Gwen And Ray On Bee-Bee Real Or Boot ?

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

whats the difference between the real and the bootleg ....both look the same i believe..and how much for original ...thanks in advance

Quite hard to tell it's all in the run out groove mate. Orig also has fainter ink than the boot. I have both so I'll have a look.

Orig rarely comes up for sale.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

GWEN & RAY - IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD - BEE BEE 223 B -

there you go folks one up for the deep soul possee lol!!!

BAZ A

Great raw and low budget deep thumbsup.gif

Anyone any clue who Gwen & Ray were, apart from being named Gwen & Ray of course. Did they go on to anything else under different names etc ?

Ok, we've all got hard luck stories but I remember just missing this on Soul Bowl's list around 1975ish for £1.75

"Sorry it's gone" F--k! :sad:

Social source share

Right orig has narrower run out groove, and actually looks like a 60s record with a flat edge. Unlike the pressing which has a wider run out and more rounded edges if that makes sense. Also orig has BB223 A in run out in v small letters, boot has BEE 223 A in run out in spread out larger letters.

I'm an anorak right?Anyway hope that helps....Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Anyone any clue who Gwen & Ray were, apart from being named Gwen & Ray of course. Did they go on to anything else under different names etc ?

Ok, we've all got hard luck stories but I remember just missing this on Soul Bowl's list around 1975ish for £1.75

"Sorry it's gone" F--k! sad.gif

gwen owens and ray winstonthumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Baltimore with Tats and Bully around 15 years ago when one of 'em pulled a minter out of a back room in a Shopping mall.

So I figure it can't be that difficult :wink:.

Think I'll try my luck at Meadowhall in the mornin'

:D

Sean

Yeah i pulled it from under the bulmiesters nose, maybe thats why i still carry the bruises. the record is in storage at Rob's. it might be rare but it's pretty awful!, although i have never played the flip,it is nice a deep trackwhich Baz has just posted up.

Tats

Social source share

the record is in storage at Rob's. it might be rare but it's pretty awful!, although i have never played the flip,it is nice a deep trackwhich Baz has just posted up.

Tats

Can only imagine what you two have got 'in storage' from all your buying trips together.

That said, I've seen the state of Robs garage... so I'm volunteering to come and help you both sort 'em out.

one for you... one for Rob... one for me!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

"Sorry it's gone" F--k! :sad:

I thought the Gwen was Gwen McCrae wasn't it?

And the original is super, super rare. Had it long ago and never seen another real one since......

Ian D :D

Social source share

I thought the Gwen was Gwen McCrae wasn't it?

And the original is super, super rare. Had it long ago and never seen another real one since......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Oh Ian really!!!!

Next you'll be telling us that Althea & Donna who had the hit "Uptown Top Ranking" featured Alethia Lattimore and Donny Hathaway :lol:

The Yorks ensemble will be coming on here to tell us how they found one in someones toilet, and it's in their garage etc etc.....

Can't get away from it though Gwen & Ray is a good solid norman oldie.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Oh Ian really!!!!

Next you'll be telling us that Althea & Donna who had the hit "Uptown Top Ranking" featured Aleta Lattimore and Donny Hathaway :thumbup:

The Yorks ensemble will be coming on here to tell us how they found one in someones toilet, and it's in their garage etc etc.....

Can't get away from it though Gwen & Ray is a good solid norman oldie.

:yes:

To be fair Steve, that was always the strong rumour back in the Mecca days, when it first turned up.

A rumour got around that it was George & Gwen McCrae. And as a wordplay, you can see how it got there.

Course, it was total ballocks, we all realised later, but by that time Ian had bought a one way ticket to LA, so he kinda missed the revelation!

:lol:

Sean

PS:

It's really Gwen Guthrie & Ray Charles.

But I might have just made that up. :lol:

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!