Johnnyf

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Keep finding tracks on the Goldwax Northern Soul CD that I like.

What kind of price does this go for ?

If you have one for sale please let me know

Thanks

John

Unreleased John so only available as a kent anniversary single, backed with magicians,or on the Kent Goldwax album

A single cleared e-bay last night at about £76, have seen it make more thoughyes.gif

Regards

M.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Not sure if you have heard the japenese lp version which i guess is the original vinyl release? ( for those out there that care about stuff like that and there are lots).

Any case have a listen i did add this a few years back and like Sean say's an old play here and there.

Good luck with finding a copy and if you want any more info on the lp i will send you the details.

Andy Mann :D

"WEE" WILLIE WALKER -

Social source share

Not sure if you have heard the japenese lp version which i guess is the original vinyl release? ( for those out there that care about stuff like that and there are lots).

Any case have a listen i did add this a few years back and like Sean say's an old play here and there.

Good luck with finding a copy and if you want any more info on the lp i will send you the details.

"WEE" WILLIE WALKER -

Shame those offbeat 'Memphis' horns are missing Andysad.gif

M.

Social source share

"WEE" WILLIE WALKER -

WEE WILLIE WALKER - I DONT WANNA TAKE A CHANCE - KENT ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL BLANK -

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

WEE WILLIE WALKER - I DONT WANNA TAKE A CHANCE - KENT ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL BLANK -

A really lovely record.

I know that there is a slight similarity in the title, but does anyone else think like me that the song itself has more than a passing similarity to Art Gentry's 'This Is My Chance' - another stunning track.

Social source share

I play it off a 70's Jap Goldwax LP.

Slightly different mix, but still absolutely awesome.

Old PITCHES tune, back in the day!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Y'know - I hadn't realised there was more than one mix of this:no::huh:

I only knew of the Jap Goldwax CD version back in the day when it first got spins at Yarmouth / Pitches etc.

I've just compared the above CD recording with the LP recording of Andys and they sound the same - so does that mean the Kent 45 was another mix which only surfaced via Kent? I guess so...

In fact I think Adey just answered that one whilest I'm typing.

I suppose there goes my 'street cred' now:wink:

Social source share

Not so much a different mix Sean, the Jap LP came from an earlier stage of production with no brass and backing vocals.

Sorry, just thought, I'd plug ours!

Yep, just played 'em side by side and its clear that the Brass and Backing vocals are added later, as you say.

yes.gif

So while we're plugging, is this a good time to say that another, equally BRILLIANT tune, in the same mould, is the AWESOME Willie Walker track I've been playing "Runaround" - yet another unreleased Sound Of Memphis gem and also, hopefully, out this summer... :-)

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Brett F

If you want to hear a tune that's also in the same mould, y'all need to hear the Awesome Willie Bollinger track I've been playing "I Dont Want To Cry No More" unreleased Sound Of Memphis, hopefully out this summer... :-)

Sean

Just to echo Sean's sentiments, the Willie Bollinger track and the Willie Walker (plus the incredible un-released Candi Staton track) are just staggering, i had the good fortune to hear Sean play the 'runaround' out over the last few months and also heard the Bollinger track in Sean's car a couple of times ( or was it more like 27 times Sean ? when i demanded you play it over and over), so Ady you must release these incredible finds on vinyl 45's for this ever hungry public.

Ps...the Wee Willie Walker is brilliant, i have the 45', but not the Lp.....and i prefer the 45' take.....wink.gif

Brett

footnote : Sean, Ady, Tony Rounce, Dean Rudland isn't the Willie Bollinger a very similar take to the Wee Willie Walker in arrangement etc, doing this from memory but certain it had that association ?

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

was that Jap Goldwax CD 'booted'? my copy is awfully cheap looking with a blank inner booklet.

The CD of "Goldwax Collection" Volume 1 featuring Spencer Wiggins "Let's Talk It Over" appears to resemble a very shoddy bootleg. I've never seen a copy with higher production values so maybe that's just the way it was.

The vinyl of "Volume 2" is of superb quality with fairly nice artwork, OBI and lyric sheet: pretty typical of the Vivid Sound releases of the time.

For what it's worth I marginally prefer the no horns - no backing singers version of Willie Walker myself but maybe that's because it is the one I heard first.

Social source share

sn't the Willie Bollinger a very similar take to the Wee Willie Walker in arrangement etc, doing this from memory but certain it had that association ?

Yes mate, very similar melody.

That's what I was saying in Post 10.

Are you ready for another run out in the Mobile Disco yet?

:D

Sean

Social source share

For what it's worth I marginally prefer the no horns - no backing singers version of Willie Walker myself but maybe that's because it is the one I heard first.

Yep - Me too Gareth.

It's the one i heard first too, but that's not why I prefer it.

Honestly feel the Horns and Girls take away that haunting, mellow and 'empty' feel in the original (and, I love Horns as a rule, but they're way OTT here).

Sean

Social source share

Yep - Me too Gareth.

It's the one i heard first too, but that's not why I prefer it.

Honestly feel the Horns and Girls take away that haunting, mellow and 'empty' feel in the original (and, I love Horns as a rule, but they're way OTT here).

thumbsup.gif

Sean

What about the Charles Wilson version that Jocko posted in refo a bit back..this is very nice imho

CHARLES WILSON - I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE - SEVERN CD -

Social source share

The CD of "Goldwax Collection" Volume 1 featuring Spencer Wiggins "Let's Talk It Over" appears to resemble a very shoddy bootleg. I've never seen a copy with higher production values so maybe that's just the way it was.

You and Mike make a Good point about that CD, Gareth.

It was originally put out with GOLD FOIL on the packaging (a pretty expensive process).

The 'Olive Green' type version didn't appear until a couple of years later.

I've always thought it was legit, but they simply put out a cheaper production copy at a later date.

Sean

Social source share

always loved this from the mid 90`s at pitches and i still have it on a tape from then. i have also just realised the extra horns and backing singers on the kent 45............ never noticed them before

dave

Phew! - that makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only onelaugh.gif

Got to dig out me CD though and check for the 'Gold foil' - don't think it's got any though...yet!wink.gif

Here's a scan of the LP cover:

post-5094-12739632968269.jpg

Social source share

Source Advert