Just Soul (And Then Some)

I spent part of last Saturday night in the 'main' room @ Bridlington surrounded by people, many of whom wore 'traditional' northern soul garb,baggie trousers, circle skirts, badges etc. dancing to popular solid northern soul oldies.

This Saturday I was at a very well appointed hotel near Retford surrounded by people without a pair of baggies, circle skirt or badge between them but sharing something very special with the crowd seven days previous.

Sharing a love and a passion for soul music.

That's where the similarity sort of tails off but it does show we all share a common heritage in musical taste.

The Just Soul crew titled their event as Just Soul so as not to be pigeon holed in any genre and leave the options for the dee-jays open to play just soul music.

In a way this has backfired because, with it's popularityand ability to deliver the diversity of soul that it does it has itself became a sort of genre, the Just Soul genre.

It's a place and an ethos that draws people from both the old 'southern' soul (south of Watford) and old 'northern' soul (north of Watford)and has both 'groups' appreciating the tunes served up with equal gusto.

You see Just Soul isn't really Just Soul it's that and a whole lot more.

It's a place where the soulful content of a record is placed into the foreground, not it's rarity or value.

At Just soul a tune worth a grand can be played side-to-side with a ten-bob tune and both be appreciated equally.

At Just Soul it is not obligatory to dance to enjoy the tunes (although many do) they are appreciated for what they are... Just Soul.

I feel privileged to have stumbled upon this 'movement' because it has filled that gap for me, that gap in my soul that was never quite filled by pure northern oldies, cross-over, modern or any other single genre onthis scene.

Attending a Just Soul event isn't just about turning up and taking from it what ever one wishes from it (although that can and does happen) it's about sharing and celebrating all that is good in soul music.

The tunes at this, the sixth just soul event that really worked for me (besides the plethora of Bobby Womack's spun in honour of his recent tour) were - Arthur Connely - Take A Step In My Direction, The FourWonders - Just Looking For My Love, Johnnie Taylor - Poor Make Believer and Bettye Swann - Today I Started Loving You Again. I say these are the ones that really worked for me but, to be honest they were only a modicum above every other tune in the four and a half hours I managed to attend this event.

If you have never been to a Just Soul event, if you really are looking for something new to do and if you have an open mind and a love and passion for real soul music then you really could do worse than pop along to the next event, where all you will hear is Just Soul, and then some.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yet another absolutely 'top drawer' night at Just Soul. The boys hit an incredibly high level of quality on the first night, and to my ears maintain without fail. I can honestly say that at all of the 'Just Soul' nights I have been to I have only heard one tune I didn't love to bits (it was 'I want Sunday back again' - don't know why, just don't like it!) last night was Womack heavy - good!

All I can say is keep it up boys, it improves my quality of life enormously, knowing that there is another one just coming up, and judging by all of the other happy faces last night I'm not the only one.

Take it easy fellas,

RB

My first,and MrsH,night at Just Soul.Don't know why.In the re-furbished Olde Blue Bell,Tats,Sean and the guys treated us to the most thought out sets i've heard for a long while.But the funny thing is,,its made to look and feel so easy.Many tunes not so familiar to me,being out of the loop.Never the less,loads of soulful tunes to keep us more than happy.

Plenty of Womack on offer as to be expected,Betty Swann - "You gave me love" early on.Some one played "Hodges ,James ,Smith,Crawford - "I'm in Love" sublime stuff.Add in a lovely crowd and setting.

See you all in November....

Edited by KevH

how good was that!

numbers down compared to last summer - but if I'm honest I was glad as this year we could breathe and didn't have to keep going outside to get some fresh air!

tune after tune after tune after tune - what's there not to love!

actually guys - I do have one complaint, that last 2 hours went by in 10 minutes so can we have an hour longer... a 3am finish would be perfect. go on - you know it makes sense

Guest sharon k

Oh yes....................... another top night, top tunes, top crowd, see you all in november x

BTW.......Grand central skegness sat 16th july guesting TATS TAYLOR & CHRIS FORREST !

how good was that!

numbers down compared to last summer - but if I'm honest I was glad as this year we could breathe and didn't have to keep going outside to get some fresh air!

tune after tune after tune after tune - what's there not to love!

actually guys - I do have one complaint, that last 2 hours went by in 10 minutes so can we have an hour longer... a 3am finish would be perfect. go on - you know it makes sense

Hear hear! Actually 4am would be better, then I could squeeze another outfit in :thumbup: Bully's dulcet tones leading the singing on the packed happy dancefloor are still ringing in my ears. The hospital reckons they might be able to save the hearing in my right ear, lol.

Great venue, nice floor, friendly discerning crowd, top tunes to listen AND dance to, with DJs who aren't up their own arses (except in the privacy of their own homes laugh.gif ), and even a decent breakfast the next day :lol:

Thanks guys,

Theresa Price

Staff Photographer

Retford Daily Bugle

Pics here: Just Soul July 2011 pics

Guest Adam G

Yes as usuall a excellent day in a great place with great company, meeting people, having a beer or two in the garden before the main event.

As usuall I overdid it again still suffering as I type.

I wish that I would'nt keep getting my glass spiked with four more pints than is safe for me !

Brilliant music (" Lets get together" Bobby Bland my highlight) great sets and to the people who do like the ethos of the night it was as good as all the rest and they were pretty damn near as perfect a soul night) as I like. Which other night could keep a full dance floor to "Harry Hippie" and even slower tunes.

I know there was a lot on and people made their choices and I'm glad I made mine.

Just Soul is as told to me by one of the Promoters of my other favourite soul night of the last ten years the much missed "The Orwell"

" This is a like the natural continnuation from the Orwell" which it in my opinion it is and more .

Roll on November.

If you want to go mind the Hotels already booked up !

Hear hear! Actually 4am would be better, then I could squeeze another outfit in :lol: Bully's dulcet tones leading the singing on the packed happy dancefloor are still ringing in my ears. The hospital reckons they might be able to save the hearing in my right ear, lol.

Great venue, nice floor, friendly discerning crowd, top tunes to listen AND dance to, with DJs who aren't up their own arses (except in the privacy of their own homes :thumbsup: ), and even a decent breakfast the next day :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

Theresa Price

Staff Photographer

Retford Daily Bugle

Pics here: Just Soul July 2011 pics

giz a job? sad.gif

Well l can only echo what the previous posters have said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just soul, Just fantastic,,,,,,,,night started a bit slower than usual but the last 2 hours were sublime, the liver and legs took a right old bashing :yes: the night should come with a health warning l reckon

And was that speaker in the back room loud or what, surely dave ray must need a new spleen after standing in front of that all night :lol:

Well done Just soul crew, cya for another instalment in november :lol:

Another top night of Quality soul music with the Just Soul crowd, a few regulars missing but plenty of new faces from all around the country, good to meet Zane and Fiona from Scotland.

Loved the singalong to Lamont Dozier and the Womack fest, brilliant ..... !!!!!!!.

Thanks to Sean,Tats,Kev,Bully and John.

Will post a few piccies in Gallery in next few days

See you all soon

Paul,Sue and Elaine :thumbup:thumbsup.gif:g:

Well Folks, looks like I am the first of the DJ's to offer my ten penneth worth!

All I Can say Folks is what a SUPERB Night that was..........!

On A Weekend that was crammed with other events to tempt you........the ones that made their choice as "Just Soul 6" were plentiful, although numbers were down, we were privileged to quite possibly the most Soulful Crowd there could be!

I would like to Thanks You all for making your choice as "Just Soul" and Roll on the 12th of November!!!!

We Can Do It All Again!

I know that the other Guys will agree with me, VERY MANY THANKS Folks! Bully! Leader of The JS Choir! thumbsup.gif

Well l can only echo what the previous posters have said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just soul, Just fantastic,,,,,,,,night started a bit slower than usual but the last 2 hours were sublime, the liver and legs took a right old bashing :g: the night should come with a health warning l reckon

"And was that speaker in the back room loud or what, surely dave ray must need a new spleen" after standing in front of that all night laugh.gif

Well done Just soul crew, cya for another instalment in november :thumbup:

It Could Have Been Worse Biz.........he could have been next to meyes.gif

A HUGE thank you to all those Soulful People who made Saturday night, what many are saying, the best Just Soul yet!

The crowd were buzzing from the get go and the Music was Warm & Soulful for a full 8 Hours... Just the perfect Summer Sizzler!

Coops, you're a Poet. Thank you.

We look forward to doing it all again in November.

Follow us on FACEBOOK to be kept informed of all things just soulful - JUST SOUL and keep an eye on the website Just Soul

The Just Soul Movement continues! :0)

:thumbup:

Sean

8 hours of pure soulful heaven , the short spots from everyone meant the music was constantly changing ,although not diminishing in quality , but remaining JUST SOUL throughout the night , not one repeated track or a duff tune no.gif, a special night spent in the very best companyyes.gifyes.gif , see you next timethumbup.gifthumbup.gif