Unknown Dee Dee Warwick Record?

boba

I didn't know about it Bob & obviously have never seen a copy of it before your post ....

.... AND I've been a massive Dee Dee Warwick fan since the mid 60's ...

I have all her 70's things & buy loads of 80's / 90's /Y2k items ... but have never seen this.

Social source share

I've never seen nor heard of it, It looks like that "label" could be a music studio demo, rather than a record company.

that is a real label, there are like 4 other records on it that are really good early 80s harmony soul things

Social source share

When I said there were four releases on the label I was thinking of the poormans label. There is a 45 on pro-indie by the infatuations who had a record on the poormans label and on one more label. That's why I got confused. However, the infatuations 45 is a real release and it also says "from the LP" but I don't collect LPs so I don't know if there's an infatuations LP on pro-indie.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Dee Dee recorded Fontella Bass' "Rescue Me" in 1970 for Atco but was unreleased so more than possible a recut of the same.

"Baby Lay Down" is the same song as Ruby Winters on UK Creole 171 (1979)

Same writers ...Cook/Van Hoy

Social source share

When I said there were four releases on the label I was thinking of the poormans label. There is a 45 on pro-indie by the infatuations who had a record on the poormans label and on one more label. That's why I got confused. However, the infatuations 45 is a real release and it also says "from the LP" but I don't collect LPs so I don't know if there's an infatuations LP on pro-indie.

the bobby barnes on poormans is an excellant version of jacquline jones with an equally good flip side.

don't think i've come across any of the others yet..........

Social source share

the bobby barnes on poormans is an excellant version of jacquline jones with an equally good flip side.

don't think i've come across any of the others yet..........

there is an infatuations on poormans that is good (it might be on ebay now actually)

there is a group called whitehead on poormans that is weird, it has a ballad side and a weird steppers side. i think the ballad side is cheesy but I know someone who likes it.

I think there's one more thing I'm not thinking of. I think there are 12"s on the label too but I don't know much about that format.

Social source share

I don't think it's much - AND hopelessly overpriced.........ooops there I go! :wicked::lol:

I used to like it a lot, now I still like it but like their later pro-indie single better. I still need their earlier 45 if someone has one to sell.

Social source share

Firstly, nice find Bob,

I also wasn't aware of this 45, never been on any discography I've ever seen either.

I have most of her 45's and all her albums.

But I do have something to add to this:

Both tracks are featured on an LP she did in 1983, it's called simply "Dee Dee" and it's on the Heritage Sound Recording Distributors label (HSRD) co-incidently the album has the same release number as the 45 - 'HSRD-006'

Here's a scan of the front cover, lifted from another site:

post-5094-0-54246600-1339281281_thumb.jp

Also here's the single you asked about:

post-5094-0-83925300-1339281950_thumb.jp

For anyone who has copies of 'In the Basement' magazine, issue 19 has an interview with her in which she very briefly mentions the period when the album was recorded.

Tracks on the album are as follows:

Side A

1. Call me

2. Groovin' on my baby's love

3. The grace of your love

4. Baby lay down

5. Rescue me

Side B

1. She just won't wait forever

2. Feel like makin' love

3. Real thing

4. Backstairs

5. All in the game

If I get time, I'll scan the label of the LP so you can see how similar it is to the 45, but it's basically the same as the 45 but instead of the 'Pro Indie' section it just has 'JBF Enterprises Inc' and then at the bottom it's the same as the single with the same logos either side of the HSRD letters

Also I can confirm that 'Rescue me' is the Fontella Bass song, although it's a very long time since I played it so can't comment on how good / bad it is.

More to the point, it's another 45 I have to look out for to add to the collection!!!

Edited by John Benson
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

This record is terrible. The a-side is way worse and more bette midler-ish than the ruby winters. The b-side is a terrible 80s rock-ish cover of rescue me, reminds me of aretha franklin "freeway".

p.s. not for sale

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!