Is There Room For 70s In The Northern Room ?

Guest taylormadesoul

Guest taylormadesoul

I MYSELF BEING "BANG" INTO MY 70s SOUL...

I FEEL I MUST ASK WHAT OTHER "SOULIES" THINK...........

OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS, SOME OF THE BIGGEST FLOORFILLERS HAVE COME OUT OF THE 70s...

BROWN SUGAR - THE GAME IS OVER

ACE SPECTRUM - DONT SEND NOBODY ELSE

BOBBY REED - THE TIME IS RIGHT FOR LOVE

BILL HARRIS - AM I COLD AM I HOT

THE LIST GOES ON AND ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

• Replies 109
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS, SOME OF THE BIGGEST FLOORFILLERS HAVE COME OUT OF THE 70s...

THE LIST GOES ON AND ON  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

link

They're all sh*t and life would be much better if they didn't exist :ohmy:

Social source share

link

Well when i first went to Clifton Hall back in the early 80's (Some 20 +years ago)

70's and even fairly new releases (Curtis etc) where getting spins so in my experience this has always been a part of my personal soul odyssey.

So to answer your post, yeah absolutely, you can even hear 70's sounds occasionally at the 100 club, which is reknowned for it's strong and exceptional 60's playlist.

Brett

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

I THINK THATS THE REASON WHY I RATE "WILTON" AS THE BEST NIGHTER AT THE MOMENT,,,,,

A MUSIC POLICY ....WHERE THERE IS NO POLICY...

FANTASTIC SOUNDS FROM THE 60s - Y2K

AS MUCH AS I ALSO LOVE THE 60s SOUNDS....I THINK THAT THERE IS ENOUGH

QUALITY 70s TO COMPLIMENT EACH OTHER.......

Social source share

Always was (well, since 1st January 1970 of course) and always will be a place for it. Nothing wrong with having personal preferences or 60's only nights of course but the true Northern room should embrace both decades (and dare I suggest even a little early eighties, how brave is that LOL) to retain its authenticity.

Social source share

WITH THE UPPERMOST RESPECT "PETE"

TUNNEL-VISION AND DINOSAUR SPRING TO MIND........................

link

Like I give a toss what anyone thinks - I know I've got better musical taste than you so why argue about it?

I hate smug people who think justbecause they like 70's records they think they are a cut above anyone who doesn't like it.

Social source share

Like I give a toss what anyone thinks - I know I've got better musical taste than you so why argue about it?

I hate smug people who think justbecause they like 70's records they think they are a cut above anyone who doesn't like it.

link

thats because we are pete :ohmy:

mark

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PETE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOUCHED ON A RAW NERVE HAVE I HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

DONT YOU JUST LOVE THE SOUL SCENE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL ABOUT OPINIONS ,

THERES NO RIGHT AND NO WRONG

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC WE ALL LOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  PETE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOUCHED ON A RAW NERVE HAVE I      HA HA HA  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

link

Er...no...I couldn't give a toss about 70's or whatever...you are free to like whatever you like and vice versa. I'm just winding you up and you're the only one on the board who doesn't realise. Well done!

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Er...no...I couldn't give a toss about 70's or whatever...you are free to like whatever you like and vice versa.  I'm just winding you up and you're the only one on the board who doesn't realise.  Well done!

link

yeah, really funny wind up :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Always was (well, since 1st January 1970 of course) and always will be a place for it. Nothing wrong with having personal preferences or 60's only nights of course but the true Northern room should embrace both decades (and dare I suggest even a little early eighties, how brave is that LOL) to retain its authenticity.

link

and some new releases.....there has always been new releases played on the scene

my personal favourite today is free by jaguar wright - definitely a main room tune IMO

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Er...no...I couldn't give a toss about 70's or whatever...you are free to like whatever you like and vice versa.  I'm just winding you up and you're the only one on the board who doesn't realise.  Well done!

link

Pete , casts his rod and evryones bites ..... sound familar......

it means there is never a dull day in Wulverhumpton :ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Cmon lets face it the "northern soul" tag has gone and its whatever is good and good to dance too thats getting plays now,.........however there was one guy who told me at a venue that he hated modern 70's + stuff and only liked Good Northern Soul like there playing tonight ......not two minutes after he'd been bouncing around to Phyliss Hymens you know how to love me. :ohmy:

I nearly pissed myself....oh and anybody who knows me, knows i buy from the Falcons 60's to Nate evans 2005 love all soul and yes theres plenty of room for it in the ..................... soul rooms whatever their so called maufactured titles are.

Pete found that copy of D.I.S.C.O. OTTOWAN YOU WERE AFTER :lol: :lol:

Geoooordie

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

ANOTHER EXELLENT "NEWISH" RELEASE BY JAGUAR WRIGHT

ONE MORE DRINK b/w COME OVER

MCA RECORDS # JW001

CHECK IT OUT....

link

she shouldn't have tried woman to woman though - blasphemy

have you heard her version of love, need and want you though? - sublime - kelly who? thats the problem with contemporary r&b, too many squeaky voiced manufactured artists at the forefront and so people don't look behind

been listening to ray ray a lot recently too - that man (rapael saadiq) is a genious - on par with curtis (mayfield) IMO

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

WITH THE UPPERMOST RESPECT "PETE"

TUNNEL-VISION AND DINOSAUR SPRING TO MIND........................

link

why did you bother asking if you answer like this the first different opinion you get

Davie

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

SHALL CHECK IT OUT..DONT KNOW IT....

SEEMS WE ARE STARTING A MODERN FORUM...

OUCH !!!!!!! BEST STOP WHILE WE ARE AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GET BACK ONTO 70s.........

Social source share

SHALL CHECK IT OUT..DONT KNOW IT....

SEEMS WE ARE STARTING A MODERN FORUM...

OUCH  !!!!!!!  BEST STOP WHILE WE ARE AHEAD  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GET BACK ONTO 70s.........

link

nowt wrong with a modern forum, by the way does us a favour and try typing with your caps lock off please :ohmy:

Social source share

don't you just hate going to a northern night and here the same old same old played out old oldies  :ohmy:   :lol: most were being played 30+years ago

move on :lol:

link

Thing is you can go to a Northern night and here wishy washy 70's that been played out more than some oldies :lol:

I love seventys myself, but some can get very boring, a seventys tune will catch on and it will get hammered and hammered, you end up detesting said tune's IMHO

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Thing is you can go to a Northern night and here wishy washy 70's that been played out more than some oldies :ohmy:

I love seventys myself, but some can get very boring, a seventys tune will catch on and it will get hammered and hammered, you end up detesting said tune's IMHO

link

agreed, very good point :lol:

bluddy hell....is this turning into a sensible discussion about 7ts/modern?

lets get back to some sectarian abuse :lol:

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

I agree , i love the 60s sound, but there is so much top notch music out there to

listen too and enjoy,,,,why just stick with one era,,,

that i cant understand,

nothing wrong with that i suppose....

but ive always had the thought if its good ,it doesnt matter what decade its from

Social source share

link

thats because people who like 7t's generally are a cut above the rest of you 60's yinky dinky danky do only 60's earth worms! :ohmy:

Social source share

I think that the best 70`s tracks are so popular because us old folk can happily dance to the slower tempo and not need a lung/knee/back/ankle transplant after a session on the dancefloor. :ohmy:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

don't you just hate going to a northern night and here the same old same old played out old oldies  :ohmy:   :lol: most were being played 30+years ago

move on :lol:

link

you should have been at Hemel the other week!, god help us!, left at 9.30 just before the tablet trolley and tea & biscuit trolley came round! :lol:

Social source share

link

Had all the above and 'binned 'em'.

They start out as so so records in the first place then reach the new dizzy moribund heights as 'Norvern Modern clazzzzics'.

With the exception of Bobby Reed I suppose coz the flip and Better side still has some yardidge!

Social source share

Had all the above and 'binned 'em'.

They start out as so so records in the first place then reach the new dizzy moribund heights as 'Norvern Modern clazzzzics'.

With the exception of Bobby Reed I suppose coz the flip and Better side still has some yardidge!

link

Fair comment...Ace Spectrum is one of THE most overplayed tracks regardless of era :ohmy:

Social source share

Fair comment...Ace Spectrum is one of THE most overplayed tracks regardless of era :ohmy:

link

If it didnt have that break in it where everybody looks around at each other thinking "watch me, I can clap in time to this" it wouldnt be played. Might as well be an instrumental! :lol:

Social source share

I THINK THATS THE REASON WHY I RATE "WILTON" AS THE BEST NIGHTER AT THE MOMENT,,,,,

A MUSIC POLICY ....WHERE THERE IS NO POLICY...

FANTASTIC SOUNDS FROM THE 60s - Y2K

AS MUCH AS I ALSO LOVE THE 60s SOUNDS....I THINK THAT THERE IS ENOUGH

QUALITY 70s TO COMPLIMENT EACH OTHER.......

link

i have been ever present at the Wilton for 5 years or so now and the recent playing of that Y2K stuff leaves me feeling cold.

I hate to hear it at the Wilton to be honest.

I can hear that kind of soul in my local trendy bar/club. I don't mind it in those type of places but not the Wilton.

Just my opinion.

Shane

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

how can anyone not like

MELVIN BROWN & JAMES MATHEWS - LOVE STORMY WEATHER

sublime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70s at its BEST

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source