Linda Jones - Hypnotized Lp (Loma) - Stereo & Mono Releases?

Is this LP available on Loma in Stereo and Mono versions?

I have the stereo recording on Loma and, to be honest, have always thought of it as a very weak sound in production terms. Although Linda's voice is without parallel, the backing arrangements seem rather thin, especially the strings.

This was borne out recently when I got hold of the LP as a Canadian mono release (didn't know there was one until I got it). What a difference, what an improvement. Some tracks almost sound as if they are different versions, but are not. Instead the orchestral arrangements are brought much more to the fore, have considerably greater depth, as do all the instruments, and so give a much punchier and meatier feel and sound.

One track in particular, the album only - If only we had met sooner - is, to these ears, absolutely stunning when compared to the almost insipid stereo recording. What plays as a potentially danceable, but pretty weak track in stereo suddenly becomes a mid-tempo dance floor gem with a years-ahead-of it-time crossover feel in mono. Magnificent!

Is there a mono version of the LP on Loma, and am I alone in thinking the mono recording of this LP is far superior to its stereo counterpart?

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

yes the lp did come out as a mono issue L 5907, totaly agree with you about it sounding better, took me a while to locate my copy but worth the wait, most copys that come up for sale are stereo, difference in the front cover , on the stereo version there is an orange band on the top and sides with stereo printed top center, mono version orange banding on bottom and sides.

Never seen a canadian copy.

cheers Rob.

Social source share

One track in particular, the album only - If only we had met sooner - is, to these ears, absolutely stunning when compared to the almost insipid stereo recording. What plays as a potentially danceable, but pretty weak track in stereo suddenly becomes a mid-tempo dance floor gem with a years-ahead-of it-time crossover feel in mono. Magnificent!

I think that is why the Turbo version is the preferred version that gets played out. Mike

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As an aside, every copy I've ever seen over here has an odd deletion hole in the sleeve...nothing unusual about that per se, but, the hole has a little metail circle in it as if punched in...very neat...no idea why they felt the need to re-inforce the hole!

:hatsoff2:

Got a few 60s Warner Brothers-related albums with the metal cutout hole, Dave (including a mono 'Hypnotised'!). Never seen that method used elsewhere, must be peculiar to Warners' own returns department of the period...

Social source share

Thanks to all for posts.

If you put the Canadian and American covers side by side, you'll see that the Canadian one has a purple-blue outer frame. On the American cover it's purple-red. The magenta colour of the inner frame is the same on both.

The Canadian also has 'Printed in Canada' placed on top of 'Printed in USA'!

Social source share

Have to say I really do not like the later Turbo version. The arrangement is terrible, it's dreadfully over-produced, and it sounds as if it's an out-take that should have been left in the can. Sorry! ph34r.gif

Don't apologise - you make a good point - the stereo effect on the strings was always off putting to me swirling in and out and like most things on Turbo poorly produced and pressed , that said it is preferred version -even with one or two of my mates.

Mind I think it a bit of an over statement to say 'almost insipid stereo recording' wink.gif about the Loma version - I tend to listen to it in the context of the album rather than as a potential floor filler - and the album - mono or stereo - would always be in my top 10!

ps I will be seeking out a mono copy - never given it a second thought before now!!

Social source share

ps I will be seeking out a mono copy - never given it a second thought before now!!

I too never thought of any of the differences between the Mono and Stereo releases. Checked mine today and its Mono with the same details mentioned before. Mine also has a deletion hole in the bottom right of the sleeve, but sadly no metal circle. I wonder what price differece the cutouts with and without the metal circle is..... :thumbsup:

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert