Cleethorpes 2004

That was "Dave Flynns toggle getters" team Dave. Didn't they do terribly ;-)))

LOL was he on your team then?

~Go on Steve, give us a giggle and tell us what answers you put down ;-)))

• Replies 85
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As some of you already know it was touch and go as to if I would make Cleethorpes this year, indeed up until the Friday morning I was still pretty unwell, and had to take a "sick pack" for the trip up, basically a large container to throw up in, towels and flannels, this must have been the first time ever I have gone to a weekender without stopping in a pub on route and I was convinced it was going to be shite!

How wrong I was though, from the moment we signed in and got our wrist bands my sickness feelings and pains disappeared and I was on a (natural) cleggy high. Although we were booked on site I decided it might be better to have a caravan to ourselves off site as I wasn't too sure how I would cope with all night wibbiling sessions, this of course turned out to be a waste of money as soon as the address was made known as the normal wibblers still descended on us for most of the weekend LOL

A quick trip to Tesco's ended up being a session in the pub with Ali and John (who took great pleasure in buying me lemonades LOL) and also our bargain buy of the weekend a steam iron for £5.90 :-) Friday night we arrived at the venue at around 11pm (I think) and I only managed to stay still around 2am, unaided the 5 hour journey had taken it's toll on me and I needed some sleep.

Saturday I was up bright and bushy tailed to start preparing pastas and such for the BBQ, by noon the caravan was full with bleary eyed friends who had all overdone the night before, had some great fun annoying the men who were fishing next to our caravan, even the offer of burgers, kebabs and hot dogs didn't put a friendly smile on their faces so we went all out to be annoying git's, which was quite successful, we made Winston a rod out of bamboo sticks, cotton from a spare quilt and a hook of the net curtains. Thanks to Alison, John, Hannah, Winston, Karen, jessica, Greg, Neil, Andy and Chalky for all making it a great afternoon, and Caroline for the home made chocolate cake, I hid a large slice of it for myself twas out of this world!

Saturday night we arrived at the venue just after the first song by the Diplomats, it's common knowledge that im not a live act lover, but in all fairness they were good, was funny to hear so many people (Kegsy) ask when the skull snaps would be on stage (didn't anyone apart from me read the brochure before going?)

The DJ's as always played some brilliant stuff and the great atmosphere kept me awake till well past 5am, I was rather pleased with myself at this point and still completely clean :-)

Sunday we were up and about early prepping ourselves for the quiz, this involved me deciding enough was enough and downing my first cider of the weekend, arrived at the venue and could only find one fellow team member (a large group of us do the quiz together every year) the rest of them were sending me texts complaining that their legs weren't working properly and couldn't get along. As most will already know by now our team of 3 won this year, which is a great excuse to fly back from Australia next year to defend our title :-) Picked up a few lost souls and returned to the caravan to feed water and wash them before returning to the venue for Sunday night.

Well, I had had enough of being good and went for it BIG TIME, and so glad I did, the party of all party's, managed to squeeze onto the dance floor for a few spins and witness Mick and Louise having a jive, they did pretty good actually and im convinced that they have been having dancing lessons!

Monday morning and for the first time ever after a weekender I was feeling able to handle the 5 hour trip back to Kent, big thanks to all involved, promoters, DJ's and friends for a fantastic weekend

Janine

x

Guest Johnny One Trout

DIDN'T ANYONE ON THIS SITE VISIT THE MODERN ROOM?I THOUGHT LAST YEAR WAS GOING TO BE IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT BUT THEY DID IT ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT,PACKED FRIDAY,SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.WELL DONE TERRY,IVOR,ADAM AND THE REST OF THE GANG WE'LL NEED A BIGGER ROOM NEXT YEAR.

TAFF

Modern room! where was that then? and more to the point why??? Thought it was a soul weekender ;-))))))

You wouldn't know a Soul record if it jumped up and bit you on the Arse!!!!!! ;o)))

John

Guest Johnny One Trout

had some great fun annoying the men who were fishing next to our caravan, even the offer of burgers, kebabs and hot dogs didn't put a friendly smile on their faces so we went all out to be annoying git's, which was quite successful, we made Winston a rod out of bamboo sticks, cotton from a spare quilt and a hook of the net curtains.

Personally i thought they were very rude indeed!!!!!!!!

I only asked why the there were 14/15 people all fishing around the tiny pond outside your van (At first i thought that your toilet had a leak the pond was that small!!!!) Anyway this very rude man turned to me and said why don't you just F**k Off!!!!! This is a competition oooooh i could have crushed a grape ;o))) Kin hilarious though there couldn't have been anything bigger that a stickle back in that pond and they all seemed to have 20ft match rods for christs sake the pond wasn't even 10ft across!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

For some reason i wasn't feeling that hungry at the BBQ so didn't even get to tatste the cake the not very strong Vodka and Wine punch was nice though ;o))

I'm proud to say I NEVER went inthe modern room this year! In yeasrs past I have been forced in to keep various mates company for the odd half hour or so, but was sober enough to say no this time :-)

Guest Johnny One Trout

Plain rude if you ask me ;o)

In fact as rude as a fisherman ;oP

Anyway this year you were tucked up in bed before things even started warming up ;o))

John

Guest taffy

I'm proud to say I NEVER went inthe modern room this year!  In yeasrs past I have been forced in to keep various mates company for the odd half hour or so, but was sober enough to say no this time :-)

you must have been too busy doing all those quizzes to come and listen to some of the best and longest running soul dj's in the country i.e terry jones, ivor jones,andy davies,arthur fenn,cliffe steele etc.imagine them as a team in the quiz.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Ahhh Taffy poor misguided Taffy i take it you don't know Janine then ;o))

Not only would she never willingly admit to liking a "MODERN" record but by the same token she would never admit that what is played in the Modern room was in fact soul so QED How could Terry, Ivor, Athur or Cliffe ever hope to even score a point in a soul quizz??

She is very sweet though just as long as you don't talk music and you keep your hand on your lighter ;o))

Janine's Dad (by proxy)

Guest micksmith

I DID HEAR THROU' THE GRAPEVINE THAT ROGER STEWART WAS GIVING ADVISE ON SOME OF THE QUIZ QUESTIONS BUT WHO WAS HE ADVISING????????????????

Guest Kolla

BUT WHO WAS HE ADVISING????????????????

If that old smoothie Roger was helping anyone... by my powers of deduction it would have to have been someone that

A - hangs around the record stalls all the time and

B - can make him laugh

OH! ... that'll be Janine then. LOL :P ))

We asked Roger to be on the team, but he didn't want to, so as an advisor we bought him a drink out of the winnings ;-) You was allowed up to 5 team members, and I know that one table who submitted an entry had over 12 all of who I could name!

you must have been too busy doing all those quizzes to come and listen to some of the best and longest running soul dj's in the country i.e terry jones, ivor jones,andy davies,arthur fenn,cliffe steele etc.imagine them as a team in the quiz.

Indeed Terry is a great DJ when he does a 60's spot as he did at TOS earlier on this year, and a gent too boot when I gave him a lecture on the merrits of 60's over disco shite :-))))

The weekend was great enjoyed all of it. Thanks to Kirsh, Met the Notts crowd and apart from going home to bed for a few hours kip spent most of the weekend in there caravan, dancing or talking bollox to some pour unfortunate soul, went in both rooms and enjoyed the music in both Vive la diferance I say. Well done to Pete on winning the dance comp nice to see some one win for dancing without floor work. Looking forward to next year

I'll view the jibes at the Modern room as "tongue in cheek", but i split my time between both rooms ( as well as the connoisseurs), heard and "Danced" to some quality SOUL, the likes of Bobby Hill "Tell Me You Love Me" also the late great Edwin's "Running Back and Forth" even had a groove to Patrinelle Staten's "Little Love Affair" (yes, that was played in the "Modern Room")all in all quality tracks in all the rooms, don't give a toss what year a song was recorded, as long as it reaches deep inside then thats what counts to me.

Guest SteveC

That was "Dave Flynns toggle getters" team Dave. Didn't they do terribly ;-)))

LOL was he on your team then? 

~Go on Steve, give us a giggle and tell us what answers you put down ;-)))

1. No

2. Got Disco with me at the moment assisting to compile our Anniversary CD but our memories our very vague still. Banksy thought the answers funny though.

Our theory, was that it is far better to fail terribly than to get a few right. Therefore after scanning all the questions and seeing there were none on The Eurovision, The Beach Boys or talking bollox we thought it best to get maybe minus points if possible.

Some answers we think were

Q. 1st Cleegy attendance = 12,432 and a half

Q. What do these 3 Adys tunes have in common A = He always plays them.

Q. What is the most common 45 label color A = Pink

Q. What do these 45s have in common (ON quite a few questions) A = They are played on the northernsoul scene (we could NOT be wrong!)

Q. Dunno but Status Quo was in the answer.

And a lot more bollox we can't remember.

We were not going to put our sheet in till we found out Ady was gonna stitch Steve up on the Sunday nite games. (steve then in turn stiched Molly up).

Its not the taking part, its the losing....

Dave & Steve - The Toggle Chasers

Oh say can you see

By the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed

At the twilight's first gleaming...

(You'll have to imagine the audio for yourself...)

-- Jess

Which bit made you laugh?

The having more hair or the "Extremely Soulfull" bit LOL

I know what my moneys on

hopefully it was on the hair, so you cashed in:)

don't really spend a lot of time in modern rooms nowadays so can't really comment on em, which is not a dig at them, just that nowadays dont bother with venues who's "northern" dj booking policy used to make trips to modern room a regular part of nite

he was Karen, then every now and then when a disco choon was played he jumped up and started doing those weird house moves with his hands and swinging his hips! Quite impressive for a welsh man ;-)

Guest bluevodkababe

Met the Notts crowd, spent most of the weekend in there caravan, dancing or talking bollox to some pour unfortunate soul Well done to Pete on winning the dance comp nice to see some one win for dancing without floor work. Looking forward to next year

Hey up! Glad you enjoyed our company lol

Was a great weekender and we are looking forward to next year too.

Only one downside to Pete winning the dance comp, theres one more thing to dust!!!!

Well done babes xx

Miff, if we don't see you at Carole and Tony's wedding at the end of July, catch you next year, oh say hi to Kirsh and Helen for us

tc

Pete & Loll

Source Advert