Riley Smith Hall

Another great turnout,still can't get over buses full of soulies pulling up outside the doors..........just like the old days thumbup.gif

Spent most of my night upstairs in the underplayed/rare room where there was some cracking tunes played.The great thing about this room for me was the variety of music played,something for everyone.Another feature of the room was the way £5 sounds were played next one offs mega rarities & the way the sets were put together worked so well & was a pleasure to hear.

The main room was busy from very early on & the dancefloor seemed to be seeing plenty of action.I'll let others comment on how it went in here as I didn't spend too much time in there as I was having too much fun upstairs thumbsup.gif

So can't wait for the all-dayer on the 19th December,should be another (Christmas) cracker. .........sorry couldn't resist whistling.gif

My playlists,in no particular order............

The Main Room

Dottie & Millie-Talkin' About My Baby Topper

The Drifters-Baby What I Mean Atlantic

The Soul City-Everybody Dance Now Goodtime

The Wooden Nickels-Nobody But You Omen

Martha Reeves-No One There TMG

Chuck Jackson-Hand It Over Wand

Ketty Lester-Something's Things Are Better Left Unsaid RCA

Soul Brother Six-I'll Be Loving You Atlantic

Carla Thomas-I'll Never Stop Loving You Horace's

Bobby Sheen-Something New To Do WB

Nolan Porter-If I Could Only Be Sure ABC

Baby Washington-Leave Me Alone Sue

Barbara Lynn-I'm A Good Woman Tribe

Gloria Lynne-You Don't Have To Be A Tower Of Strength Everest

Underplayed/Rare Room

Roy Hamilton-You Shook Me Up RCA

Spencer Wiggins-Lonely Man Goldwax

Peggy Paxton-It Ain't What I Do Paula

Bobbie Smith-Walk On Into My Heart American Arts

P.J Smith-Hold On To It Shane

The Royal Premiers-I Can Make It If I Try M.B.S

The Paramount Four-You Don't Know Southern City

Robert Tenard-Gotta Get Goin' Fabolus

The Superiors-I'd Rather Die Sue

Hues Corporation-Goodfootin' Liberty

Willis Wooten-Your Love Is Indescribably Delicious Virtue

Margie Joseph-One More Chance Volt

Barbara Carr-My Mama Told Me Chess

The Invitations-Watch Out Little Girl MGM

Harvey Averne-Central Park Uptite

O.C Smith-On Easy Street Columbia

Philharmonics-I Need,I Need Your Love Soulin'

Louis Curry-You're Just Plain Nice Reel

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Replies 22
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Another great turnout,still can't get over buses full of soulies pulling up outside the doors..........just like the old days thumbup.gif

Spent most of my night upstairs in the underplayed/rare room where there was some cracking tunes played.The great thing about this room for me was the variety of music played,something for everyone.Another feature of the room was the way £5 sounds were played next one offs mega rarities & the way the sets were put together worked so well & was a pleasure to hear.

The main room was busy from very early on & the dancefloor seemed to be seeing plenty of action.I'll let others comment on how it went in here as I didn't spend too much time in there as I was having too much fun upstairs thumbsup.gif

So can't wait for the all-dayer on the 19th December,should be another (Christmas) cracker. .........sorry couldn't resist whistling.gif

My playlists,in no particular order............

The Main Room

Dottie & Millie-Talkin' About My Baby Topper

The Drifters-Baby What I Mean Atlantic

The Soul City-Everybody Dance Now Goodtime

The Wooden Nickels-Nobody But You Omen

Martha Reeves-No One There TMG

Chuck Jackson-Hand It Over Wand

Ketty Lester-Something's Things Are Better Left Unsaid RCA

Soul Brother Six-I'll Be Loving You Atlantic

Carla Thomas-I'll Never Stop Loving You Horace's

Bobby Sheen-Something New To Do WB

Nolan Porter-If I Could Only Be Sure ABC

Baby Washington-Leave Me Alone Sue

Barbara Lynn-I'm A Good Woman Tribe

Gloria Lynne-You Don't Have To Be A Tower Of Strength Everest

Underplayed/Rare Room

Roy Hamilton-You Shook Me Up RCA

Spencer Wiggins-Lonely Man Goldwax

Peggy Paxton-It Ain't What I Do Paula

Bobbie Smith-Walk On Into My Heart American Arts

P.J Smith-Hold On To It Shane

The Royal Premiers-I Can Make It If I Try M.B.S

The Paramount Four-You Don't Know Southern City

Robert Tenard-Gotta Get Goin' Fabolus

The Superiors-I'd Rather Die Sue

Hues Corporation-Goodfootin' Liberty

Willis Wooten-Your Love Is Indescribably Delicious Virtue

Margie Joseph-One More Chance Volt

Barbara Carr-My Mama Told Me Chess

The Invitations-Watch Out Little Girl MGM

Harvey Averne-Central Park Uptite

O.C Smith-On Easy Street Columbia

Philharmonics-I Need,I Need Your Love Soulin'

Louis Curry-You're Just Plain Nice Reel

Cheers

Martyn

After arriving in the Hall about 7.30,it wasn't long (8.15) before all the tables were taken. By that time the dancefloor was starting to fill,with a constant stream of folk piling into the Hall.Good spots all round,James Barnett,Casanova 2 sounded great in particular.With beer goggles firmly in place,had a wander round to the rare room and caught some of Col Wood's spot.

Quick hello's to Spot,Gail,Shirl,Steve and Lydia,Howard,Debs amongst others and it was time for us (Mak and me ) to leave.Watch out we will be back.biggrin.gif

Edited by KevH
Guest soulmaguk

This one was the best of all, did someone play Butch Baker - Batman in the Kitchen? if not, why not? Main records played were Walter & the Admirations (La-Cindy) Lester Tipton & JimmiE. Williams.

Cheers

Jock.

Edited by soulmaguk

Going to keep this short and sweet . This venue IMHO IS the best in the country and I beg to differ with anyone who states differant, if you was not at Wigan then I strongly suggest Riley Smith , it's as near as it will ever be or it has ever has got. ABSOLUTELY FUNKIN BRILLIANT

Edited by MAK

duplicate thread -so lets consolidate into this onethumbsup.gif

A TASTE OF HONEY.

WWW.BEARSOUL.MOONFRUIT.COM

SUNDAY OCTOBER 25TH . THE HELLFIRE CLUB MANCHESTER SOUL SAM . MARIA WILINGHAM . GEORGE WALLACE . PHIL SHIELDS . CHRIS MORGAN. NEAL & DOLLY JONES . ANDY BELLWOOD .

Upstairs rarer/underplayed room play list .

• Lenny Williams 'Gotta lotta luv' (Soul Crush)
  • Angie Stone 'Tell me' (Soul Degrees)
  • Terry Ronald 'What the child needs' (MCA)
  • Alicia Keyes 'Karmastition' (nine inch nails)
  • Carl Kennedy vs NYNC Project 'Ride the storm' (Gusto)
  • Moon Williams 'Suspicious love' (MCA)
  • Spencer 'My baby's coming home' ((Midtown) - Request
  • Soul Investigators 'Make it mellow' (Soul slides)
  • Eddie Lovette 'You're my girl' (Steady)
  • Miss Madeline 'Behave yourself' (Mar Lus)
  • Vamp 'Free & easy' (Mar Vel )
  • Diane Renay 'Soft spoken guy' (20th Century)
  • Frank Everett 'Spellbound' (Big Smokey)
  • The Girls 'The hurts still there' (Memphis)
  • Lee Williams & the Cymbals 'Lost love' (Carnival) - Request
  • Soul Ambassadors 'I don't have no one' (Seventy Seven)
  • Act 111 'Today I want to stay inside' (Harley)
  • Little Hooks 'I don't want to love you' (UA)
  • Leone Thomas 'Thank you baby' (Don)
  • Mark 1V 'Why you want to hurt me' (Mercury, LP cut) - Request
  • Rory McDonald 'Your love is indescribably delicious' (Phillips)
  • Larry Banks & Jaibi 'My life is no better '(100 Club Anniv)
  • King Floyd & The Three Queens 'Times have changed' (Pulsar)
  • Big Daddy Rogers 'I'm a big man' (Pi-Vine LP, Alt blues cut)
  • Dena Barnes 'End this way' c/u

Dale double decked towards the end and played some ace tunes – hopefully he'll add his play list thumbsup.gif

‘There was a time’ XMAS EVENT

Monday 28th December @ Kennedys Café Bar, York

7.30 -2am Resident DJs Soulmaster Jay, Barry Forth & Ricky Nelson.

Guest DJs Andy Bellwood (Riley Smith Hall) & Little Av (Manifesto Soul Club )

Edited by andybellwood

AFTER SPINNING A FEW TUNES AT THE AFTERNOON WARM UP SESSION IN THE FALCON PUB WE ARRIVED AT AROUND 8PM TO AN ALREADY BUSY RILEY SMITH HALL. WE SPENT MOST OF THE NIGHT IN THE RARE AND UNDERPLAYED ROOM UPSTAIRS LISTENING TO SOME SUPERB MUSIC PLAYED BY ALL DJS WITH THE OCCASSIONAL VISIT OUT ONTO THE BALCONY LOOKING DOWN ONTO THE PACKED DANCEFLOOR OF THE MAIN ROOM. good.gif GREAT TO SEE SO MANY PEOPLE ENJOYING THEMSELVES. WELL DONE TO ALL THE PROMOTERS AND DJS FOR SUCH A FANTASTIC NIGHT. ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT ONE. thumbup.gif

AV & PETE

Steve and Lydia thanks for the kind words! You can stay anytime. It's nice to be able to have a decent civillised conspiracy theory conversation and you also provided a good target for the cat!

Now on to the night! This keeps getting better! No really I mean it! The two before have felt like nighters and Saturday was no exception. Spent most of the night upstairs, the R and B session reminded me of the old Middleton Bunker (High Praise indeed!). Some of the rare stuff was truely fantastic and really danceable. But by god it was hot up there. At one point Steve T even took his jacket off! How about a fan?

I was downstairs for the last 20 minutes and the atmosphere was amazing.

Three final points: Is there any chance of; a) 6-8 nights a year cool.gif an extention beyond 1 a. m.? c) The free pork pie gave me indigestion

Comrade Moustache and Madame Beehive

Well another riley smith hall event over and done with,what a night.

Just like to say a massive thanks from me and Maz to all who turned up on the night and made it so speical.

Must thank the dj's who again turned up and did a marvalous job in keeping the floor full all night, our residents for there continued support ....martyn,colin,john, and also our guests,steve gainey and eddie wainwright fantastic job....also our special guests Maria and Carl absolute brillient...never ceases to amaze me the tunes that come from these two's boxes ..the tommy turke tune fantastic .

LEEMINGSCHOSEN2 (a) we have our dates for next year think we only have 5 so sorry bout that wicked.gif

as for the extension i am with you on that, it is something we have disscussed we may get another hour or so we will have to try, and the fans ...got to hold my hands up here it was me whistling.gif that forgot to put them in the room,we had two large fans downstairs back of the stage .....just slipped my mind,thanks for your very kind comments see you December

Dale an Maz thumbup.gif

Edited by Dale

I'm sure people will use the same words time and time again about this event, but it really was that GOOD!

Great venue. Floor busy from early doors. Friendly crowd. Fabulous tunes in both rooms and some rareish in the main hall as well!

Enjoyed the warm up in The Falcon - relaxing to great tunes whilst having a couple of beers and some food was great.

Thank heavens they served food all afternoon as the rest of Taddy was shut when me and the missus went for a wander round!

Cheers to everyone involved.

Tony

NUFCSOUL

I'm sure people will use the same words time and time again about this event, but it really was that GOOD!

Great venue. Floor busy from early doors. Friendly crowd. Fabulous tunes in both rooms and some rareish in the main hall as well!

Enjoyed the warm up in The Falcon - relaxing to great tunes whilst having a couple of beers and some food was great.

Thank heavens they served food all afternoon as the rest of Taddy was shut when me and the missus went for a wander round!

Cheers to everyone involved.

Tony

NUFCSOUL

Hi Tony, good to meet you and Margaret, even though after the event. Have to agree thoroughly enjoyed the night. Looking forward to the next night and will be booking into the same digs. Thanks Dale for the number. Brilliant tunes and we too enjoyed the Falcon and the food. Hope to speak to you soon David and Lindsey

Hi Tony, good to meet you and Margaret, even though after the event. Have to agree thoroughly enjoyed the night. Looking forward to the next night and will be booking into the same digs. Thanks Dale for the number. Brilliant tunes and we too enjoyed the Falcon and the food. Hope to speak to you soon David and Lindsey

THANKS DAVE AND LINSEY ....PLEASED YOU ENJOYED THE DAY AND GOT SORTED WITH THE DIGS...SEE YA BOTH DECEMBER ....IF YOU NEED ANYMORE INFO DAVE ANYTIME JUST GET IN TOUCH

DALE

Edited by Dale
Guest Trevski

First time I have sauntered down to the Riley Smith; and I must say I was impressed! Lovely venue, and it's nice to see a big venue full with lots of atmosphere! Of course, the upstairs was the place to be, and a lot of familiar faces about. Great having a natter to Steve and Lyd, Steve and Jo, (Steve, are we now Seymours chosen two!) Excellent tunes, as one would expect from the quality line up; even liked the R'n' B, altho' that might have had something to do with the rather attractive ladies that filed the floor! :yes: Definately adding RS to my must attend list!

Edited by Trevski
Guest BintofSoul

This was my first trip to Riley Smith Hall and hopefully it won't be my last. Fantastic venue, excellent music in the main hall (I also loved Eddie's set in the R&B room), great atmosphere and lovely gorgeous friendly Yorkshire folkthumbup.gif !

even liked the R'n' B,....7.gifChrist on a bike 7.gif altough that might have had something to do with the rather attractive ladies that filed the floor! ...had me going for a second there!

That was a great day out, a great warm-up session followed by a 200 yard walk to the fantastic old building that is the RSH - with what must be the bounciest sprung floor I've ever encountered! Loads of younger people there (looking like they were enjoying themselves) amongst the usual suspects, and good to hear folks moaning about the rare room getting hot and sweaty on a cool October eveningrolleyes.gif .....

Top DJ's for me? For great sets both in the pub, on the main floor and in the rare room - Carl & Maria - top classthumbup.gif

PS Nice to say hello to Dekka and Nicki (Bintofsoul) - we need Soul Source name badges for venues! And Comrade Moustache, the suit looked good.gif

Brilliant night again disappointed I missed May's event but Saturday made up for it, I spent nearly all night on the dancefloor a lot of sounds I haven't heard before but still kept me dancing. Thanks to all for a good night see you in December x

I, went to the early evening warm up session at the Falcon which put me in the mood

for what was to become a really great night.

Here i met up with jay Cee and said hello to quite a few new and old aquaintenances from the scene.

And so up to the Riley Smith Hall.

There is a distinctive sound created by this venue which really has to be experienced.

The excitement of the night and the great atmosphere meant that with the music pounding out of the speakers and

that unbelievable sprung dance floor, you were welcomed home once more to 5 hours of heaven.

P.S. I really do think this venue would make a fantastic allnighterthumbsup.gif

Edited by dekka
Guest BintofSoul

That was a great day out, a great warm-up session followed by a 200 yard walk to the fantastic old building that is the RSH - with what must be the bounciest sprung floor I've ever encountered! Loads of younger people there (looking like they were enjoying themselves) amongst the usual suspects, and good to hear folks moaning about the rare room getting hot and sweaty on a cool October eveningrolleyes.gif .....

Top DJ's for me? For great sets both in the pub, on the main floor and in the rare room - Carl & Maria - top classthumbup.gif

PS Nice to say hello to Dekka and Nicki (Bintofsoul) - we need Soul Source name badges for venues! And Comrade Moustache, the suit looked good.gif

Really good to meet you too Richard. I agree with badge ideathumbup.gif ! Maybe we'll see you in the sunny south if you come along to John Alden's event in Ramsgate?

Nicki XXX

Edited by BintofSoul
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest tony hatfield

For latest pics go to;-

https://www.imonmyway.me.uk

thumbup.gif

THANKS JOSH FOR UPDATING THE WEBSITE & ALSO A BIG THANK YOU FOR EVERYBODY WHO TURNED UP FOR ANOTHER TOP NIGHT & MEGA SOUNDS FROM ALL THE GUESTS & RESIDENT DJ'S.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL ON THE 19TH DECEMBER FOR THE CHRISTMAS PARTY ALLDAYER.

ATB

TRACY & TONYgood.gif

Source Advert