Shorty Billups Shake Off.. How Many Labels?

Guest stromberg

Guest stromberg

hi folks,

with the current discovery of the release on the helpp label, it has come to my mind that my copy of this great track is on a label called Solid Gold Records. the name sounds like a reissue label, but it doesn't look like one.

So, with collectors mentioning 77, Garpax, Helpp...what about this label? ranting_1.gif

I've never seen one for sale since i bought my copy on us ebay.

can anyone help with any info?

many thanks,

Cheers,

Stefan

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Helpp version isn't really a 'current discovery' or is it?

I know a couple of collectors who have had it for like ages. Anyway,

it's interesting to see Manship refering to the Garpax version

as the first one. Wasn't this a later version? Sounds more

'modern' anyway with that funky bass and all.

Best,

CB

Edited by cC B
Social source share

hi folks,

with the current discovery of the release on the helpp label, it has come to my mind that my copy of this great track is on a label called Solid Gold Records. the name sounds like a reissue label, but it doesn't look like one.

So, with collectors mentioning 77, Garpax, Helpp...what about this label? ph34r.gif

many thanks,

Cheers,

Stefan

Soul Bowl had the Shorty Billups issue on Solid Gold 7" on their last list for £500, according to my mate. Haven't the foggiest if it's another alternate version...is it?

Social source share

Bid on a Solid Gold issue but bid low as I wasnt sure if it was a re-issue or even the same version. Made $85 in the end I think and I still haven't heard it. Re the Helpp issue, that's been about a long time. definately rarer than Garpax but no-where near as good in my opinion. That bouncy bassline makes the record for me and the helpp one doesn't have this.

Stefan would you be interested in selling your copy? PM me if so, got some ncie trades of similar style I can offload.

Social source share

Best,

CB

The "Garpax" 45 date`s 1977.

Dave f.................

Social source share

Guest stromberg

Bid on a Solid Gold issue but bid low as I wasnt sure if it was a re-issue or even the same version. Made $85 in the end I think and I still haven't heard it. Re the Helpp issue, that's been about a long time. definately rarer than Garpax but no-where near as good in my opinion. That bouncy bassline makes the record for me and the helpp one doesn't have this.

Stefan would you be interested in selling your copy? PM me if so, got some ncie trades of similar style I can offload.

the John Manship auction text made me wonder about my copy, personally i didn't think that the helpp issue is a recent discovery, but who am I to doubt JM ph34r.gif

the Solid Gold one has the mix/ version with that great bassline, just as the Garpax has one, no?!

So, Helpp and 77 both are having the little 'earthier' mix, right?

The solid gold issue is credited to Shorty Billups, not Eddie Billups!

Billy, will pm you later tonight,

Cheers,

Stefan

Social source share

hi folks,

So, with collectors mentioning 77, Garpax, Helpp...what about this label? :rolleyes:

many thanks,

Cheers,

Stefan

Just to confuse things further I have the 77 version and the instrumental of

'Shake Off That Dream on 'Sound of Gold' credited to Eddie Owen. Notice on the 77 version

that the producer is Linda Owens so I assume Eddie Billups, Shorty Billups and Eddie Owen are all the same. Instrumental is okay but you really miss the vocals.

Saint

Social source share

Best,

CB

been about years as far as I know Christian.

Social source share

'Shake Off That Dream on 'Sound of Gold' credited to Eddie Owen. Notice on the 77 version

that the producer is Linda Owens so I assume Eddie Billups, Shorty Billups and Eddie Owen are all the same. Instrumental is okay but you really miss the vocals.

Saint

________________________________________________________________________________

Don't think Eddie and Shorty are the same person, on the flip of the Helpp & 77 version "Try something new" Eddie makes referrence to Shorty Billups so I presume its his brother or sister?

Edited by Gringo
Social source share

Saint

This is the one I have. Does any one have any further info on this ???. I s this a completely different mix or is it the same as one of the other releases, if so which one ???.

I am getting quite confused too, so can some one explain pse which versions came when, on what label & which mix, with sound files pse, as I know I need this on 7 , but I am now completely flumuxed as to which release I need.

I need that 'bouncy bassline' that Billy mentions, hellllppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pse.

Russ

Social source share

This is the one I have. Does any one have any further info on this ???. I s this a completely different mix or is it the same as one of the other releases, if so which one ???.

I am getting quite confused too, so can some one explain pse which versions came when, on what label & which mix, with sound files pse, as I know I need this on 7 , but I am now completely flumuxed as to which release I need.

I need that 'bouncy bassline' that Billy mentions, hellllppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pse.

Russ

Just found my 12 on Sound of Gold. Tracks are Shake of that Dream (bouncy mix)/Sweet Sweet Love/Dynamite Explosion/Try Something New - Credited to Eddie Owens.

At the top of the label it says 'Sounds of NY & Tennessee'.

Also states dist worldwide by Queen Contance Records. Heavenly Star ASCAP Linda Owens.

Number is SG8383 & 'Dream' is the first track on the A side, altho the labels says this is an LP ?????????????????????????????????.

Any one have any more info, also answers to my last post on this pse.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert