• Views 18.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Chris's next dance class is on WEDNESDAY 6th OCTOBER - same time, same place:

Venue: Boston Arms, Tufnell Park, London (next to Capitol Soul venue)

Time: 7pm to 11pm

There is a two hour lesson which includes warm-up and techniques, followed by a two hour mini-soul night.

Social source share

I was wondering if the Trickster would publish a course sylabus, cos i have specific needs, but cannot get all the way down to London town.

In particular I would be interested to hear how to exit the dance floor, from a horizontal position, following my dire attempts at spinning around and around at NCSC on saturday. I'm not sure if getting dragged off by the ankles is entirely kosher.

Also does is it generally recommended to wear head protection or body armour whilst learning to perfect the more hazardous moves? I do keep smacking the side of my head on the grill pan handle whilst giving it large to Connie Austin's -She made a Mistake. Is it the anticipation of waiting the break?

On a serious note, what is going to happen when these young upstarts from down south get it going and blow the 'old guard' out of the water....? Hee Hee i can't wait and suggest taking a trip out Prestwich, where in my experience anyone under the age of 30 gets scowled at and asked "are you a f#ckin' student or what?"

Is it right that KRL is a broker providing third party cover those concerned about flying limbs and ravers knee?

Social source share

On a serious note, what is going to happen when these young upstarts from down south get it going and blow the 'old guard' out of the water....? 

Hey hey - for ONCE you don't need to worry about "southerners". From what I hear, it's the Japanese kids in Trickster's class (Kebu Darge-san proteges) that are picking up steps and improvising at a frightening pace.

Social source share

I don't see why everyone is getting in such a fankle. It is, at the end of the day, a laugh. I don't want to see the northern scene losing the 'bad' dancers though - it's part of the appeal.

Can someone keep me posted on how the classes go? I suggest a Kids From Fame - type format... you know with Leroy, Dorothy and Bruno skipping about while Mr Shirovsky mumbles in the background. wink.gif:lol:cool.gif

Hammy

Social source share

I refuse to provide the soul source wolves with anymore carrion to toss around. You'll get Class Dates and Times from me and that's it. :lol:

Yours Arabesquely

Ms Debbie Grant

Social source share

The last dance lesson was indeed a laugh, we all joined in and it provided a great excuse to chat about it and gain confidence. I know (Janine) Trickster sometimes has a certain turn of phrase but he doesn't mean anything bad by it, he wants good dancers down there too.

Are the people bitching about this such great dancers that they have nothing to learn?

See you Wednesday

Social source share

The last dance lesson was indeed a laugh, we all joined in and it provided a great excuse to chat about it and gain confidence. I know (Janine) Trickster sometimes has a certain turn of phrase but he doesn't mean anything bad by it, he wants good dancers down there too.

Are the people bitching about this such great dancers that they have nothing to learn?

See you Wednesday

link

I think the dance classes are a great idea. I just think it's a shame that he has chosen to clash directly with Soul in the City which has been running for a long time on the first Wednesday of the month, and shall continue to do so. :rolleyes::thumbup::D

So much for london 'promoters' supporting each other and trying not to clash with each others events etc.

Martin

www.soulitc.co.uk

Social source share

I honestly don't think Chris was aware of this. His thinking behind the date was to put the class on the closest wednesday to the monthly 100 club so people could go to the class then go to a local event to put their steps into practice before they forgot them.

I will definately mention the clash to him - if he can't change dates, he could maybe work around it - bringing people from the lesson down to SITC afterwards.

Social source share

• 10 months later...

Just to let everyone know that Trickster (Chris Harvey) is starting up his dance classes the week after the August 100 Club.

Music provided by two top London lady DJS! 

For further details contact Chris directly (tel no on flyer below)

link

:yes: Must be Val Palmer & Jo Wallace there aren't any more Top London Ladies :ohmy: tounge in cheek :ohmy:

Jon Buck

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

:D   Must be Val Palmer & Jo Wallace there aren't any more Top London Ladies  :D

Jon Buck

link

I'm sure that'll please the ladies of London Jon :thumbsup:

Social source share

whistling.gif   :P THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH !!!!

I HAVEN'T SEEN ION THE GREEK FOR A WHILE,IS HE GIVING ADVANCE LESSONS?

link

Caps lock stuck there Jon,or is you eye sight going?

Social source share

Caps lock stuck there Jon,or is you eye sight going?

link

YOU KNOW ME KENNY,TYPING AND GOOD EYESIGHT WHERE NEVER MY STRONG POINTS -JUST LOOK AT SOME OF MY EX-BIRDS :Pthmbdn.gifwhistling.gif:P:shhh:

Social source share

Why people think this is a bad idea really is beyond me. If cetain people believe that this would improve their confidence when at soul nights, or even get some new blood on the scene then that can only be a good thing.

As for all those in favour of serving the infamous "northern soul dance apprenticeship", then i take it you would choose not to use a calculator in a maths exam because its cheating and would opt for an abacus, then sit there with your heads held high safe in the knowledge it took you three days longer to complete than everyone else.

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

Why people think this is a bad idea really is beyond me.

"What is so bad with people learning Northern the Traditiional Way??

If cetain people believe that this would improve their confidence when at soul nights, or even get some new blood on the scene then that can only be a good thing."

-----------------------------------------------------

I don't buy into that argument darling, i was one of those who lacked an awful lot of confidence as a youngster and it is only now as i've got older that i have felt really confident on the dancefloor,as for new blood, those who are truly atrracted to the scene will be there regardless

========================

As for all those in favour of serving the infamous "northern soul dance apprenticeship", then i take it you would choose not to use a calculator in a maths exam because its cheating and would opt for an abacus, then sit there with your heads held high safe in the knowledge it took you three days longer to complete than everyone else

==============================

]That's like saying that it is now acceptable to play cds or mp3s at nighters, imho, these dance classes are a bit like giving birth without pain, what is so wrong with watching the seasoned dancer and learning in a soul environment, at our Northampton do last saturday, there were a few faces who came back from the previous soul outing, trying their fledging moves, a couple of them said to me that they knew they were not very good dancers but enjoyed the music, i said to them, dont worry you enjoy yourselves the rest will follow if you want it too. Del x laugh.gif

link

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

hi chaps, i'm just back from a short holiday so i missed the chance to stick up for chris

him and etsu are great people, always friendly to everyone, and an asset to the scene

also, they always make time to welcome and encourage young newcomers - where a lot of us only seem to be intolerant if they don't understand the unwritten protocols (oh no....it's another drinks on the dancefloor thread on soul-source!!!!)

yeah, it is funny the idea of trying to teach people to do northern dancing (why would anyone want to dance like us? :thumbsup: ) but if we don't have new tunes and new people cummin onto the scene then it's gonna end up just another boring revivalist-nostalgia scene for neo-teddy boys with beer towels and baggies

i say fair play to him for getting off his arse and doing something positive to bring the scene forward into the noughties

smile.gif

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

JUST LOOK AT SOME OF MY EX-BIRDS

alright jon

birds?!! :thumbsup:

i always thought you were gay smile.gif or is the male attention unwanted? :thumbsup:

'appi daze :shades:

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Guest Trifle

Why people think this is a bad idea really is beyond me. If cetain people believe that this would improve their confidence when at soul nights, or even get some new blood on the scene then that can only be a good thing.

As for all those in favour of serving the infamous "northern soul dance apprenticeship", then i take it you would choose not to use a calculator in a maths exam because its cheating and would opt for an abacus, then sit there with your heads held high safe in the knowledge it took you three days longer to complete than everyone else.

link

Well said PaulB. :unsure:

Too many soulies are stuck in the narrowminded approach of "you should/must agree with me, cos I know best" or "I didn't do it that way, so why should anyone else". :lol:

FFS, live and let live. whistling.gif

Social source share

Well said PaulB. whistling.gif

Too many soulies are stuck in the narrowminded approach of "you should/must agree with me, cos I know best" or "I didn't do it that way, so why should anyone else". :lol:

Blimey Trifle, that sounds like a few women I've known !

I'll get me tin hat :unsure:

Social source share

Well said PaulB.  :unsure:

Too many soulies are stuck in the narrowminded approach of "you should/must agree with me, cos I know best" or "I didn't do it that way, so why should anyone else".  :lol:

FFS, live and let live.  ohmy.gif

link

What I want to know is why Jon brought this thread back to life after being dormant for a year?

Something not quite right about NS dance lessons imo. Think I know what it is that troubles me about them. If it is possible to teach someone how to dance NS style, then they're being fast tracked and in doing so missing out on the discovery experience.

Nationally speaking the rare soul fan is in a minority, but if you love the music, it should move you. In through the ears and out through the legs. :P

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

:lol:   Must be Val Palmer & Jo Wallace there aren't any more Top London Ladies  whistling.gif   tounge in cheek  :thumbup:

Jon Buck

link

Get that tongue straight out of your cheek Jon :D And how dare you call us ladies :tumbleweed3: Nope, it deffo isn't me and Val.........who could it be :lol: You'll all have to pop along to find out :P Good luck with the classes Chris...Jo
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I'm sure that'll please the ladies of London Jon  :tumbleweed3:

link

And I'm not from London - I'm from Cha'am, chav :thumbup: and Val is from Cardiff. We just happen to reside in London....... whistling.gif Jo

Social source share

Chris's first dance class was a great success.

For anyone interesting in getting involved, the next dance class / session will take place on WEDNESDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER.

For full details of time and place and contact numbers refer to the first post on this topic.

link

Hi!

If i lived in London i'd be there for sure, it's surprising that nobody came with the idea of northern soul dancing lessons before. Me and some friends from Barcelona (Ana among them, for instance) rented a little room for a while in order to practise, lack of self discipline (and room!) ended it all though, but i'll be starting capoeira and jazz dance lessons in september, all in order to make my dancing better.

Mind you, want some "young blood" in NS scene? Have 20-30 great dancers in each big allnighter and you'll have any newcomers interested in knowing more about the scene.

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catface

The dance lessons are a great idea. I went to Trickster's lessons last year and learnt alot so I hope he will be doing some more. To all those people scoffing on here - it cannot be learnt from just watching at a soul do!

Social source share

The dance lessons are a great idea.  I went to Trickster's lessons last year and learnt alot so I hope he will be doing some more.  To all those people scoffing on here - it cannot be learnt from just watching at a soul do!

link

Never had a lesson in my life!!but then i cant dance :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

The dance lessons are a great idea.  I went to Trickster's lessons last year and learnt alot so I hope he will be doing some more.  To all those people scoffing on here - it cannot be learnt from just watching at a soul do!

link

surely you dont mean this?

That means that everyone who dances these days has been to a class - which ain't true.

Shane

:thumbsup:

Social source share

link

Thats where alot of your present "top" northern dancers learned their moves, and in the bedroom/living room at home. Ya NEVER practise on the dance floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

=============

Not sure you're right there 'Catface'. If everyone went to classes, northern dancing would be very uniform, and it's anything but that.

Winnie:-)

P.S. That's not to say don't go to classes, everyone should do as they wish, but classes don't make you feel the music, and that's paramount when dancing IMO.

Social source share

I am considering starting some Modern Soul dancing classes fairly soon, but attendees would have to provide their own equipment initially :shhh: . Obviously, if they are a big success then I will look at providing some basic apperatus later on down the line.

Social source share

Guest catface

I think some people can probably pick it up easier than others by watching! Alot of great dancers such as Karen Bedford actually have a dance background (correct me I am wrong Karen) so northern soul moves would come easier to them. Maybe men find it easier to just get up and have a go at it?

Social source share

I find this topic a bit disconcerting. I live in spain & the idea of going to 'sevillanas' or 'flamenco' dance classes seems (to me) mildly ridiculous. you've either got it or you haven't. the spaniards, I'm sure, find it all very amusing & consider all north europeans to be a little 'two left footed'. it's a question of 'duende' or 'soul' if you like. now I haven't 'got it', but I don't really give a tinker's cuss one way or the other. if the guy or gal in front of me is 'better' than so be it. who really cares? macca

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Where would you be doing those Miles?

link

catface, i will let you know if i hear about any dance classes.....i will also let you know if i hear about any courses in spotting a 'wind-up' too :lol::shhh:

Shane

Social source share

I am considering starting some Modern Soul dancing classes fairly soon, but attendees would have to provide their own equipment initially :lol: . Obviously, if they are a big success then I will look at providing some basic apperatus later on down the line.

link

We have a nickname for modern dancers.... bobbyheads :shhh:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I'm sure you're an excellent dancer anyway Shane so you don't need to be bothering about anyone wanting lessons.

link

for fcuks sake.

when did i ever say anything negative about dance classes?

If you trace back to when we first talked about classes you will see i was in full support. I only disagreed with your claims that people can not learn from just watching at soul nights.

I also saw a 'wind up' from a previous member regarding modern classes and I stepped in to tell you just that.

I suggest you try to read a post more carefully before replying.

Shane

Social source share

I am considering starting some Modern Soul dancing classes fairly soon, but attendees would have to provide their own equipment initially :shhh: . Obviously, if they are a big success then I will look at providing some basic apperatus later on down the line.

link

Are there any really good modern dancers on the scene?

Col.

Social source share

I spoke to Trickster about the dance classes.

Think he finds it amusing that it's such a 'big' subject on here.

As I said before, I went along to support Trickster and had a great time and so did the people who came along. :)

The people who came along where people who did not feel the confidence to go to a soul do and dance. Hopefully now they do. In fact I have seen a few of them places and they were enjoying themselves - dancing - which is what it's all about!

We all have our own take on this, mine is 'who is it harming?' if people want it and enjoy it - then why not!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

I dont know why people worry so much. Just get on the floor and have a go.

Its not as if it is intimadating anymore. Back in the day I can understand the dancefloor being a scary place to a newcomer. Considering the average age and fitness of the dancefloor these days, people new to the scene should find it easier to blend in.

As for acrobatics, newcomers shouldnt feel pressured into learning all that. I cant think of anythink worse than an out of shape, middle-aged bloke chucking himself about with his legs in the air. That part of scene was owned by the youngsters at Wigan etc with the odd current exception obviously.

I aint against dance classes but I do believe that if they do exist it also puts pressure on newcomers too. If I was to bring a newcomer along and informed them that dance classes were available I am sure they would be surprised how serious it all is. Which in effect takes away the fun a little for them. Only my opinions though.

Just get on the dancefloor and step side to side to begin with. The week after try a little bit more.

Shane

Social source share

I dont know why people worry so much. Just get on the floor and have a go.

Its not as if it is intimadating anymore. Back in the day I can understand the dancefloor being a scary place to a newcomer. Considering the average age and fitness of the dancefloor these days, people new to the scene should find it easier to blend in.

As for acrobatics, newcomers shouldnt feel pressured into learning all that. I cant think of anythink worse than an out of shape, middle-aged bloke chucking himself about with his legs in the air. That part of scene was owned by the youngsters at Wigan etc with the odd current exception obviously.

I aint against dance classes but I do believe that if they do exist it also puts pressure on newcomers too. If I was to bring a newcomer along and informed them that dance classes were available I am sure they would be surprised how serious it all is. Which in effect takes away the fun a little for them. Only my opinions though.

Just get on the dancefloor and step side to side to begin with. The week after try a little bit more.

Shane

link

I agree with what you say - in parts - but there will always be some people who will feel 'intimated' by seeing others dance, especially newcomers, I dont think the dance classes where ever meant to be classed as serious, but a bit of fun for all to enjoy and most of all, give confidence - not to worry about what others think and do your 'own thing', no one expects everyone to be a good dancer - what is a good dancer? someone who loves the music! I love to dance but I also love watching others dance, especially coz people have their own style - wot its about!

Social source share

I agree with what you say - in parts - but there will always be some people who will feel 'intimated' by seeing others dance, especially newcomers, I dont think the dance classes where ever meant to be classed as serious, but a bit of fun for all to enjoy and most of all, give confidence - not to worry about what others think and do your 'own thing', no one expects everyone to be a good dancer - what is a good dancer? someone who loves the music!  I love to dance but I also love watching others dance, especially coz people have their own style - wot its about!

link

And if the lights are too bright, just take 'em out & smash 'em up.

Or were you just in a bad mood at Brighton?

Col :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

And if the lights are too bright, just take 'em out & smash 'em up.

Or were you just in a bad mood at Brighton?

Col :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

link

Sorry having problems replying, says I have too many 'emoticons'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert