Doh! Why Did I Sell That?

Ever had a record through your hands, then sold it on only to find, it getting plays and going massive on the northern scene, with the price rocketing. Bet theres a few stories here, C`mon don`t be shy, heres two for you, i used to get tapes off a mate, i bought a couple of things off him which wern`t getting played at the time, and sold them on for £6 and £8 respectavly, the records THE IVORIES-DESPENZA & DANNY WOODS-CORRECTONE :thumbsup:

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I list stuff on here, don't sell it, so sell it off cheap, 6 months later someone's playing it and it's three times what I was selling it for, literally too many examples, just need to look at some of my lists from a few years back. Like I'll have something like Sweet Nothins cry baby cry on a white demo, no interest, 2 weeks later it's on JM auction and goes for 3 figures..

Social source share

I list stuff on here, don't sell it, so sell it off cheap, 6 months later someone's playing it and it's three times what I was selling it for, literally too many examples, just need to look at some of my lists from a few years back. Like I'll have something like Sweet Nothins cry baby cry on a white demo, no interest, 2 weeks later it's on JM auction and goes for 3 figures..

Ive got a few of my own boot marks on my arse too Pete :wicked:

Social source share

I think a few know this story but for the benefit of those who don't -

In the late 80's I was given a handful of records and amongst them was The Parisians - Twinkle Little Star - Demon Hot. Now, at the time I liked it and tried playing it out at a local place I used to run but I couldn't help but wonder if the lyrics were cool or not!

Anyway a few years later I ended up selling some records to Dave Vanner and I let him have it for £2.00 - Yep £2.00! As soon as I sold it I regretted it as I'd had it a while and don't normally sell any. Anyway about a week later I asked if I could buy it back but he wanted to keep it, which was no problem and there was no animosity. I asked again every so often and two years later, which by then it was going well up in price, my good friend Dave sold it back to me for....£2.00! C/w a big smile on his face saying... "Lenny, let that be a lesson to you, never sell ya records!"... Because of that I haven't really unless 'needs must' things like having to feed the kids etc.

So at least a happy ending, it's the type of record I need as it's now a good 'back up' if my set goes a bit rocky (Yep, it's used quite often!) lol

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

yeah that's what i tell my self Toad........

worst example for me other than the bloody Colt 45's I always mention. I bought a black issue of Tony Galla at the Brighton record fair in the 9ts for £20, guy said he was sick of Northern, and promptly sold it for £50.............

Social source share

Thinks that's going to be a common comment throughout this thread!

Think we best not go down the then and now thing with the prices, more of having something that wasn`t really known when you had it, then once sold it went on to greater things, otherwise there will be lots of people living very painful memories :yes:

Social source share

Sold "Drifting" by Claude Huey on MIOB in a pack of 5 records to someone on ebay for $25 or so because I couldn't imagine it being worth anything, OOPS!

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

So at least a happy ending, it's the type of record I need as it's now a good 'back up' if my set goes a bit rocky (Yep, it's used quite often!) lol

should have played it at Tobes party :wicked:

Social source share

I bought that off of you Pete.

Social source share

remember when i used to get record lists from "Groove City" SOUL BOWL as they changed too

rang up for a record - sorry sold it

well what about this one -------- gone sorry

well you know what us record buyers are like - cant keep the money in our pockets

what about this thing on PEACHES - YOU LEFT ME - sounds a good record for 15-00

yep got that --- so did i

played it a few times - no one said hey thats good , so i thought i would move it on

minshull offered me 30-00 -------- good deal i thought as no one else ever asked for it ----------dooooooh

he sold it on next time i saw him for BIG MONEY

Social source share

remember when i used to get record lists from "Groove City" SOUL BOWL as they changed too

rang up for a record - sorry sold it

well what about this one -------- gone sorry

well you know what us record buyers are like - cant keep the money in our pockets

what about this thing on PEACHES - YOU LEFT ME - sounds a good record for 15-00

yep got that --- so did i

played it a few times - no one said hey thats good , so i thought i would move it on

minshull offered me 30-00 -------- good deal i thought as no one else ever asked for it ----------dooooooh

he sold it on next time i saw him for BIG MONEY

Double DOH!!! That one :thumbsup:
Social source share

should have played it at Tobes party :wicked:

....I was waiting for that one! :yes::rofl::lol:

You may want to explain that for the benefit of others..."I think I'm gonna need me Twinkle Little Star, considering the crowd, I recon I've had it if someone else plays that tonight!" :D

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Another one - Kinda funny in hindsight, to show you just can never tell!

I'm pretty sure it was again, the late 80's, I remember worrying that Keith (yes you Keith!) may be getting a bit too good a deal when you offered me a trade. I wanted to buy Otis Lee - Hard Row To Hoe - Quaint, off one of your sales tapes and you offered me this trade - 'Otis Lee for Joanie Sommers - Don't Pity Me - Warner Brothers plus £70.00'...I actually rang Pat Brady to check if he thought it was a fair deal! - Thanks to Pat, the deal was completed! lol :thumbup:

...Keith, I'm sure you may have completely forgotten that one, Carl Fortnum informs me it was probably the same week that John Anderson had just got a few as Gary Spencer got it just before me (Carl probably also had one knowing him!) I didn't realise I was playing a 'Newie' at the time lol. :D

(Maybe I'll buy you a 'Long over due' drink next time I see you Keith) :yes:

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Ooops - Sorry, my last 'Story' was 'Buying - Hooray!' rather than 'Doh - Why did I sell that?!' - Just pretend Keith posted it, then it's the 'right way round' for the thread! :rofl:

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

always used to bye loads of unkowns purely by ear and quality average £10 to £20 lol reckon if i hadent sold them years ago i could have probably bought my house :( but hey thats the nature of the beast i didnt lose money on them and certainley cant afford to replace them now but for everything ive sold i hear a new quality tune every week that you just gotta bye , it,s just unfortunate that they seem to be so expensive nowadays :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought a beautiful mint copy of The Flairs - You Got To Steal It (Rap) some 9 years ago when no one wanted them.

Did really like it (and still do ) but had to sell after Butch played it out and everyone went looking for it a couple of years ago.

Obviously made a few quid on it at the time but wish I could get one again. My record box is missing that green label big time..

:facepalm:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've bored many people with my tale of how I swapped my near mint Harvey Averne - Never Learned To Dance to Adam Topping for around £300 worth of swaps about 4 years ago thinking it was a forgotten oldie from the 80s that rarely got plays (which was true at the time). Six months after letting it go it was massive again, getting plays everywhere and everybody wanted one and I think eventually one went on ebay for around a grand.

Btw before I swapped it with Adam i'd listed it on here for £300 and had no takers... go figure.

Doh! :huh:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

MISTAKES, i know i've made a few, but i'm only human, you make mistakes too, i'm crying....sold Mac Staton on Prelude for £200, Jesse davis on Revere for £700 Parliaments heart trouble for £60, Soul Bros. Inc, Pyramid For £60, burning bush for £15 & so on, i know i made a bit of a profit on all of them, but try getting the buggers back for those prices!!!!! LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES

ATB...Rob frusty2.gif

Social source share

obviously sleep you dont understand these type of 45s once wernt expensive then all of a sudden everyone and his dog wants it. Detriot 45s are very collectable and a lot will be tucked away in collections or battered and worn. Have you tried e bay?

Social source share

obviously sleep you dont understand these type of 45s once wernt expensive then all of a sudden everyone and his dog wants it. Detriot 45s are very collectable and a lot will be tucked away in collections or battered and worn. Have you tried e bay?

yeah but im not going to pay the outrageous price that it now sells for ..when I sold mine it wasnt selling for as much as it does now..

Social source share

If you could predict what would go up and what would go down, you could make a lot of money. I mentioned this in another thread, but every time someone posts a Soul Bowl or similar list, and are amazed at something like timeless legend for 8 pounds there are a zillion records that aren't worth as much today for what they sold for on that list 30 years ago. How could you have predicted what would go up at the time? I also don't hear complaining from the people whose records have gone way up in price (except about that flairs for some reason :) ).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Biggest mistake I've made was with The Empires - You're on top girl - Candi

Bought it off Kev Roberts for a fiver at Blackpool Mecca in about 1975 when it was unknown

Gathered dust on my shelves over 25 years

Invited an old pal round to buy some records and I clearly remember him asking "what's this like" "doo-wop group sound" says I

I thought I'd done well to get my fiver back !

A month later what did I spot on Manship's auction........

Come to think about it, I really did get gouged that day : Bernard Smith on Spectrum, Houston Outlaws on Westbound, Vanguards on Lamp, Choice of Color on Apt, etc, etc all for a fiver each. All stuff I'd bought in the seventies. I'd been off the scene a long time and had no idea of prices. I reckon that old mate walked away with more than two grands worth of records for about 50 quid that day !

You live and learn !

All the best

John

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

gave Jimmy gresham teri de for cashmeres show stopper

Am I right in thinking you traded your Joseph Webster for Andy Fisher with Sam a few years ago, Ted?

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Come to think about it, I really did get gouged that day : Bernard Smith on Spectrum, Houston Outlaws on Westbound, Vanguards on Lamp, Choice of Color on Apt, etc, etc all for a fiver each. All stuff I'd bought in the seventies. I'd been off the scene a long time and had no idea of prices. I reckon that old mate walked away with more than two grands worth of records for about 50 quid that day !

was he someone you saw regularly? if so did he do anything to make it right and partially compensate you at least? it sounds like they weren't accidental buys where he didn't know the value; it sounds like he was taking advantage of you not knowing the current prices. Obviously if it was a random dealer or whatever it would be one thing, but it was your friend.

Social source share

Am I right in thinking you traded your Joseph Webster for Andy Fisher with Sam a few years ago, Ted?

i try to forget that thanks Brian :( the crazy thing was i was told Butch had started to play it, John Weston told Sam i had one until then Sam had never knew of it or heard it, dont ever deal with him, the f**** would not leave me alone pestering old ****

:lol:

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

When i got bored with the scene around '93ish, sold hayes cotton - black wings, vince apollo amongst others in a pile of 100 or so OVO including misty moore, r hamilton issues, lee garrett, and so on for £300 :( - they had all been collecting dust under my bed for a good few years and thought the scene had died a death and had no intention of returning to it, used the cash to buy my daughter a Barbie car :) bought many back since but cost me a bit more than £300 so far :lol:

Social source share

Seem to have a vague recollection of dealing with some sort of latino bloke out of New Jersey mid eighties I guess.

He would send me a hand written list every now and then of 45s he'd picked up to resell.

On one occassion I got a bundle of 13 or so records from him - there was 1 tasty original** and the rest were oddball semi-known sort of cheapies.

Me being me at the time - it was the mid eighties remember, Stafford was in full flow, tape swopping was a full time job and every collector seemed to be chasing mad semi-knowns - I decided to flog the original** to pay for the dozen cheapies I was keeping.

In the end I think I got £35 for it which meant I'd got a dozen free 45s and summat like £15 to spend. Result!

Move over Alan Sugar the big boys are in town....

I do chuckle to myself when I think back - but ultimately it's only vinyl and if that's you're only big regret in life, well done, me I've dropped a lot more bigger boll*cks than that in my time.....

derek x

** GB "CLMH" (Smoke) ouch

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i try to forget that thanks Brian :( the crazy thing was i was told Butch had started to play it, John Weston told Sam i had one until then Sam had never knew of it or heard it, dont ever deal with him, the f**** would not leave me alone pestering old ****

:lol:

Hi Ted, I recon you just got the better deal - Andy Fisher is absolutely awesome and not heard out enough!.....Though, "I'm not like other guys"... :D

Hope that makes you feel better mate :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Vinyl makes even friends do some very strange things.

Ain't that the truth.

derek

So true...Blimey that could be 'One hell of a' separate thread couldn't it? Title... "Being Blinded by Vinyl" ...Subtitle - 'When Friends Have Let You Down'...We think we have seen threads go nasty, this one could be a corker! he he. Just things like giving friends your wants list, they buy records off it not known to them, have a 'check' / listen then 'secretly' keep the b*stard for themselves! - Yes you're so right, when it comes to Vinyl; sometimes 'Honour' is straight out of the window.....But not for my good friend Dave Vanner! :thumbup:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

So true...Blimey that could be 'One hell of a' separate thread couldn't it? Title... "Being Blinded by Vinyl" ...Subtitle - 'When Friends Have Let You Down'...We think we have seen threads go nasty, this one could be a corker! he he. Just things like giving friends your wants list, they buy records off it not known to them, have a 'check' / listen then 'secretly' keep the b*stard for themselves! - Yes you're so right, when it comes to Vinyl; sometimes 'Honour' is straight out of the window.....But not for my good friend Dave Vanner! :thumbup:

All the best,

Len.

I would never post my wants list any more. I am even careful what dealers I send it to. When I first joined here I posted a long want list in wants and some dude verbatim stole it and posted on his myspace (he's still here...). I probably would show it to a good friend though, especially if he wasn't as deep into the specific genre / records as I was.

Social source share

I would never post my wants list any more. I am even careful what dealers I send it to. When I first joined here I posted a long want list in wants and some dude verbatim stole it and posted on his myspace (he's still here...). I probably would show it to a good friend though, especially if he wasn't as deep into the specific genre / records as I was.

Yes, it's strange isn't it? I suppose it's similar to when money becomes the issue. Money and records (Separately) can expose awful behaviour in some people (Not me I hasten to add!)

All the best,

Len.

P.s - Sorry if this is going 'off topic' a little but it is interesting.

Social source share

Yes, it's strange isn't it? I suppose it's similar to when money becomes the issue. Money and records (Separately) can expose awful behaviour in some people (Not me I hasten to add!)

All the best,

Len.

P.s - Sorry if this is going 'off topic' a little but it is interesting.

Not off Topic quite True, the picture below sums things up :yes:

post-9749-0-77721700-1328193193_thumb.jp

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

and sold them on for £6 and £8 respectavly, the records THE IVORIES-DESPENZA & DANNY WOODS-CORRECTONE

I remember me and Paul Hamer going over to Warrington one Saturday* to have a look through Geoff Whitfield's collection when he was selling up.

Pulled out The Ivories and nearly had a fit when he told me the price.

Sixty quid eh you're joking.

Put it straight back and stomped off huffing and puffing.

derek

*date unknown possibly early nineties.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!