45Rpm 7" - 'tell Me'/spyder Turner And "suddenly There's You"/pree Now For Sale

Guest Carl Dixon

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody - I have finally managed to configure Pay Pal and my Bandtraxs blog to feature the 7"/45rpms I have for sale of Spyder Turners 'Tell me (crying over you)', and Pree's 'Suddenly there's you'. I can tell you this has been one hell of a journey and today I wandered around central London enquiring in Soho record shops about possible wholesale interest. There is some, but I have to compromise on price a little. All part of the learning curve I guess. However, the two singles are now ready for dispatch (after the postal strike). They have the instrumental on the 'B' side, and the labels are black ink on white paper. That is all I could afford. The price I am charging does not reflect any recovery of session costs, as that was my personal project. These sales include UK postage only at the moment and I may, once I see the reaction, increase the price a little. This will secure a better performer royalty etc, for those that helped me out with this last year. They really were great to work with and I do not want to let them down. Here is the url and the purchase details or on the right hand side:

https://www.bandtraxs.blogspot.com/

If you like the songs and purchase anything, you will be pleased to know that your payment, indirectly, has appropriated much needed funds to various parts of the business from the studio hire and their employees/Detroit musicians union/musicians/performers/record manufacture/UPS Freight/ Royal Mail etc.....I could go on and on and on....and probably do. Don't forget you can hear these two tracks here for appraisal:

www.youtube.com/bandtraxs

I am not certain which part of the forum this should be on, so delete one if needs be!!

Cheers

Carl

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks Mark. Got it. I will be packaging up tomorrow. Not certain whether they will get the post due to the strike. Might try our local office an dsee what is happening...

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks everybody, and Dave, I just sent you a pm.

Yes, I never thought I would get this far. Believe me, the advice from Ian and Paul on here....invaluable. We really do have some good people on this site. It is a pity we live mostly in this virtual world and cannot interact more etc. That's my next step to go to some gigs and promote the vinyl and start meeting people. When I called into the Hull Soul Club affair -it was wonderful. We chatted about the Funk Brothers, records etc. So good to talk with people passionate about th emusic and know names and studios wherever. Already sales of the vinyl have overtook the digital in 2 days!! Which means by definition, theo format still has tremendouse physical value and worth. If you want the 45rpm pressers I wrote, go here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/1avacm

https://www.sendspace.com/file/yxlhos

They are far from perfect. I wrote them and these have been slightly changed from the digital ones to incorporate a 45 buzz.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Next up is marketing! If anybody is interested in joining my 'Bandtraxs' Facebook site, feel free. Just search 'Bandtraxs'. Not that I have a clue about this technology.I am trying this out to see if the next generation of social networking applications is any use. I think it is, but early days. I must confess, the interaction on the forum is one thing, but Facebook is another interesting scenario.

Thanks to those who have bought the vinyl already. The mailers seem good, and some nice positive feedback. It would be good to shift all the records and move onto the CD compilation I am thinking of doing, but I have some PR to follow up on. Next job is to get in the car and drive to a few soul venues and see if anybody is interested in the product. I think I am going to let word of mouth be the old fashioned tool for some time too.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Well, sales of the vinyl are steady on both counts. Some have gone to the southern hemisphere and indeed some back to the US. Amazingly the States delivery took just five days and arrived with a clean bill of health. The digital figures are slowly coming in to, so all very positive. There has been some interest from the BBC about the whole project, so just waiting on that front. Thanks again to those who have purchased either or both the singles in the UK too, or indeed the downloads. Special thanks to Harry Grundy who has been very supportive from the beginning. It was his demo airplay on WFM that really made me realise the songs had some potential and should be the favoured cuts stateside. Ironically, one of the demo's he played (Glory Fleeting), I have not released yet, but will probably do next year, dependent on sales of these two. May I also thank those who play the vinyl at gigs. The concept of these tracks being available on 45 did not really cross my mind until this year, when finances were available, but to have them on turntables in an influential scenario it is much appreciated. Also, what is very special is that many jocks have actually paid for them and not expected freebies. I think they relaise that my life savings and pension are at stake here and made a valuable contribution by wanting to give th eproject worth, by paying for them. Had I pressed up thousands and thousands I may well have sent a few free here and there, but frankly the project really cannot afford it.

More news when available.

Digital tracks available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=bandtraxs

vinyl here:

https://www.bandtraxs.com

Cheers

Carl

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Just a quick update on the vinyl sales of the two 45's. Things picked up just before Christmas which made me have to get to the Post Office on Xmas eve, with minutes to go before closing. A number of Soul Source members have been instrumental in getting the tracks heard/played at gigs etc which is wonderful. Thank you. In fact someone from one gig has contacted me and given positive feedback about the venue where she heard Spyders track being played and the song. Very encouraging. I have done a little research with a few of those who purchased direct from me and it seems word of mouth, air and gig play and general Internet surfing/Youtube etc are how people are picking up on the releases. One conversation was about the guitar solo in 'Tell me'. Love it or loath it, it was very organic how it happened in the studio, but I have accepted how musicians can come up with something that is outstanding. Don't forget to support the independent record shops. I had not realised their importance. Funky Feet have been brilliant and I know margins are not good with things like this, yet they give a terrific service and profile the songs in more ways than one. Thanks to them:

www.funkyfeetrecords.co.uk/

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Carl Dixon

If anybody is interested here is an early 2005 demo of 'Tell me (crying over you)'. The song was just a number at one stage, and then became 'Crying over you', and eventually outside the Detroit Studio 'A' door by my wife named 'Tell me (crying over you)':

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/tell-me-crying-over-you

There are still plenty of 45 rpm's of the studio version featuring Spyder Turner available from www.funkyfeetrecords.co.uk/

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

And for the fist time via social media a song simply called '35'. This is one of the tunes that did not qualify for a real Detroit recording. Maybe one day when I have another £12,000 to spare.

"Written and created in 2005, this 1967 Detroit sounding demo was aimed at the group scenario like The Temptations, Fantastic Four, Originals, etc. The back beats are too low in frequency and the organ could come down a little. The horns are not dynamic enough at this stage, but nevertheless, there is a groove......."

This is the low bandwidth mono mix from an original wav file created on a bounce by Logic Audio:

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/thirty-five

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I just realised these should not be in here, but in the audio section. Delete if needs be. Sorry. Or shall I delete them Mike?

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert