they didn't know. Seems wierd to me

link

Possibly something to do with old age? Or maybe they were always very boring and once they had decided that they had heard everything that was relevant they felt able to ignore every other record that they ever heard? It is wierd though isn't it?

Social source share

Anybody mentioned

Shotts "allenton Miners welfare"

Mansfield Swan all-nighters

chesterfield "Winding wheel"

TAC Yarmoth weekenders

Trotters soul nights mansfield

tudor barn Warsop

the brilliant early southport weekenders (Morecmbe ,flletwood and barrow to start)

peterborough "Fleet" was every fornight

and

thorne canal tavern

dunstable

on and on we were out every weekend !

PS Saw Frankie Beverly and Maze at Rock City great venue !

link

Swan allnighters, were one of the Nottingham venues yeah? My Mate Gary Churm is always going on about the venues in Nottingham.

Fleet was great this was Fletton, Peterborough. :thumbsup:

Tabitha said Rock City was a dive and threatening. Seems you had a good time there though. Just Frankie B? Or everytime a good time?

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I always felt like i fell between two stools in that i went to Wigan in the dying years 79-81 and then on to Stafford, Leicester, Hinckley, Morcambe, 100 club etc.. in the 80s. The scene in only a year between Wigan closing and stafford getting up and running felt very different straight away (memories are hazy) and it felt like travelling in time. Music was much more important and less people were dancing and just sitting listening to records or talking about them. I remember plenty of soul nights back then in very small venues where dancing was almost positively discouraged and you were there to talk records. Glad that's changed.

One of the bad things about the 80s was a real sense that if you didn't know much you were an idiot. There was a real musical snobbery that was pretty nasty and i remember a few people famous on the scene for remorselessly taking the piss out of newcomers or people who didn't have a vast knowledge. That has definately changed, or maybe we've all just grown up a bit.

It was definately a new era, at least it felt like it at the time, and in my opinion it changed the scene for the better.

Anyone remember Benson's nightclub? Where was that again? :thumbsup:

Matt

Social source share

Don't remeber Bensons Matt was it oop north?

Do remember some of the attitude you speak of in the eighties though. Remeber my mate asking a dealer for 'ain't a bit sorry' by (who he thought at the time was) Ben E King. Dealer simply said "it's not by Ben E King". Mate had to ask "Who's it by" One word answer came back, "Dedications". Further down the hall he picked up a copy of said disc and on his way back past 'happy chappy' dealer, he proclaimed "I got that dedications track" waving it in his hand. The dealer barely registered a response.

Although I still witness some surleyness from some record dealers on the whole I don't think they are as bad now as in the eighties.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!