Betty Boo "say It Isn't So"

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Just been listening to some old stuff on the jukebox, and I forgot how good this is! :P

Been a long time since it was played, and i've forgotten the story behind it. Of course, it was a Richard S spin, but anyone know who she was etc?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been listening to some old stuff on the jukebox, and I forgot how good this is! :P

Been a long time since it was played, and i've forgotten the story behind it. Of course, it was a Richard S spin, but anyone know who she was etc?

link

----------

It was an unreleased Popcorn Wylie thing, one story was that she was one of the Adorables, another was that nobody knew her at all...

One of my big favourites at the time, I'd forgotten how big until I heard RS playing it on a Wigan live tape. Oh bliss....synchronised handclaps or what!

Hippo.

Social source share

If you cast your mind back 2 weeks to my BRILLIANT whats the best unreleased track ever thread, it was indeed Betty Boo which I nomiated in the first posting.

She was definitely one of the Adorables. Got played the same couple of weeks as Hanky Panky by Popcorn Wylie. They hit us with too many newies in too short a space of time.

Social source share

Personally I've never liked this and hated the Popcorn Wylie songs even more. "Rosemary What Happened" is worse than Footsee imo. But then again, I never went to Wigan and never experienced hearing them at the time and place.

Social source share

Personally I've never liked this and hated the Popcorn Wylie songs even more. "Rosemary What Happened" is worse than Footsee imo. But then again, I never went to Wigan and never experienced hearing them at the time and place.

link

I dunno if that makes a difference; I heard Rosemary before I went to Wigan but still loved it

Social source share

Popcorn Wylie definitely had a "sound" didn't he?

And Pete, you're right - too many newies all at once - especially at around that time with lots of unheard Mirwood stuff coming through too. A surplus of riches. But we were spoilt rotten weren't we?

Social source share

Oh yes...

boo2.jpg

link

:ohmy: i was at a after party for, we got soul last friday and this came on about 4 in the morning. I knew then it was time to leave thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

If you cast your mind back 2 weeks to my BRILLIANT whats the best unreleased track ever thread, it was indeed Betty Boo which I nomiated in the first posting.

She was definitely one of the Adorables.  Got played the same couple of weeks as Hanky Panky by Popcorn Wylie.  They hit us with too many newies in too short a space of time.

link

Pete,

Seem to remember the instrumental getting all the plays at first before the vocal took off (?)....always seemed to get played before or after 'Down in the Dumps'.

Social source share

She was definitely one of the Adorables.  Got played the same couple of weeks as Hanky Panky by Popcorn Wylie.  They hit us with too many newies in too short a space of time.

link

Read that Pete.

Got to agree, it's a great record I've always liked it.

have you listened to this on a system with a bit of power, there's a great "blowy" bass to it that seems to turn on and off, like a modern recording, how did they do that back then?

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

I seem to remember talking to Poke at CH and he said he had this and a few others well before Searling but didnt play them out much, anyone confirm? If so assume that means they must have been with Anderson in mid 70's no?

Superb record.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest martyn

I seem to remember talking to Poke at CH and he said he had this and a few others well before Searling but didnt play them out much, anyone confirm? If so assume that means they must have been with Anderson in mid 70's no?

Superb record.

Cheers

Jock

link

First time I heard it was St Ives in early 77 (Ginger ?).Didn't hear the vocal untill latter that year either at Wigan or The Wirrina.

I would guess that they would have been perhaps 'known' by Mr A long before then as he would have had to get the rights on them for his Grapevine LP before risking having them played............Thats how I would go about it anyway,but I'm a sneaky sod ohmy.gif

Social source share

First time I heard it was St Ives in early 77 (Ginger ?).Didn't hear the vocal untill latter that year either at Wigan or The Wirrina.

I would guess that  they would have been perhaps 'known' by Mr A long before then as he would have had to get the rights on them for his Grapevine LP before risking having them played............Thats how I would go about it anyway,but I'm a sneaky sod whistling.gif

link

I too remember this record from around 77, probably at the hands of john vincent or ginger - loved it then, still love it now. popcorn wylie was responsible for some of the scene's most mythical records, love 'em or hate 'em. I've always associated stanley mitchell with popcorn wylie, for me one the greatest records EVER. didn't he have a hand in larry clinton's she's wanted too? & what about sam ward???

maybe I'm way off the mark here, but for some reason, richard 'popcorn' wylie's name comes rearing up... oh', & who could forget 'cool off' - a MASSIVE record in it's day.

macca

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert