Another Bobby Valentin On The Bay

Chalky

I'll try to sort a scan of the italian single label as soon as possible. Yes it's only DM Boogaloo on the other side but I much prefer singles than EPs, they play louder.

The other european release with similar sleeve design is from Germany, Somerset label and has "At the Party" and "No! no! no!" back to back. Very nice indeed.

Know what you mean about sound levels on E.P.s, though this one only seems to drop about 10% volume.

Yep, the other one is German Somerset yes.gif

Look forward to scan :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That sleeve is a portion cut from the pic sleev to the album  'King of the Boogaloo'

Would like to see label design if you could send me a scan :thumbsup:' />

Pretty sure my European (French Vogue?) 7" copy of 'No, no, no / At the party' uses same/similar sleeve design.

Would have to dig it out to check.

Doesn't the Bluebell release only have DM Boogaloo on flip?

The French Vogue E.P. has the bonus of having 'It's boogaloo time' on as well, which is another great track and as far as I'm aware, only had a 7" release on this E.P and on Argentinas Music Hall label (2 track 33rpm)

Yep a real nice sleeve that. But if you want Use it before you lose it, WHY would you pay well, well over the actual worth for a Bobby Valentin when you can get Tony Maneros version ( credited to B.V. ) for no more than 25 pounds. O.K. it was pressed in 2008 but it's as original as B.V. I spun my copy at Prestatyn and no-one knew the difference. Spose the purists will be on my back in reply to this but for crying out loud 1000 POUNDS ???????????????????????? i have 2 spare copies of the T.M. version if anyone is interested. Just go to refosoul to hear it. Then make your own mind up.

Social source share

Yep a real nice sleeve that. But if you want Use it before you lose it, WHY would you pay well, well over the actual worth for a Bobby Valentin when you can get Tony Maneros version ( credited to B.V. ) for no more than 25 pounds. O.K. it was pressed in 2008 but it's as original as B.V. I spun my copy at Prestatyn and no-one knew the difference. Spose the purists will be on my back in reply to this but for crying out loud 1000 POUNDS ???????????????????????? i have 2 spare copies of the T.M. version if anyone is interested. Just go to refosoul to hear it. Then make your own mind up.

I don't find the Tony Manero version that similar to Bobby Valentin. The production is very poor and the singing is just not good. I think it's a bit of a tailor-made just to fill demand for this tune. I've seen them playing on stage and they're pretty boring.

Social source share

That's the game he's in I guess. Gilles' name sells records, and he gets paid a lot of money to put those things together for that reason. Also he knows his stuff, and is simply the best DJ I have ever seen play in a club. His sets at Dingwalls in the late 80s are to me what Searling at Wigan, or Levine & Curtis at Blackpool are to many of the people on this board.

But yes that is digression.

Dean

He is of course a great DJ,

I really got into the vintage Brazilian things he was playing in the mid 90s at certain festivals, great memories.

He seemed to be everywhere in the 90s - Clubs - Festivals - etc

And he has complied fantastic compilations of course.

The future Jazz stuff - Jazzy house etc. from a few years ago I also found really interesting.

He is famous for Funk /Jazz/ Left field in the same way as Judge Jules is for House music isn't he.

With Radio 1 - DJ ing all over the globe - He has always been at the top of his game.

Of course he is entitled to pose on the cover of his compilations.

I shall wind my neck in

LOL

Social source share

Giles is certainly a hugley important guy when it comes to uk music and has great taste and an amazing selector but i always felt his weakest point was club djing. Weak not because he plays crap tunes great but because he cant mix and still tries too. If you cant mix just play great records one after another like they do on the northern scene.

A great club DJ like Theo Parrish can mix and play amazing tracks, now for me thats the pinicle of club djing.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

Mixing is a different sort of club scenario though, superb as it is when its done with passion and skill. The idea of scratchy old old soul and funk records being minced at 5am in the morning by ruined soul scene DJs is a horrible prospect laugh.gif

Also often the best part of many records is in the playout, which should be heard in all their glory imho.

Agree Petersen and Parrish are actually talented DJs though and a credit to British club culture.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert