Luther Ingram & The G-Men

Robb, If I remember correctly, Luther was managed by Johnny Baylor from quite an early point in his career. It is entirely possible that all of his pre-KOKO releases were arranged via Baylor's, including his 1964 Decca sessions.

He would have been based in New York at the time, and the first KOKO releases from 1967 were from New York.

Social source share

Hi!

Luther Ingram: "I first met Robert (Bateman) in my home town, in Alton.  He was with Motown at the time.  He later wanted me to come to New York, and he made himself a part of me making a record."

Daisy (Luther's sister): "Luther left for New York in 1965, from Illinois.  He spent lots of time in New York during his career, which is why many probably think he lived in New York, but he never actually changed his residence to New York, though you could say New York was like his second home."

Luther: "Jamo Thomas recorded I Spy after I recorded it, and it was a deal between Jamo and, I think, the Impressions.  Jamo was a very nice person and I okayed Jamo for the record."

(The complete Luther Ingram Story; Soul Express no. 2/2004).

Best regards

Heikki

Hi Heikki

Any chance of a scan of the whole article please?  :D

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Hi!

Luther Ingram: "I first met Robert (Bateman) in my home town, in Alton.  He was with Motown at the time.  He later wanted me to come to New York, and he made himself a part of me making a record."

Daisy (Luther's sister): "Luther left for New York in 1965, from Illinois.  He spent lots of time in New York during his career, which is why many probably think he lived in New York, but he never actually changed his residence to New York, though you could say New York was like his second home."

Luther: "Jamo Thomas recorded I Spy after I recorded it, and it was a deal between Jamo and, I think, the Impressions.  Jamo was a very nice person and I okayed Jamo for the record."

(The complete Luther Ingram Story; Soul Express no. 2/2004).

Best regards

Heikki

Thanks Heikki.  I've wanted to know that for a long time.

Social source share

Hi Heikki

Any chance of a scan of the whole article please?  :D

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard!

I'm afraid it's too long.  I think it's 12 or 14 pages - or even more, I'm at work now, so I don't have the copy in front of me - and numerous people were interviewed for that article.

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!