Dee Edwards - I Can Deal With That - How Many Versions ?

Basically I have always thought there were two the Red De-To 70's version and the later 80's Morning Glory synth version. But in the last week I have been asked several times do I have the 70's pressing with or without strings!!!!

Were there two different versions/pressings of the 70's red De-To, if so can someone put a sound file for each.

I also have the original first test pressing that I got from Label owner Doc Kyle, be interesting to see which it was that they originally intended.

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest wrighty

Basically I have always thought there were two the Red De-To 70's version and the later 80's Morning Glory synth version. But in the last week I have been asked several times do I have the 70's pressing with or without strings!!!!

Were there two different versions/pressings of the 70's red De-To, if so can someone put a sound file for each.

I also have the original first test pressing that I got from Label owner Doc Kyle, be interesting to see which it was that they originally intended.

Dave

the 70's de-to issue definitely has two different presses dave, one without strings and one with but everything else the same, i seem to recall the one with strings is more common but i'm sure someone else will know the score 100%...i have the one without strings which gives it a slightly funkier feel imo smile.gif

Social source share

the 70's de-to issue definitely has two different presses dave, one without strings and one with but everything else the same, i seem to recall the one with strings is more common but i'm sure someone else will know the score 100%...i have the one without strings which gives it a slightly funkier feel imo smile.gif

Hi Ian

Just listened to the one in refo and that doesn't seem to have strings, can you have a listen to that a confirm that is the one you have. If so the test pressing is the same. Which would imply that it was original intended without strings.

post-3008-12690756005365_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest wrighty

Hi Ian

Just listened to the one in refo and that doesn't seem to have strings, can you have a listen to that a confirm that is the one you have. If so the test pressing is the same. Which would imply that it was original intended without strings.

post-3008-12690756005365_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Dave

yep thats the one...nice innit hatsoff2.gif

does that mean we can say we have the original and the others are all boots no.gif

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

Guest wrighty

This is odd, as I'm a man that loves strings, but just listen to the link you put up, it's messy with strings, it loses it's purity.

ohmy.gif

yeah weird, after listening again myself the strings sound more up in the mix than i'd remembered, definitely a bit of a 'bolted on' feel huh.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Great to see that test pressing Dave, i have just listened to the youtube links, and i think i have the version without strings, totally confused now..........................

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Great to see that test pressing Dave, but i have to agree with Joe (Pikeys), without the strings it sounds flat, and hasn't got that punch and vibrance that the added arrangement gives the 45', i have the strings version by the way, and the very poor 'Morning Glory' take.

Brett

Just listened to my copy on a decent stereo with a bit of oomph behind it, and it doesn't sound flat like the one on the YouTube clip - a poor quality recording perhaps?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=-bETb5_WlG0

This is the one with the strings tambourine isn't it?, i have the other version, , one of the other links sounded different too mine, but i don't know for sure, this means i'll have to find the bleeding record and play it now..cheers Dave, i have some brick work to do in the garden, looks like that will get sidelined now...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Just listened to my copy on a decent stereo with a bit of oomph behind it, and it doesn't sound flat like the one on the YouTube clip - a poor quality recording perhaps?

Hi Joe, just edited my post because i listened to the wrong take, i actually prefer the no strings, tambourine version...(which i think i have)

Social source share

Me and Rob Hurcomb were discussing this last year, Dave.

There are two De-To releases... "With" strings and "Without".

"Without" is the best by a mile, IMO, but I know a lot of people prefer the "With" mix.

Always thought "Without" was first... and was the rarest of the two!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

This is the one with the strings tambourine isn't it?, i have the other version, , one of the other links sounded different too mine, but i don't know for sure, this means i'll have to find the bleeding record and play it now..cheers Dave, i have some brick work to do in the garden, looks like that will get sidelined now...rolleyes.gif

:huh:

Hey Brett,

I've just remembered that night you and Bully were in the back seat of my car and me and Ashleigh were talking, in the front, about which mix of "I Can Deal With That" we preferred, with or without strings.... when you and Bully started shouting 'De-To' mix is best, we both realised the two of you had no idea what we' were talking about... but you were both too far gone for us to even try and explain! :hypo:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Brett F

:huh:

Hey Brett,

I've just remembered that night you and Bully were in the back seat of my car and me and Ashleigh were talking, in the front, about which mix of "I Can Deal With That" we preferred, with or without strings.... when you and Bully started shouting 'De-To' mix is best, we both realised the two of you had no idea what we' were talking about... but you were both too far gone for us to even try and explain! :hypo:

Sean

laugh.gif............You're right Sean.no idea whatsoever....laugh.giflaugh.gif..see you at Yarmuff'wink.gif

Social source share

can someone post a decent quality soundfile of the one with strings and things, youtube usually sh*te quality. I've no doubt heard both but never took any notice.A soundfile of the Morning Glory one would be nice too.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert