New Style Manship Site

Guest Andy Kempster

I think the work that's gone into this is phenomonal, I buy the majority of my vinyl in the U.S. , so I don't consequently buy much off the website, but do understand that it's taking the P*ss to expect this sort of resource for nothing. As a ballpark figure, what do you expect the Monthly fee to be.

Des Parker

Admittedly alot of people no doubt use the soundclips purely for reference & perhaps for this a subscription is understandable but what about those that buy on a regular basis (& I'm not saying that i do) & are now going to be charged £60 a year (if it is, as mentioned a fiver a month) for any "extras". Perhaps I'm being naive or stupid in expecting something extra on the site than just a straight business arrangement?

Lets hope Mike doesn't have the same idea for Soul Source :D

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think the work that's gone into this is phenomonal, I buy the majority of my vinyl in the U.S. , so I don't consequently buy much off the website, but do understand that it's taking the P*ss to expect this sort of resource for nothing. As a ballpark figure, what do you expect the Monthly fee to be.

Des Parker

But the man is selling records for a living so therefore it makes sense that he advertises what he's got by making sound clips available for people to listen to - and of course it should be 100% free because he's trying to sell you these things so why should the customer have to pay for it?

On the other hand, if you use the site to check prices, labels, catalogue numbers, price comparisons etc, then I do think it's acceptable to charge something for this, but it should be just that - a subscribeable resource facility. Though I also understand Dave's point.

Social source share

Fully agree, if it's a straightforward sales site, you'd want as many people as possible to freely access it, but I was under the impression that there's another part to John's site that is only accessable by subscription, now whether that's going to be "worth" £60 a Year is another matter, we shall see, but I'm prepared to give it a go, it might stop me bidding £500 for "Shirley Lawson" - only joking.

Des Parker

Social source share

It seems that you can only search for "artist" or "title" on the new site. On the old site you could search for both "artist" and "title" so you could go directly to that one record that you wanted to find. It can be a pain in the ass having to scroll through 10 pages just to find one specific title by The Dells.

That is one feature that new one misses IMO.

Apart from that, I need time to use the new one before I can really say if it is better than the old one. I have used old site for years and gotten so used to it that right now I would pick the old one over the new one.

Social source share

Lets be clear about what we are intending to do.

Anything that is in stock is accessible FREE at all times not a problem, scans soundbites etc. etc. and it has been that way for 10 years, out of stock items have never been fully accessible ever. So nothing has changed or will change.

For 10 years we've been busy building important data not just on SOUL but data on all forms of collectable vinyl. This data is HUGE! 250,000 different items, that's what the nominal subscription fee will be for to access that for 30 days. You don't have to renew your subs, but if you need some info, then you can access an informative database. It's there to use if you need to.

To outline just some of the database, it will include:

1. A difinitive visual and detailed matrix reference for SOUL reissues, counterfeits etc.

2. A full reference to all UK vinyl collectables Soul, Rock, Pop, etc etc

3. You will have access to every auction result with scans and write-up, since the auctions began.

4. LPs & CD's with full track listings.

5. You will have access to all soundfiles and scans whether in stock or not. Tha\t is around 200,000 more items.

Our aim is 1,000,000 references.

We get on the site between 10 million and 13 million hits per month, a huge percentage of that is seeking info, that is what has prompted us to open up all our data. At the moment you can only retrieve info on IN STOCK items which is about 1/5th of the database 56,360 items at the last count. We will be offering 250,000 items to launch it and it will be added to by the hour.

Without hesitation, I know if I could reference data at the flick of a mouse, I'd do it. Knowledge is everything whilst dealing with vinyl, and that is what will be on offer.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

As I keep saying, the potential for this is ground breaking , do you envisage it superceding the price guides, with all that information available on line, with the bonus of you being able to make adjustments at the click of a button.

I'll certainly be willing to sign up

Des Parker

Social source share

It seems that you can only search for "artist" or "title" on the new site. On the old site you could search for both "artist" and "title" so you could go directly to that one record that you wanted to find. It can be a pain in the ass having to scroll through 10 pages just to find one specific title by The Dells.

That is one feature that new one misses IMO.

Apart from that, I need time to use the new one before I can really say if it is better than the old one. I have used old site for years and gotten so used to it that right now I would pick the old one over the new one.

Good points, We shall be discussing "improvements" ie The option "List only" viewing or viewing with SCANS, title search, etc etc on Monday.

I personally love the new search because you have the choice on the search once it pops up,

"see everything by this artist" but also see "everything on this label". Which we think is so helpful, if you do a Major Lance search you then get the option to view every OKEH 45 or DAKAR 45. etc etc.

We certainly don 't want to "lose" anything of the facilties we had on the last site, so I'm sure "title" search can be put back in place and is only missing though an oversite rather than by design.

Our intended "INFO RESOURCE" venture will be a search ARTIST - TITLE feature, and will show every match for that ARTIST and that TITLE no matter how many. So I understand the importance of that quick straight to the point search. But we are retailers, and getting customer to view parts of the site they otherwise wouldn't is a major factor in increasing sales and awareness of your products.

Early days, I think in a week it'll all be perfect. Just up to us now to get scans up on there and make the visual thing so much more of an impact. We is our intension

John

Social source share

As I keep saying, the potential for this is ground breaking , do you envisage it superceding the price guides, with all that information available on line, with the bonus of you being able to make adjustments at the click of a button.

I'll certainly be willing to sign up

Des Parker

Des,

We wouldn't do it unless we though it was gonna be useful and more than worth the subscription. As for Price Guides, PG5 is an essential tool for collectors and dealers, but we have no plans for a PG6 in the foreseeable future.

John

Social source share

i doubt this is what he was referring to but there is the 80s motown lookalike repress with the barstool cover, but it has the thing on the back saying 'originally pressed ...'

as an aside, i still find it infinitely funny that there is a record consistently referred to by collectors as the 'supremes stool cover'

there are two covers ,were they printed in two different plants ? cus 1 has a song missing off the bside :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2009 at 13:17, andyk123 said:

looks really good check it out

What was wrong with the old site? It was clear and easy to use. g.gif

The new old newspaper page, looks messy and dull, bring back the old format! smile.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert