6ts Weekender @ Cleethorpes

Easing gently back into the working week and wondered which were the high spots for anyone who was there this year?

I enjoyed every minute so much, it's hard to narrow down but my own personal top three "best bits" were:

1. THE ACTS - Great performances from The New Belles and Jimmy Thomas. Shirley Matthews looks STUNNING, Marva Whitney was on top form and Jim Gilstrap did a sterling job to complete the line up. It was nice to see Dave Rivers face light up at Jimmy performing 'Beautiful Night' as I know it's one of his all time fave tracks.

2. THE TUNES - So much great music played, all DJs deserve congrats on so much quality during all sessions. Soul Sam finished me off at @ 06:30 Sunday morning, dragging me back to the floor one last time with Eddie Whitehead - perfect way to end before drifting back to the van.

3. THE RECORD BAR - Too much to even contemplate going through every box but loadsa nice stuff for sale. Picked up a few bits and pieces - particularly pleased to get hold of a copy of The Festivals "Checkin Out" on Blue Rock.

Can't wait for next year.

Neil Jones

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Phil Richards

Easing gently back into the working week and wondered which were the high spots for anyone who was there this year?

I enjoyed every minute so much, it's hard to narrow down but my own personal top three "best bits" were:

1. THE ACTS - Great performances from The New Belles and Jimmy Thomas. Shirley Matthews looks STUNNING, Marva Whitney was on top form and Jim Gilstrap did a sterling job to complete the line up. It was nice to see Dave Rivers face light up at Jimmy performing 'Beautiful Night' as I know it's one of his all time fave tracks.

2. THE TUNES - So much great music played, all DJs deserve congrats on so much quality during all sessions. Soul Sam finished me off at @ 06:30 Sunday morning, dragging me back to the floor one last time with Eddie Whitehead - perfect way to end before drifting back to the van.

3. THE RECORD BAR - Too much to even contemplate going through every box but loadsa nice stuff for sale. Picked up a few bits and pieces - particularly pleased to get hold of a copy of The Festivals "Checkin Out" on Blue Rock.

Neil Jones

link

Yes was a very good weekend smile.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Another thread about Cleethorpes? smile.gif What's that four now :P

Don't pay me no mind, I'm just jealous cos I've never been :D

link

Ian

Its no problem.

Getting a train is just like getting a tube. Only there are trees outside the window. And toilets.

The tickets look just like tube passes too.

Social source share

Ian

Its no problem.

Getting a train is just like getting a tube. Only there are trees outside the window. And toilets.

link

So is burysoul the train ride and Chalky the tube? Or should that be Bob 'the bruiser' Messer the tube ride and s7oul the train? smile.gif

Social source share

Ian

Its no problem.

link

smile.gif:P:D

reminds me of a viz 'top tip' mike

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No they don't, I should know it's me job!  smile.gif

link

You what? Perhaps they have those funny 'uns down in deepst Surrey.

The ones I get are the little rectangular cards, just like my old monthly zone 1-4.

Social source share

You what? Perhaps they have those funny 'uns down in deepst Surrey.

The ones I get are the little rectangular cards, just like my old monthly zone 1-4.

link

Tube tickets are pink whereas train tickets are generally orange. If you still lived in London I would expect you to have one of those fancy new Oyster cards. smile.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Tube tickets are pink whereas train tickets are generally orange.  If you still lived in London I would expect you to have one of those fancy new Oyster cards. smile.gif

link

Still battling with my mobile phone. Technology has left me way behind.

Social source share

I had a whale of a time, top marks to the boys from the Greatstone who looked after me all the way and i even got a cooked salmon tea thanks to the generous and delightful Donna :P , actually one of the highpoints was just listening to all those fantastic records in that caravan over 3 nights played by Paul, Mark and Tony. Felt like going home and binning my collection, then starting again :yes: .

Enjoyed the company of Mr & Mrs Rimmer in the sales area for a good while, always enjoy my chats with Dave :D .

Another highpoint was Sunday night and a well known fellow from London (i'll spare him any more blushes) who was so drunk that he then climbed on a chair and then collapsed and took out around £74 worth of Alcohol with him..... unsure.gif

Enjoyed both rooms and managed to just about stay the distance before the ravages of time caught up with me. One of the best tracks was a Herman Hitson "Modern" thing played by Soul Sam or Arthur Fenn ?, tremendous stuff, even managed a lame attempt at dancing to it.

Brett

Social source share

Tube tickets are pink whereas train tickets are generally orange.  If you still lived in London I would expect you to have one of those fancy new Oyster cards. smile.gif

link

No i drive my motor :P

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Have to agree with neil and brett [theres a first] it really was a great weekend the acts were very good,musicaly like all weekenders catered more towards the soul club as opposed to the niter goer,but still very enjoyable and all the djs are to be applauded.Defo back next year many thanks to ady and co for a great event.

Social source share

everything....and the dancing.

this year was definitely the best I've ever seen, there were so many impressive fellas giving it socks. and it wasnt just the athletic foreign young lads. plenty of guys in their 40s doing flashy steps. boo to all of yous that say fancy stuff should go.

meeting brent and jamie was probably the real highlight of the weekend though :thumbsup: . would either of you be willing to accept a marriage proposal from me?

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

we all thought cleethorpes was brilliant , sunday eve was tops i m o , shame it had to end when it did ,thanks to ady for a fantastic weekender,roll on next year :thumbsup:

Social source share

this year was definitely the best I've ever seen, there were so many impressive fellas giving it socks. and it wasnt just the athletic foreign young lads. plenty of guys in their 40s doing flashy steps. boo to all of yous that say fancy stuff should go.

meeting brent and jamie was probably the real highlight of the weekend though :yes: . would either of you be willing to accept a marriage proposal from me?

link

Is this a refrance to me,it wasnt just the athletic!!!...

I`ll marry ya!!Wendy...

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Would that be the fat Brent who works in a paper suppliers in Slough or the skinny bloke with glasses from Sheffield?  :thumbsup:

link

The ever wonderful and extremely funny Wendy from Dublin, jesus that young woman had me giggling like a "Sissy" (believe that's what your term for me was :yes: ) when we had those crazy few hours at Paul Sadots caravan.

see you later "Pony Girl" :yes:

Brent

Social source share

Guest Jamie

meeting brent and jamie was probably the real highlight of the weekend though :yes: . would either of you be willing to accept a marriage proposal from me?

link

I think Brent & I would be willing to share you on alternative weekends :yes:

But I do think the fact of me dancing to the last track of the event on Monday morning with you on my shoulders is payment enough :yes::D

I also heard a rumour that Brent also demolished a table on Friday night - anyone validate this claim?? PLEASE!!

Although Ann Summers was the clear winner on Sunday by doing 2 tables - but he went off into the night 'Walking Like A Winner' after Nini presented him with a Gold medal :yes:

Priceless - The laughs and the people I met this weekend you simply cannot put a price on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Neil, did Jimmy Thomas do the flip side though "Above A Whisper"?? (one of my faves) - nobody else seems to remember if he did or not - that's taking notice of the artists isn't it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest lagerlout

I think Brent & I would be willing to share you on alternative weekends  :yes:

But I do think the fact of me dancing to the last track of the event on Monday morning with you on my shoulders is payment enough  :yes:   :yes:

I also heard a rumour that Brent also demolished a table on Friday night - anyone validate this claim?? PLEASE!!

Although Ann Summers was the clear winner on Sunday by doing 2 tables - but he went off into the night 'Walking Like A Winner' after Nini presented him with a Gold medal  :yes:

Priceless - The laughs and the people I met this weekend you simply cannot put a price on  :thumbsup:

link

i can confirm brent did take out a table friday night

with a spin. and even managed to be in the dance comp

even tho he did,nt actually know he was in it..

lager induced spinning is very dangerous

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

Just been raving about this track to John after seeing Mandy mention it - didn't you put this on a tape for me ages ago Eddie ?

Social source share

link

:yes: .....Like i said Pete....when i finally nail that spin....i'll go through the Earth like "Leaked Plutonium"......What Dance Competion :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest becky c

link

Good lord, how did I miss that beauty! :thumbsup:

Becky

Social source share

I'd just like to say a big thanks to Ady, Sylvia and everyone else involved in putting on another fantastic weekender.

Highlight for me was the look on (Seriously Soulful) Summers' face after demolishing two full tables of beer on Sunday night in what Sir Peter O' Sullevan would refer to as 'a crashing fall' (and after the bar had closed as well!) Priceless.

Social source share

Cleethorpes too me is the best weekender out,attendances was down a little this year but not supprising the amount of other weekenders thats now on so therefore its up to all us soulies that are dedicated to cleethorpes to push it along a little next year,ie help promote it by word of mouth,plugs at venues and handing a few flyers etc etc.you all know saying "keep on keepin on" well as a club /event that sometimes becomes financialy impossible,keep the faith spread the word ,and keep cleethorpes going for many more years,in saying that i enjoyed every minute even although i practically broke my ankle throwing myself about on the floor lol,hightlight for me was when jimmy thomas came off stage and just came up to me and started chatting away ,great guy

Social source share

Neil Jones

link

Sorry to correct , but Shirlie Mathews apeared alongside Marva Holiday with accompaniment by Jim Gilstrap

otherwise we thank you return next year to another stormer

Doug

Social source share

Highlight for me was the look on (Seriously Soulful) Summers' face after demolishing two full tables of beer on Sunday night in what Sir Peter O' Sullevan would refer to as 'a crashing fall' (and after the bar had closed as well!) Priceless.

link

thumbsup.gif:ohmy:

Agree with all, was a brilliant Cleethorpes. Cheers Ady and everyone else :ohmy::ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert