• Replies 175
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

roger earl oakin i cant face(or was it stand ) the animals - parlophone

No you got it right, but I have to say I've never heard of that in my entire life. I did have his original version of "stop and you'll become aware" but it's half the speed of Helen's version and is crap.

Social source share

There is a nice British version of that too, I've got it tucked away somewhere, weird sounding name but great record.thumbsup.gif PETE can you remember who does that on Columbia I think?

Yeah it's Lewis Rich on Parlophone. I think Dusty did a nice version too, plus I used to play the Jerry Butler vesrion off a pristine Sue copy, I wonder what happened to it.

Lewis Rich version is a real pub singer special unfortunately.

post-1893-12676274658256_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest martyn

Wasn't

S.O.S All We Need Is Time For Love Canadian as well. Had a few copies on the orange label.Great record but not heard it out.Timmy Thomas-Whats Bothering Me.(never hear that either).The Flirtations-Hold On To Me Babe on Polydor,Flora Wilson-Dancing On A Daydream,Boz Scaggs-You Make It So Hard To Say No,Lorelei-S.T.O.P.....

What do you mean "wasn't" ?

I can assure you it was boxing.gif

Social source share

Hiya.....Really don't think that the above track has got the slightest thing to do with Northern Soul!! :hatsoff2:

I don't get that Webby. it was played at 'northern soul' clubs. its soulful and jazzy, the same as Wade in the water. i'd rather hear Nina Simone over the theme from coloured man or afternoon of the rhino etc any day of the week good.gif:thumbup::thumbsup:

Ian wink.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hiya.....Really don't think that the above track has got the slightest thing to do with Northern Soul!! thumbsup.gif

I would argue that anything played at an alnighter has 'something ' to do with Northern Soul , even if it is crap hatsoff2.gif Nina Simone was a floor filler in its time , not that keen on it myself now TBH either , I'm just an argumentative t**t sometimes whistling.gif

Social source share

I don't get that Webby. it was played at 'northern soul' clubs. its soulful and jazzy, the same as Wade in the water. i'd rather hear Nina Simone over the theme from coloured man or afternoon of the rhino etc any day of the week good.gif:thumbsup::hatsoff2:

Ian :thumbup:

I wouldn't, Afternoon Of The Rhino is a KING amongst Northern instrumentals...a real floorshaker

Social source share

I wonder if that Roger Earl Okin was the Earl Okin that I saw at my brother's comedy club 'the gaslight' in Peterborough in the mid 80s. This guy would have been in his 50s then, very suave, pin stripe suit, fedora and spats. He did a cabaret act, with a guitar, alternating blues and jazz standards with witty ramblings a la George Melly. The strange world of Northern Soul indeed!

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

heard a belter on Radio 2 today.....

NINA SIMONE - MY BABY JUST CARES FOR ME whistling

Sure this was re-activated by the HACIENDA in Manchester prior to it's re-release and hitting the charts. Ventured their a few times meself before the shooter boys moved in.

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

sounds of Lancashire-back to bachshades

Never heard it any where or any Soul -Do and to be honest i would'nt want to.Also i'd be suprised if anybody else had.

Social source share

Lets put the cat amongst the pidgeons then...

Leon bRYANT "Mighty body (Hotsy Totsy)".

Casanova "Coffee"

Leon Petersen "Don't squeeze the sherm"

Cats Eyes "Life"

Sammy Davis Jr "Take a chance on me"

Ral Donner "Don't let it slip away"

Prince Buster whistling

Isaac Hayes Connection "Disco connection"

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

yeah, not only is it an excellent candidate for record you're never likely to hear again, its probably No. 1 candidate for worst record ever

Social source share

I wonder if that Roger Earl Okin was the Earl Okin that I saw at my brother's comedy club 'the gaslight' in Peterborough in the mid 80s. This guy would have been in his 50s then, very suave, pin stripe suit, fedora and spats. He did a cabaret act, with a guitar, alternating blues and jazz standards with witty ramblings a la George Melly. The strange world of Northern Soul indeed!

dress wise its possible coz the guy on the record did have a slight french accent lol

Social source share

also jacki bond why cant i love him strike played this at witcombe lodge once standing in for a mate while he went to the gents went down like a lead balloon

Social source share

Barry St John - no such track on decca, might have been a cover up or the 'other' Columbia single.

Escape From Cuba is by The High & The Mighty who are in fact, The reflections.

Twiggy is Beautiful Dreams. brilliant track.

Pete

Didn't know that High & Mighty were The Reflections - is that well known & if not how did you find out?

When I first heard Escape From Cuba I thought it was great so I must've been mashed at the time as it really is one of those tunes on reflection (lol) that makes you feel a little ill.

Mick

Social source share

well 30 years ago i was only 12 and hadnt been to a soul night yet !...although through my older bruv who was a st ives and yate regular i had started buying northern

3 of my first tunes .....which i havnt heard out since the youth club were...

hey little way out girl/del capris (corperation)...still love it

the joker/butch baker...still love it

interplay/derek and ray....maybe not !

dean

Social source share

Pete

Didn't know that High & Mighty were The Reflections - is that well known & if not how did you find out?

When I first heard Escape From Cuba I thought it was great so I must've been mashed at the time as it really is one of those tunes on reflection (lol) that makes you feel a little ill.

Mick

Can't remember how I found out, sorry, did an article about 20 years back...but have a listen, they sound identical anyway and have the same producers and arrangers

Social source share

well 30 years ago i was only 12 and hadnt been to a soul night yet !...although through my older bruv who was a st ives and yate regular i had started buying northern

3 of my first tunes .....which i havnt heard out since the youth club were...

hey little way out girl/del capris (corperation)...still love it

the joker/butch baker...still love it

interplay/derek and ray....maybe not !

dean

Hey little way out girl - Construction played at Grosvenor rooms last month by John Poole

Interplay - played monthly around Notts

:yes:

Social source share

Guest smartypantsnancy

Happy Without You by Sound Judgement.

I Love it a real blast from the past.

I asked for it at Kings Hall on Saturday but they didnt play it. Shame :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

GUY DARRELL I'V BEEN HURT

ANDRE BRASSEUR THE KID

Crikey!! I've been hurt brings back some memories- it was a big fave back in the day.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Phoenix8049

Three from me...

1) Goodbye Nothing To Say-Nosmo King And The Javells (love it!!)

2) My Hearts Symphony-Gary Lewis & The Playboys (loved it!!)

3) The Zoo-The Commodores

Three from me too and all great records.

1) Gary Haines - Keep On Going

2) Florence Devore - Kiss Me Now (Don't Kiss Me Later)

3) Ellingtons - (I'm not) Destined To Become A Loser

Candi Staton - Now You've Got The Upper Hand used to get played a lot at a northern soul venue i used to go to in Stockport not that long ago.

Social source share

1) Gary Haines - Keep On Going

2) Florence Devore - Kiss Me Now (Don't Kiss Me Later) ---- Kingsway hall/Grosvenor rooms/Crooked spire

3) Ellingtons - (I'm not) Destined To Become A Loser

Candi Staton - Now You've Got The Upper Hand -- I play this regular

Social source share

1) Gary Haines - Keep On Going -play it at stockport guild hall

2) Florence Devore - Kiss Me Now (Don't Kiss Me Later)

3) Ellingtons - (I'm not) Destined To Become A Loser - also play this at stockport

Candi Staton - Now You've Got The Upper Hand used to get played a lot at a northern soul venue i used to go to in Stockport not that long ago.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Wow i gotta get down to the guild hall in stockport if you are playing stuff like this.

I only live about 10 minutes walk away too.

Stu

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In no particular order, nor to do I want to hear some of them!

Mr Bloe - Land of a Thousand Dances

The Ventures - Hawaii 5 0

Magic Disco Machines - Control Tower

Hamliton Bohannon - Foot Stompin Music

Betty Baker And The Jaxsis - Marching Out Of Your Life - (still like this)

Phase II - The First Shot

Brainstorm - Wake Up and Be Somebody

Cameo - Find my Way

Lada Edmund Jnr - The Larue

The Exciters - Blowing Up Mind

The Sounds of Lane - Tracks to you Mind

Total Eclipse - 6 O'Clock (aka Supertime - Golden World Strings)

Sandy Nelson - Love is Like and Itchin in My Heart (inst)

Lou Edwards & Today's People - Talkin 'Bout Poor Folks

L J Reynolds & Chocolate Syrup - The Penguin Breakdown

Les McCann - River Deep Moutain High

Robert Knight - Branded

Dusty Springfield - What's it Gonna Be

Ila Vann - Can'y Help Loving This Man of Mine

Mike Post Coalition - Bubblegum Breakthrough

Watts 103rd Street Rythm Band - The Joker

The Four Seasons - I'm Gonna Change

Offfenbach - Judy in Disguise

Nanette Workman - Lady Marmalade

etc etc...........

Social source share

A few more I thought of

Party Brothers - Do the Groundhog

David Lennard and the Music Tree - It Could Have Been You

Damita Jo - Save the Last Dance For You (instrumental)

Shiela Anthony - Livin in Love

Butch Baker - Working At The Go Go

The Drifters - You've Gotta Pay Your Dues

Soul Brothers Six - Thankyou Baby For Loving Me

Johnny Jones and The Casuals - Purple Haze (was huge)

Funky Sisters - Do It To It

Sons of Moses - Soul Symphony

Gloria Jones - Finders Keepers

Roger Collins - You Sexy Sugar Plum

Fantastic Johnny C - Don't Depend On Me

The Belles - Don't Pretend

Ernie Bush - Breakaway

plus more!

Social source share

Guest martyn

Teddy Vann - Theme from the Colored Man...pity no-one ever plays the spoken intro on the other side!:rolleyes:

Only heard it once , is that where he stops a speeding train etc or am I thinking of something else equally weird ?

Social source share

Guest audiavant

Only heard it once , is that where he stops a speeding train etc or am I thinking of something else equally weird ?

You might mean Little ole man(uptight everythings alright)-Bill Cosby,

"a train ran over me ,a half hour before a herd of elephants stampeded over me"

Social source share

Teddy Vann - Theme from the Colored Man...pity no-one ever plays the spoken intro on the other side!rolleyes.gif

yes.gifThat's right as soon as you gave correct tittle & artist it all came flooding back. I don't think Iv'e heard this played for about 20 years, maybe longer.biggrin.gif

Julia xxxxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert