Threads Thread

Simsy

All About the SOUL CLOTHING ;

Year's ago people wore string vests. They wore Wigan baggies, patent leather shoes, beer towels tucked through their belts. Girl's sewed weighted objects into the hems of their full skirts.

Now ... Nothing! Why's that then? Could it because people have grown a little older and don't give too much of a toss really what they wear to soul do's? I can remember owning and wearing baggy trousers and even patent leather shoes (never string vests or beer towels though). These days jeans and a dark top, so as to not look too much of a fright if I dance a lot and get all a bit sweaty. This the standard mode of dress for me.

I do see mods still smartly dressed at soul do's. But the northern soul scene is still as much of a scene as the mod scene or any other for that matter. So when soulies are still passionate about vinyl and other aspects of the scene, why not about clothes? Are northerners smarter than southerners, or midlanders? Or as I suspect have we all slipped into mediocrity when it comes to what to wear. Or should that be what not to wear?

PS, If you want to know who in the queue are soulies and who are interlopers; look at the shoes. Brogues or loafers; they're soulies. Anything else, they're impostors. Footwear is the only thing not to have changed over the last thirty years.

PPS, Keb & the Sub Keb's Hawaiian shirts and turned up jeans are exempt :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 130
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

PS, If you want to know who in the queue are soulies and who are interlopers; look at the shoes. Brogues or loafers; they're soulies. Anything else, they're impostors. Footwear is the only thing not to have changed over the last thirty years.

link

[/quote

Good holiday Ian :thumbsup:

Got to disagree on the footwear, I wear trainer type shoey things with rubber :yes: soles and a few people i know ware the same and others wear trainers :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thiknk you're seeing nothing there Ian, folks dress no different than they would on the night down the pub - which inslef is sometimes cool most times not.

Me, i allways try to look me best  :yes:   :thumbsup:

no need to reply. Ta  :thumbsup:

link

Mind if I do? You lost me at the beginning there Dave. Back in the day, folk wouldn't go down the pub in vest & baggs - you get me?

Social source share

I never put anything in the hems of my skirts cos I never wore them ... I wore black trousers which I still do (comfy and can't see the cider spills :thumbsup: ). I also wear flat black shoes for the same reasons as above and always have since I was about 17 (only last year :thumbsup: ) so nothing's changed in my wardrobe :yes:

Social source share

I never put anything in the hems of my skirts cos I never wore them ... I wore black trousers which I still do (comfy and can't see the cider spills  :thumbsup: ).  I also wear flat black shoes for the same reasons as above and always have since I was about 17 (only last year  :thumbsup: )  so nothing's changed in my wardrobe  :yes:

link

That sounds sensible (apart from the cider spills :yes: )

Would anyone concede at least that there was a sort of clothing fashion on the NS scene?

What about jogging bottoms and moccasins in the eighties, lol. With white socks!

Social source share

Tip top ta :yes:

How does one slide about etc in trainers? :thumbsup:

link

Its not the easyst of shoes to dance in...alittle talc helps i find leather shoes a bit to 'formal' and i can never find a decent pair that are smooth on the bottom for dancing, they all have nasty toggles or paisely type design on them....you know being the young hip trend setter that i am :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mind if I do?  You lost me at the beginning there Dave.  Back in the day, folk wouldn't go down the pub in vest & baggs - you get me?

link

I meant dont reply about me looking me best lol :thumbsup:

And i have just re-read your first post and, now, no, i dont get you. You start off saying people worre baggies, vests etc then say have they grown up so dont wear them anymore, then say why have we slipped into mediioricty. So, sorry mate i am not sure any more...

I love Haiwain and flowery shirts though and now you are a bit of a snappy dresser :thumbsup:

just not sure what your first post was about; I thought i did at first LOL

Social source share

I meant  dont reply about me looking me best lol  :thumbsup:

And i have just re-read your first post and, now, no, i dont get you. You start off saying people worre baggies, vests etc then say have they grown up so dont wear them anymore, then say why have we slipped into mediioricty. So, sorry mate i am not sure any more...

I love Haiwain and flowery shirts though and now you are a bit of a snappy dresser  :thumbsup:

just not sure what your first post was about; I thought i did at first LOL

link

Hmmm, maybe an edit needed if first post is not clear.

Is meant to spell out that people used to dress up a bit, uniform etc and now that has totally gone.

Social source share

Its not the easyst of shoes to dance in...alittle talc helps i find leather shoes a bit to 'formal' and i can never find a decent pair that are smooth on the bottom for dancing, they all have nasty toggles or paisely type design on them....you know being the young hip trend setter that i am :thumbsup:

link

Nice Loakes brogue mate :thumbsup: Smoothe sole for a smoothe soul :yes:

Social source share

Is meant to spell out that people used to dress up a bit, uniform etc and now that has totally gone.

link

Its not about as much i would say :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hmmm, maybe an edit needed if first post is not clear.

link

OK, yes, know what you mean. But that is not everyone, some are still smart and care about their appearance, is that not the same as most scenes?

Social source share

OK, yes, know what you mean. But that is not everyone, some are still smart and care about their appearance, is that not the same as most scenes?

link

Yes deffo. Croydon Cliff can talk solidly for twenty minutes about his dockers pants and always sports an expensive brogue.

Great thing about NS scene has always been the wear what you like policy. But by and large that has gone from the flamboyant dungarees and lamb chop side burns, to the mediocre short sleeved shirt, jeans and leather shoes. Infact I'm gonna count those dress types on Saturday night and add those stats to this thread. I'll be wearing something outrageous BTW. :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

Mr Abbott always looks incredibly smart, I was only saying to myself on Saturday what a fine smartly dressed young man that Dave Abbott is, its a pleasure to be assosiated with him :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mr Abbott always looks incredibly smart, I was only saying to myself on Saturday what a fine smartly dressed young man that Dave Abbott is, its a pleasure to be assosiated with him  :thumbsup:

link

No, can't argue with that Karen :thumbsup: And you're a fine pretty woman, any man can plainly see :yes:

Social source share

Mr Abbott always looks incredibly smart, I was only saying to myself on Saturday what a fine smartly dressed young man that Dave Abbott is, its a pleasure to be assosiated with him  :yes:

link

What are you after Karen yes.gif:thumbsup:

I must admit I tend to dress "down" for soul nights (as above black trousers etc) but if I'm going to a club/pub (which is very very rare) I tend to wear something a bit smarter only because most places won't let you in unless your wearing some sort of label on your clothes :thumbsup: In Stafford you certainly can't get into most of the pubs in trainers which I find shocking especially if you're on a pub crawl and you need to run from pub to pub to make sure you get them all in before last orders :yes:wink.gif

Social source share

No, can't argue with that Karen :thumbsup: And you're a fine pretty woman, any man can plainly see :thumbsup:

link

Why thankyou Mr Sims, I find that black is the best thing to wear at all times, no messing about then and black goes so well with black :yes:

Social source share

Rare to go out socially to something that isn't soul related unless it's family of course.

Dave make's some good points above about there still being some smartly attired individuals (himself included :thumbsup: ). But what is the modern day equivalent of the string vest, or the patent leather shoe?

I don't mean there should necessarily be any such uniformity these days, it's just that it seems to have slipped away without anyone noticing.

Social source share

No, can't argue with that Karen :thumbsup: And you're a fine pretty woman, any man can plainly see :thumbsup:

link

Ian, you can tell by the way I walk I am etc. etc.

think the thing is there are smart people and there are those mediocre and there's the scruffs who dont own a mirror....it'll allways be the same imo

Social source share

think the thing is there are smart people and there are those mediocre and there's the scruffs who dont own a mirror....it'll allways be the same imo

link

Have you actually seen your hair, like, ever?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

:thumbsup: i think I got that line wrong,sure it's "you're a fine pretty woman anyone can plainly see.."

Think the thing is there are smart people and there are those mediocre and there's the scruffs who dont own a mirror....it'll allways be the same imo

link

All you say is true. Point I'm not getting across too well is that, for example in the mid seventies soulies were identifiable to some degree by what they wore there was some semblance of a dress code and now there is none.

Social source share

Interesting, because the first time I met you, I had hair.

First time I dj'd at These Old Shoes, and it was only the second night ever there, I have a couple of photos from that and I have a fair bit of hair.

What happened after that, I don't know, but I suffered really bad alapecia around the 'beard and moustache area' which is still only just growing back properly (it grew back white instead of dark!)

So basically, it's ever since I met you that my hair disappeared. Bastard.

Social source share

So basically, it's ever since I met you that my hair disappeared. Bastard.

link

Disappeared? Your hair didn't disappear, it left home. It was fed up with you going on and on and on about how soul nites should be newie originals only, bootleggers should be shot and CD's burnt. I know this cos last time you had hair, me and your hair had a heart to heart in the, ahem, toilets.

It couldn't wait to jump ship (or scalp in this case). I didn't make your hair disappear I just helped it - gave it some money, tickets outta here, false passport etc. And now everything your hair stood for, you try to replicate, like your way of apologising to it. Well you dont fool me, I know deep down you are a 100% original, upfront soulie, unlike your hair...it's just a shame you two fell out...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Is that diamonte I see Dave wearing  :yes:

link

Above pic of dic & jan is from the same website as the fat fish shirt :thumbsup:

link

PML, where's that pic from Ian?! That was at the Cleggy all-dayer, 25th March, me J and Win popped up (fackin long way to pop, i must say!!). I bough Janine that t-shirt, we fell in love with it - 'northern soul' in glittery letters on the front. so tack it was brill. I did slowly walk away when she actually told the guy selling it that it was really tacky but brill... :yes:

And, yes Karen, well close, that is a 'D' i am wearing, though I doubt its diamonte but the real thing. John and Deanne May came along and she wanted me to wear it (well, i guess 'wanted' is a bit strong; couldnt stop me knicking it and putting it on more like) :thumbsup:

Social source share

All you say is true.  Point I'm not getting across too well is that, for example in the mid seventies soulies were identifiable to some degree by what they wore there was some semblance of a dress code and now there is none.

link

I see what you mean, but i think thats a good thing, i for one like to be individual. The problem of course does come when letting people in at a do you dont know who is a soulie and who isnt (BTW, I'm not saying dont let non-soulies in...)

Social source share

They'll wanna hear the Right Track :thumbsup:   It could end in tears :thumbsup:

link

LOL

Nah, if they're none soulies they wouldnt know what Right Track was... its when they come and ask for '3 gays in a Bar' that you worry (yes, that has happened to me while DJing) :yes:

Edited by DaveAbbott
Social source share

LOL

Nah, if they're none soulies they wouldnt know what Right Track was... its when they come and ask for '3 gays in a Bar' that you worry (yes, that has happened to me while DJing)  :thumbsup:

link

:thumbsup:

Non soulies are armed with more info than we may think thanks to the good folk at Sainsburys, Woolworths, Tesco's, KFC, Volvo, Persil etc etc.

Social source share

Don't actually remember string vests, but at one time a lot of people wore either a vest or T shirt with a sort of comic strip type of design that said "Dragonette" or something similar. I actually preferred the bowling shirt look with my 40" bags.

Paul

Social source share

I never put anything in the hems of my skirts cos I never wore them ... I wore black trousers which I still do (comfy and can't see the cider spills  :thumbsup: ).  I also wear flat black shoes for the same reasons as above and always have since I was about 17 (only last year  :thumbsup: )  so nothing's changed in my wardrobe  :yes:

link

Hi Mandy, I dont wear skirts - long story why! I wear black trousers a lot too, did then and do now! Just different styles! I wear flat black shoes, did then, do now! again difference style! I also wear for same reasons - comfortable to dance in then and now!

'Uniform', not compulsory - up to the 'individual', as long as you enjoying yourself doesn't matter!

Social source share

Now ... Nothing!  Why's that then? Could it because people have grown a little older and don't give too much of a toss really what they wear to soul do's? 

There was a guy at Cleethorpes on the Sunday night wearing the most incredible pair of bags I've ever seen. The trousers had about 4 ticket pockets on the back, were high waisted & were a small check. Does anyone know where trousers like that come from?

n do Loakes come in girls sizes? I'd like to dress a bit better at soul nights :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Mandy, I dont wear skirts - long story why! I wear black trousers a lot too, did then and do now! Just different styles!  I wear flat black shoes, did then, do now! again difference style!  I also wear for same reasons - comfortable to dance in then and now! 

'Uniform', not compulsory - up to the 'individual', as long as you enjoying yourself doesn't matter!

link

I think the practicalities of the female dark trouser wearer are just and if I were a bird, I'd probably be the same. It's a shame though as the full skirt and indeed all skirts (on women) are far more feminine than trousers.

Social source share

There was a guy at Cleethorpes on the Sunday night wearing the most incredible pair of bags I've ever seen. The trousers had about 4 ticket pockets on the back, were high waisted & were a small check. Does anyone know where trousers like that come from?

n do Loakes come in girls sizes? I'd like to dress a bit better at soul nights :thumbsup:

link

Don't know about the strides, but check out Loakes retail outlet; >Cool Edges< :thumbsup:

Social source share

There is a guy at Plinston, I forget his name (Big O could tell us), he sells baseball caps and polo shirts, and the last time I was there he had on the most outrageous pair or flared jeans I'd seen for some time. Don't see quite so much of that sort of thing these days.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert