45cellar

• Replies 21
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

According to Terry Wilson's book "Tamla Motown", Dave Godin felt that since he already had the TMAS

and the Stateside releases carried the "A Tamla - Motown Production", he felt that Motown should use

that name for all U.K. releases. Berry Gordy proposed the idea to EMI who okayed the new label.

Social source share

We had Columbia, Fontana, London, Oriole, Stateside.

Eventually Tamla_Motown

I think there is a similar pattern in other countries, as in Motown Group recordings appeared on other local labels before 'Tamla Motown' kicked in...happened over here in Japan with initial releases appearing on the Globe label. As with the UK (TMG501), the Supremes', 'Stop In The Name Of Love' (Japan code = MOT1001) was the first Japanese release to bear the classic Tamla Motown script logo on the sleeve, although the 7" labels kept just the name, Motown, on them.

:thumbup:

post-9555-0-65125400-1315104465_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-30010100-1315104495_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here in NZ there is Stateside stuff pre the pink Tamla Motown ones.

...In Australia there were a few Motown releases on His Masters Voice (Fingertips, Mickey's Monkey, When The Lovelight Stars Shining Through His Eyes etc.) before Staateside and, subsequently, T-M.

Before that, W & G released at least one (and possibly more) Motown 45 - 'Do You Love Me' by the Contours.

I'd show you all a scan of it - only I seem to no longer be able to post scans on here since the last round of alleged 'upgrades' to the site... ranting_1.gif

BTW the UK T-M logo was apparently designed by an in-house EMI art person in about 5 minutes flat, after Berry Gordy rejected a bunch of considerably more elaborate ones that he'd spent days creating. BG liked the simplicity and a legendary logo was born!

Social source share

...In Australia there were a few Motown releases on His Masters Voice (Fingertips, Mickey's Monkey, When The Lovelight Stars Shining Through His Eyes etc.) before Staateside and, subsequently, T-M.

Before that, W & G released at least one (and possibly more) Motown 45 - 'Do You Love Me' by the Contours.

I'd show you all a scan of it - only I seem to no longer be able to post scans on here since the last round of alleged 'upgrades' to the site... ranting_1.gif

BTW the UK T-M logo was apparently designed by an in-house EMI art person in about 5 minutes flat, after Berry Gordy rejected a bunch of considerably more elaborate ones that he'd spent days creating. BG liked the simplicity and a legendary logo was born!

When replying press more reply options,attach files bottom left Tony

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I'm 100% certain no country before the U.K..

The launch of the label coincided with the Motown Revue tour and TV special.

From the EMI house magazine "EMI plans to launch the new label on March 19th (1965)"

The tour kicked off at the Astoria, Finsbury park on March 20th.

The label launched with 6 singles, 6 EP's and 6 LP's.

From RECORD MIRROR, week ending March 20 1965:

gallery_6836_1066_15930.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

When replying press more reply options,attach files bottom left Tony

Like this you mean?

...Still a a lot of unnecessary faffing about compared to the old way of doing things, IMO. One of the things that SS could ways pride itself on was the easy navigability of the site. Not any more, though, and it seems to me that it's becoming harder to navigate on a monthly basis.

Change is not always for the good...

Social source share

Like this you mean?

...Still a a lot of unnecessary faffing about compared to the old way of doing things, IMO. One of the things that SS could ways pride itself on was the easy navigability of the site. Not any more, though, and it seems to me that it's becoming harder to navigate on a monthly basis.

Change is not always for the good...

Tony

i doubt if will ever convince you of either why needed or the advantages of upgrades etc

however the upload feature has always needed a new page open

one small thing just to demo one advantage, when posting now

if you use the "my media" button in the editor

you will now be able to repost that attachment or indeed any attachment you have ever posted on here anywhere you want

without leaving the page

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Years ago I remember checking out the U.K. trade mark applications for that period. I expected to find the Tamla Motown logo trade marked but I think they just trade marked the words.

Thinking about it that made sense because you couldn't have the logo without the words and it gave them flexibility if they wanted to change the design.

I probably took copies but where would they be now . . . . . . . . . . . ??!!

MB

Social source share

Tony

W & G in Australia also released the Marvellettes "Please Mr Postman" and, amazingly, Bunny Paul's "I'm Hooked".

But it all started in Australia with Bob Kayli on London (that's if you count Bob Kayli as a Motown record) and then Barrett Strong "Money" and the Miracles "Shop Around" both on London.

Then there was the Spinners "That's What Girls ... " on Aussie Astor in 1961 (again that's if you count the Spinners as a Motown record) and then, as you say, HMV and Stateside and finally Australian Tamla Motown.

Also, interestingly, there was actually an Australian Tamla Motown Appreciation Society, based in Melbourne, whom I understand were associated with Dave Godin and the UK counterpart.

Social source share

According to Terry Wilson's book "Tamla Motown", Dave Godin felt that since he already had the TMAS

and the Stateside releases carried the "A Tamla - Motown Production", he felt that Motown should use

that name for all U.K. releases. Berry Gordy proposed the idea to EMI who okayed the new label.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This is bang on as the correct info. Any other mention was verbal and any written reference to TAMLA-MOTOWN is coincidental. :thumbup: DAVE K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert