Luther Ingram On Hurdy-Gurdy

Hi all

I'm looking for some background information please on:

Luther Ingram - Run For Your Life (Hurdy-Gurdy)

I believe this was an East Coast label. Can anyone tell me where is was located please?

Also, checking out Luther's discography on soulful kinda music I spotted a comment that the track was recorded In 1966 but not released until 1971. Can anyone shed any light on that? :g:

Also interested in further background info on the Harrison Brothers' and Douglas Gibson versions.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Cheers Chalky

There are so many Detroit-related 45s with blurred boundaries - and Robert Bateman's name appears on a few

Others include the Ric Williams labels - Boo and Zodiac - which although Chicago labels I believe, were heavily Detroit recorded and produced on several releases

Makes this collecting lark interesting anyway

Presume both the Harrison Brothers and Douglas Gibson recordings were Detroit recorded - anyone confirm please?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

It makes me wonder whether I'd been going to venues with earplugs in for all these years, as it was only whilst on a visit to Tim Browns Anglo-American records,back in March that I came across a copy, and on putting it on the turntable.....from the opening bars it blew me away!......Naievity or ignorance on my part methinks :g:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Rich,

Robert Bateman worked out of New York & Detroit

The confusion arises as the first Hurdy Gurdy release # 100 was New York and written by Robert Bateman & Thomas Glascoe.

I believe "Run For Your Life" was Detroit, 3 reasons -

1. it's BRIANBERT MUSIC which is of course Brian Holland who Robert partnered on many early sixties Motown 45s.

2. If that ain't Mike Terry on the Baritone sax, then someone is doing a very good impression of him.

3. Label design resembles nothing like any other New York label; where as Hurdy Gurdy 100 is classic style N.Y. label design with 2 bars and block text.

Robert moved around -the percentages point tow\ards it being Detroit.

Hope that helps..

Social source share

Rich,

Robert Bateman worked out of New York & Detroit

The confusion arises as the first Hurdy Gurdy release # 100 was New York and written by Robert Bateman & Thomas Glascoe.

I believe "Run For Your Life" was Detroit, 3 reasons -

1. it's BRIANBERT MUSIC which is of course Brian Holland who Robert partnered on many early sixties Motown 45s.

2. If that ain't Mike Terry on the Baritone sax, then someone is doing a very good impression of him.

3. Label design resembles nothing like any other New York label; where as Hurdy Gurdy 100 is classic style N.Y. label design with 2 bars and block text.

Robert moved around -the percentages point towards it being Detroit.

Hope that helps..

Cheers John - thanks - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert