Four Dynamics - That's What Girls Are Made For / Things That A Lady Ain't Supposed To Do - Peachtree

John Reed

• Replies 22
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Things That A Lady is an absolutely incredible record. I can only dream of one day owning records as good as this.

Truly stunning.

Totally agree thumbsup.gif

I have to settle with having it on the Jap 'Mitty Collier & friends' LP thumbsup.gif

Oh and a Grapevine demo too whistling

Actually, Sam started his set at the Orwell in Bury the other week with it! He has a real 'un now as he used to play it from the Jap LP back in the day too!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Things That A Lady is an absolutely incredible record. I can only dream of one day owning records as good as this.

Truly stunning.

you could buy the record that it's an answer to though (cynthia and the imaginations). I always wondered how a georgia group did an answer record to an obscure detroit group.

Social source share

you could buy the record that it's an answer to though (cynthia and the imaginations). I always wondered how a georgia group did an answer record to an obscure detroit group.

I don't know the answer to your question Bob but I do know that Cynthia is a great 45 and can be picked up relatively cheaply too thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Well there you go: Phil's at the sharp end in having sold one recently so his valuation is probably spot-on.

So rare really that such prices seem justified whenever it does turn up.

Regarding the Cynthia & The Imaginations I don't know if it's strictly true to call the Peachtree 45 an 'answer record' as such. They certainly share the same rhythm track and melody. I find the Blue Rock 45 a bit plodding when compared to the Four Dynamics, which is the version I heard first. As to how it came to be appropriated by the Peachtree artists it might be reasonable to speculate that William Bell came across the track at a time when there was some degree of pollination between Stax and various Detroit production companies/arrangers etc.

I was once told in the mists of time that there was another use of the backing track on the Barbara Lynn Atlantic album, but that is not actually the case. The track mentioned (can't remember the title off the top of my head) is kinda similar but not actually the same.

For what it's worth the other Four Dynamics 45s on the label are all well worth picking up.

Social source share

I got a copy off ebay last year, but it was in bad shape. That's the copy that Sam now has. I had a EX+ copy when I sold up in January, this went to a private collector for £2.4k. It's one of 3 titles that I wish I'd kept hold of.

Phil.

Phil, you told me you couldn't stand the record!!

And here you are saying it is one of the 3 records you wished you'd kept.

I give up :)

Social source share

last time i saw 0ne of these was in henry atkinsons boxes about 4 years ago at £700 for a white demo and it was no where near mint either. he had eddie billups on peachtree at the same time. i had a right sweat on....... phew

dave

sunday chill out horse and groom 16th aug with dave & bri pinches, joe lakin ,mick wad, manky & koward + guests bob beasley & chris dalton

Social source share

Well there you go: Phil's at the sharp end in having sold one recently so his valuation is probably spot-on.

So rare really that such prices seem justified whenever it does turn up.

Regarding the Cynthia & The Imaginations I don't know if it's strictly true to call the Peachtree 45 an 'answer record' as such. They certainly share the same rhythm track and melody. I find the Blue Rock 45 a bit plodding when compared to the Four Dynamics, which is the version I heard first. As to how it came to be appropriated by the Peachtree artists it might be reasonable to speculate that William Bell came across the track at a time when there was some degree of pollination between Stax and various Detroit production companies/arrangers etc.

I was once told in the mists of time that there was another use of the backing track on the Barbara Lynn Atlantic album, but that is not actually the case. The track mentioned (can't remember the title off the top of my head) is kinda similar but not actually the same.

For what it's worth the other Four Dynamics 45s on the label are all well worth picking up.

I was actually calling it an answer record based more on the lyrics actually. What else makes an answer record besides the same rhythm track, melody, and lyrics that respond to the original ones? The imaginations record she's talking about things that a lady ain't supposed to do also in it.

Social source share

I was actually calling it an answer record based more on the lyrics actually. What else makes an answer record besides the same rhythm track, melody, and lyrics that respond to the original ones? The imaginations record she's talking about things that a lady ain't supposed to do also in it.

Hi Bob

I think we're talking at crossed purposes. I said it wasn't an answer record in the strictest sense because it's practically identical: more of a cover version than an answer record. Aside from changing the gender it's pretty much the same lyric throughout both records: if anything the Cynthia record is the answer to the Dynamics.

When I think of the classic 'answer' records they take a lyrical theme and turn it around, like "I'll Bring It On Home" answering "Bring It On Home To Me" or "Mama Didn't Lie" answering "That's What Mama Say", or "I'll Save The Last Dance For You" answering The Drifters classic etc.

Social source share

ITS SOME LOGO PEACHTREE \AND YES SOME TOP CROSS FERTILISATION OF PRODUCERS ETC- FUSING SOME OF THAT ATLANTA FUNKIER STUFF WITH A BIT STAX INFLUENCED STUFF OUR OWN PAUL MOONEY IS THE MAN FOR THIS IM SURE HE MASTERED ATLANTA SOUL !!!

BAZ A

MY FAV OUT OF ALL THE STUFF IS EMORY AND THE DYNAMICS -LOVE THATS REAL -ITS A REAL DEEP BURNER !!!

Social source share

Hi Bob

I think we're talking at crossed purposes. I said it wasn't an answer record in the strictest sense because it's practically identical: more of a cover version than an answer record. Aside from changing the gender it's pretty much the same lyric throughout both records: if anything the Cynthia record is the answer to the Dynamics.

When I think of the classic 'answer' records they take a lyrical theme and turn it around, like "I'll Bring It On Home" answering "Bring It On Home To Me" or "Mama Didn't Lie" answering "That's What Mama Say", or "I'll Save The Last Dance For You" answering The Drifters classic etc.

I can dig it. The record is very similar, it's neither identical enough to be a cover nor is it directly a response enough to be an "answer" either.

Social source share

I got a copy off ebay last year, but it was in bad shape. That's the copy that Sam now has. I had a EX+ copy when I sold up in January, this went to a private collector for £2.4k. It's one of 3 titles that I wish I'd kept hold of.

Phil.

Phil, you told me you couldn't stand the record!!

And here you are saying it is one of the 3 records you wished you'd kept.

I give up laugh.gif

I think you must have miss heard me there, or got me mixed up with somebody else Joan. Loved it since the first time I heard it played. wub.gif

Absolute class.....hence me buying it twice....rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

last time i saw 0ne of these was in henry atkinsons boxes about 4 years ago at £700 for a white demo and it was no where near mint either. he had eddie billups on peachtree at the same time. i had a right sweat on....... phew

dave

Hello Dave, Wasn't that a copy of Emory & the Dynamics - Let's Take A look at our life? I did see a demo of that in Henry's box around then.

Social source share

think you must have miss heard me there, or got me mixed up with somebody else Joan. Loved it since the first time I heard it played. :wub:

Absolute class.....hence me buying it twice....:rolleyes::laugh:

Not in the habit of mishearing people Phil. Especially not you :D

Are you saying I'm loud? :ohmy::innocent::laugh: ....King George? I did buy that, and I'm not keen on it, but only cos it was cheap like.

Social source share

dave

Hello Dave, Wasn't that a copy of Emory & the Dynamics - Let's Take A look at our life? I did see a demo of that in Henry's box around then.

it could well be phil.................................. i`d had plenty of beer as well

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert