2010-06-18: Burnley All Niter

great nite, left at 4 so sorry for the spots i missed, but the ones i did hear were top bollox! some fantastic tunes played, CODs, Eddie Daye (nice one Phil), Don & Ron, the brilliant instrumental ('All The Time'?), John & Wierdest - No Time, the list could go on and on, legs now aching!!! And a great record I heard for the first time and if i remember right it was Wilmer Scott - Smokin'thumbsup.gif

Great venue, nice to see some great peeps again, Donna, Tony, and Sandy, Killa, Dave Rivers, Phil T, and of course Gaz to name but a few.

thumbsup.gif

• Replies 67
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wot a brilliant opening nite ! Excellent musically.Everyone did there bit to all make it so!

Nice to see all the familiar faces back at there usual places!

A lot of people not seen since it finished really good to see Rosemary wer she belongs (what a woman) she even tolerated my shite jokes !Kaz & Gaz its been far to long !

Weldone Dolly for bein ready on time LOL

Had all intentions of leavin about 3 due to work next day, Had to stay for Joanie babes set. And really glad i did. Paying for it now tho !!

All the children of the nite who missed lastnite for wotever reasons, you missed a cracker. So dont miss the next one! ( Hope im not workin)

Cogster !

Listen 'ere little legs, next time you bully me into getting really early then turn up late, I will stop all our jolly moments, ya know all them silly little things that make you chuckle...

No more port an lemon stories, no more doing the bump, in fact Mr Cog I won't even bother leaving my drink in your car to annoy you anymore OK ?

Reckon that's him told innocent.gifinnocent.gif lol

Know thats of my chest, blink.gif

Back to buzzing about Burnley, it really was a pukka night from start to finish.

Great line up of DJ's, who all played some top drawer tunage.

Dave Rivers and strawberry blond Kit, Be warned, pay back will be sweet I'm sure blush.gifblush.gif

Gareth thanks for the grammar lesson, always good to see ya. I'll pass the MSG on to Anita.

Nice to meet you Phil, I enjoyed your set. Stuff you said made a lot of sense. Nice one, enjoy your holiday.

Look forward to next time

Dolly

Mike just saw your text, stop sulking !!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Dolly13
Guest frenchie

Well we got there at 9 cos Stu kicked the night off, and what a cracker, Burnley is back on the map.

Cannot say who did my favourite spot as they were all fantastic, haven't danced that much in a while, and yes I am suffering now with major knee swelling,. It was worth it.

Apologies Joan for leaving just before you ended and also Pete, but Stu dragged me away ranting_1.gif he went on some kind of weird outing today at 12!

Brilliant music, company, and great to see al the familiar faces. And then there is Louise...who kept me entertained, say no more laugh.giflaugh.gif.

Dave T what can I say she is unique.

See you all at the next one.

Penny

Guest rosemary

I had a brilliant nightthumbsup.gif...... fantastic music from all DJs, Joan I loved your spot - I even came out in a sweat with all the dancing..... lots of fun with Louise and our strange outside experience:laugh:.

Mr Cogg thanks for entertaining me with those crap jokes:laugh:.

Also, nice to meet the lovely Imogen:smile: , enjoyed our chat about soulful house, new romantics and disco:yes:.

Rosemary xx

Guest gordon russell

Fantastic..!!!!!....Burnley right back in the groove of all grooves. Lots of night time folk in attendance,great!!...Music....well up first mr Raith just aving fun with some nice listening/dancing tunes...Stu with a smile sooper!!...next new to me Ian Cunliffe,knew he,d have good tunes,but imagination?...no need to worrysmile.gif great spot. Andy Killick next....last two times i,ve heard Andy big and rare ,but not quite in the burnley groove...NOT THIS TIME what a fecking spot that man!!! he was up there really enjoying himself playing a sublime set of dance music and in the zone big time,greatthumbsup.gif Forgot me old mate john mcc..sorry mate...great tunes and he does it for the love (mainly of danny lol)...Clifford (the legend) Camfield up next...what is the burnley sound? this man epitomises it. Cliffs set THATS A BURNLEY SET starts of with a first time out f**kin corking unknown tune and never let up unknowns,underplayed,current plays and a sprinkling of pure magic....what Cliff does thats different is each set contains 2or3 underplayed gems that has folk saying "wow don,t this sound great" then he leaves em alone.This man knows how to play dance music by instinct TOPPP!!!.

Never heard Big phil T before...he played a slightly to mid tempo set for me,BUT it sure wern,t dreary and it had the dance floor oop and at em...he did good as a good thing and a fun bloke to boot.Joan next...what can we say about our Joan SHE NEVER FAILS TO GIVE HER ALL AS IF IT WERE HER LAST SET it was as is always from her double f**king kicking and some...well done girl.

Lastly Pete Higson great tunes and what a hoot behind the decks...loved ya style....top blokethumbsup.gif one small niggle.....5 til 6 at burnley ain,t the grave yard shift biggrin.gif Burnley has always got better as the night goes on thats what makes it stand out and any time after 3 should be viewed as a challenge not the bums rush. Plenty of djs can do ok before 3.......only a certain type has whats required after that time cause it,s their duty to lift it not kill it.......as long as burnleys new man at the helm remembers this and has the djs with the right vibe for the right time of night it,ll be great........some of the best sets by phil,andy dyson,cliff camfield,karl heard and many more have all been after 3........thanks to everyone for a truely great night of music and frolics......peggy Babcock

I can only agree with what everyone has said. WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NIGHT :yes:

Without doubt one of the best, if not the best nights I have had at Burnley.

I thought the standard of music played last night was just outstanding. The mix of old and new, the cheap and not so cheap was absolutely bang on in my opinion and the busy dance floor from start to finish was proof that I was not the only one to think so.

People wanted to dance last night and dance they did :thumbsup:

Take a bow guys and gals... last night was a night to remember :D

Listen 'ere little legs, next time you bully me into getting really early then turn up late, I will stop all our jolly moments, ya know all them silly little things that make you chuckle...

No more port an lemon stories, no more doing the bump, in fact Mr Cog I won't even bother leaving my drink in your car to annoy you anymore OK ?

Reckon that's him told innocent.gifinnocent.gif lol

Know thats of my chest, blink.gif

Back to buzzing about Burnley, it really was a pukka night from start to finish.

Great line up of DJ's, who all played some top drawer tunage.

Dave Rivers and strawberry blond Kit pay back will be sweet I'm sure shades.gif

Gareth thanks for the grammar lesson, always good to see ya. I'll pass the MSG on to Anita.

Nice to meet you Phil, I enjoyed your set. Stuff you said made a lot of sense. Nice one, enjoy your holiday.

Look forward to next time

Dolly

Mike just saw your text, stop sulking !!!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Not sulkin glare.gifNew kid on the block eh whistling.gif

Now I don't know if this is even in the right place but I'll have a punt anyway. (BTW, thanks to K for the long, rambling nature of this post, and I'd like to thank him personally for my lockjaw, swollen knees and inability to pass water hypo.gif Worth it though mate, cheers thumbsup.gif )

Well, first of the new promotions at the Kestrel and here's how I saw it ... ... decent crowd in, particularly given that it's mid June and the difficulties surrounding the first planned event and it's eventual cancellation. Even more importantly though, they were all well up for it. Good numbers still there at the death and avin it.Obviously, folk will feedback as they see fit but I really enjoyed everyone's sets and even 'danced' [ahem] a bit. Here's my take on the night, for what its worth:

Stu Raith- as forecast, suitably creative mate to kick things off (as befits a Cyberman)

Ian C - nothing less than proper dancers of the highest quality as always

John Mc - first time I'd heard John play but judging by his sales boxes I reckoned on him having some serious tackle. Yep, Edith Brown etc etc etc, superb thumbsup.gif

Andy Killick - ohmy.gif I'm still kin speechless (but chewing nonetheless). Most of the first 10 or so records Andy played constituted the list of those tunes that I have never, always wanted and will never, ever own. Absolutely unbelievable (and a genuinely nice bloke too) hatsoff2.gif

Cliff - never ceases to amaze with his capacity to slot high quality, underplayed / forgotten dancers into his sets alongside [what I think Stuart refers to as] "them big lads". Dancefloor buzzing throughout his set which is ever so slightly disconcerting when you're up next;

Joan - any promoter(s) anywhere who are looking for someone to get it buzzing and pack the floor - beginning, middle or end, doesn't matter - she's your girl (as if you didn't know already). I don't think I've ever heard her play a crap record (they're all in that box and Tony keeps trying to sell me em laugh.gif );

Pete - what can easily be the graveyard slot was really enjoyable to these ears and you dug deep to show yet again that great records don't necesarily have to cost brewsters no.gifthumbsup.gif

While I'm still fucntioning, at some level anyway, here's what I can remember playing 3-4am:

Les Chansonettes - don't let him hurt you (Shrine)

Embraceables - let my baby go (Sidra)

Sandy Hadley - since I found a love (So Char)

CODs - coming back girl (Kellmac)

Don and Ron - I'm so so sorry (White Cliff)

Eddie Daye & Four Bars - guess who loves you (Shrine)

Soul Set - will you ever learn (Bi-Me)

Eris Mercury & Soul Searchers - lonely girl (Sac)

James Dockery - my faith in you is all gone (Soul Craft)

Cairos - stop overlooking me (Shrine)

Lonette - blue Jeans (MS)

Troy Dodds - try my love (El Camino)

Tommy Turner - lazy (El-Bam)

Billy Hines - ling ting tong (Wa-Tusi)

Oscar Wright - fell in love (Hemisphere)

Mr Caldwell - love bandit (Scorpio)

Stormy - the devastator (Twinight)

Carl Underwood - ain't you lying (Merging)

Stunners - nobody but me (Renfro)

Don and Juan - the heartbreakin' truth (Mala)

Oh aye, one or two requests as well:

Big Frank & the Essences - I won't let her see me cry (Blue Rock)

Jimmie & Entertainers - new girl (Toddlin' Town)

Luther Ingram - run for your life (Hurdy Gurdy)

Turned into a bit of a Stafford oldies set in the end; not what I was intending to play at all (thanks again K hypo.gif) but I really enjoyed playing em and watching Grant cut a rug to em. (Flip of Troy D for sure next time out bud). Barrie, thanks again for asking me to play some records; I thoroughly enjoyed it (more so than I have for absolutely ages) and I'm dead chuffed that things have started so positively for you. (Bet your a*se was twitching when Ian blew that amp up early doors though; kin liability he is tongue.gif )

Before I head off to chew my cheek and walk round in circles, whilst whistling, a bit more - great to see some folk that I'd not seen in a while and had missed such as Kit, Mal (Stockport legend), Willie, Bri, Dave R - really good to see you looking well again mate. One or two notable absences (Stu B of course, Salmon - hope you're well bud, Dickie et al); see you next time no doubt. Also, really good to put some faces to Soul Sourcers (John Mc, Terry, Andy K) and to meet other, genuinely nice bods such as Gareth and Dolly.

In a nutshell then, all good IMHO: people, music, venue.

See you at the next one for sure thumbup.gif

(Actually, I could have just said that couldn't I ohmy.gif Thanks again K hypo.gif )

WELL YOUVE SUMMED THE NITE ADMIRABLY PHIL - ALL EXPECTATIONS MET AND INDEED EXCEEDED FROM MY PART - A MASSIVE THANKS TO ALL THE DJ'S WHO MADE THE NITE ROCK - AND TO THOSE WHO HAD FAITH TO VENTURE TO THE CAVE TO SUPPORT THE FIRST NITE ,A SINCERE THANK YOU - I HOPE YOU WEREN'T DISSAPOINTED - TIL NEXT MONTH WHEN WE'LL BE STRIVING TO PUSH THE BOUNDS BACK FURTHER STILL - HAVE FUN AND THANKS AGAIN BARRIE

Fantastic..!!!!!....Burnley right back in the groove of all grooves. Lots of night time folk in attendance,great!!...Music....well up first mr Raith just aving fun with some nice listening/dancing tunes...Stu with a smile sooper!!...next new to me Ian Cunliffe,knew he,d have good tunes,but imagination?...no need to worry:smile: great spot. Andy Killick next....last two times i,ve heard Andy big and rare ,but not quite in the burnley groove...NOT THIS TIME what a fecking spot that man!!! he was up there really enjoying himself playing a sublime set of dance music and in the zone big time,greatthumbsup.gif Forgot me old mate john mcc..sorry mate...great tunes and he does it for the love (mainly of danny lol)...Clifford (the legend) Camfield up next...what is the burnley sound? this man epitomises it. Cliffs set THATS A BURNLEY SET starts of with a first time out f**kin corking unknown tune and never let up unknowns,underplayed,current plays and a sprinkling of pure magic....what Cliff does thats different is each set contains 2or3 underplayed gems that has folk saying "wow don,t this sound great" then he leaves em alone.This man knows how to play dance music by instinct TOPPP!!!.

Never heard Big phil T before...he played a slightly to mid tempo set for me,BUT it sure wern,t dreary and it had the dance floor oop and at em...he did good as a good thing and a fun bloke to boot.Joan next...what can we say about our Joan SHE NEVER FAILS TO GIVE HER ALL AS IF IT WERE HER LAST SET it was as is always from her double f**king kicking and some...well done girl.

Lastly Pete Higson great tunes and what a hoot behind the decks...loved ya style....top blokethumbsup.gif one small niggle.....5 til 6 at burnley ain,t the grave yard shift :D Burnley has always got better as the night goes on thats what makes it stand out and any time after 3 should be viewed as a challenge not the bums rush. Plenty of djs can do ok before 3.......only a certain type has whats required after that time cause it,s their duty to lift it not kill it.......as long as burnleys new man at the helm remembers this and has the djs with the right vibe for the right time of night it,ll be great........some of the best sets by phil,andy dyson,cliff camfield,karl heard and many more have all been after 3........thanks to everyone for a truely great night of music and frolics......peggy Babcock

Cheers, great to meet you Terrythumbsup.gif

That's precisely my point, it SHOULDN'T be the graveyard shift and it wasn't. One or two nighters seem to die on their arse at about 4pm and, as you say, it's up to the combo of djs, primarily, and dancers to ensure folk get the full 8 hours worth.

I was a tad shocked (but gladdened :wicked: ) to see more dancing to things like Troy Dodds and the Stunners than James Dockery and Eric Mercury ... ... eh? At Burnley :ohmy: I think something that is sometimes neglected by folk behind the decks is the need for both continuity and contrast e.g. on Friday, with Joan up next you know you're gonna get full-on dancers all the way.

I do always like to try and mix things up a bit in terms of some mid tempo bits n bobs but, as I say, you gotta play to the floor. At the risk of encouraging you to put a contract out on me :laugh: ... ... one of my real hopes is that the 'new' Burnley can maybe cater for a broader range of tempos than before, without losing the essence of what has proven so successful in the past - not just at Burnley but on this scene per se i.e. getting folk of their bums.

See you next time mate.

atb

Phil

Edited by PhilT
Guest Craig A Butler

Barrie,

So sorry I couldn't make it as had things that needed to be done at home.

By the sounds of it I really missed out too, but so glad it was a success for you.

See ya soon, Craig

It sure was a good night...just the thing to blow away the disappointment of the poor England result.

It was nice to see a good sized crowd coming out to support Barrie.......but more to the point (apart from a couple of hiccups with the sound system)...the night just flowed past. Same old friendly atmosphere...Mickey your looking well mate, keep it up. I'm glad you're getting settled Gillian. Willie don't forget the offer to come and stay for the 100club.

All the dj's I managed to hear put together really good sets...dance, dance, shuffle, dance, skip and twist....I certainly did. I love a good dancefloor with music that lets you enjoy it. One thing I noticed about Sat night...although a lot of what was played was stonking uptempo soul/dance I never felt strained or pushed into dancing out of my zone. Thanks & well done to all for that.

Right to the finish. Jackie Day..I Can't Wait...............for the next installment........it was well worth the trip up from London and me & Imogen with try our very best to return next month. Burnley still a quality night out.

Thanks again nights like this seem to be getting harder to find these days.

Kev

Well we got there at 9 cos Stu kicked the night off, and what a cracker, Burnley is back on the map.

Cannot say who did my favourite spot as they were all fantastic, haven't danced that much in a while, and yes I am suffering now with major knee swelling,. It was worth it.

Apologies Joan for leaving just before you ended and also Pete, but Stu dragged me away ranting_1.gif he went on some kind of weird outing today at 12!

Brilliant music, company, and great to see al the familiar faces. And then there is Louise...who kept me entertained, say no more laugh.giflaugh.gif.

Dave T what can I say she is unique.

See you all at the next one.

Penny

Yes it was a good night and most of the usual suspects were there.

It was good to see all the faces, especialy Rosemary out and enjoying herself.

Penny I take it Lou was on form (again) lol.

Well done Barry for putting this back on.

Well done all the DJs as well.

Dave.

Guest Pete Higson

Thanks for everyones comments about last friday and lets hope this is the shape of things to come, found myself a bit rusty to start with.

Done venus as of late whilst living in Preston but not done a nighter for over 30 years ( A tram shed in Leeds with Guy !)

I really enjoyed all the sets especially Joans who proved a hard act to follow.

Roll on next month !

Pete Higson

Guest Imogen

It was really good to be back at Burnley nighter after a nearly two year break. The music was quality all the way and I heard lots of record's that I had never heard before which was exciting. The vibe instrumental played towards the end of the night was brilliant. I was most impressed and inspired by John McClures set , very well put together. Really enjoyed chatting to Rosemary, Roger and Mikey. Thanks also to Gillian for the after party. .

Will definitely try and make it back next month

Imogen

• 4 weeks later...

Guest Pete Higson

last night at Burnley was quite something for me , to start with i met Calv and Sue who have been here since day one

A better couple you could not wish to meet

i started off doing my own thing til Geoff (Detriot)Buckley came along and didn't dissapiont ,

Fred was next with sounds to die for,i kept going up to look at stuff i could only ever think to own !

Mr cover up himself ,my learned friend Cam ,was on top form (need to know what that "back street thing was")

Danny Price followed Cam with some tremendouis unknown stuff (to me) which filled the dancefloor.

didn't realise what a quality collection Dolly had,! none stop dancing when she starts playing ,

Garry Farri took up the last spot with some oldies and top drawer soul at it's best .

still having an houir til 6 was spread over Gary, Dolly and myself ......i do like to finish !

None of the above comments from me were anyway patronising ,thats how it was , a bloody good night !!

Not forgetting Barrie Wadd who made all this possible , watch this space ....this one is gonna be a monster !

Pete Higson

Source Advert