Record Storage Advice Needed

I'm about to move house and will have to start thinking of a different way to store my 7" vinyl. I'm thinking of simple 200 count cardboard boxes so I can stack 'em if need be. Does anyone know where I can get these in bulk (20 probably) at a good price? Any suggestions?

I may even have to store some in a dry garage or shed? Are the cardboard boxes suitable for this or would plastic ones be more durable/better? Anyone got any tips? I'm effectively losing my record room and my CD collection is taking over the rest of the house, so space is becoming a real issue.

Any advice muchly appreciated..... :thumbsup:

Ian D :D

Social source share

probably not reasonable for overseas but when I last moved I bought a bunch of bags unlimited 45 boxes in one of the quantities that has a price break:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-280-storage-boxes.aspx

even with the "really useful boxes", although they might keep general wetness out, I doubt they are air tight to be humidity proof. I actually run a dehumidifier in my record room now. it depends on where you live i guess, it probably never is humid in the UK...

Social source share

probably not reasonable for overseas but when I last moved I bought a bunch of bags unlimited 45 boxes in one of the quantities that has a price break:

https://www.bagsunlim...rage-boxes.aspx

even with the "really useful boxes", although they might keep general wetness out, I doubt they are air tight to be humidity proof. I actually run a dehumidifier in my record room now. it depends on where you live i guess, it probably never is humid in the UK...

No never really humid, but I would strongly advise not putting them in a Garage, even in the dryest garage and in containers, records always seem to be able to find any damp there is, especially in the cold weather as it is now.
Social source share

Plastic Boxes are great for keeping water out, but they do suffer from condensation problems if in a garage or any sort of outbuilding that doesn't have some sort of temperature control.

One of the cheap self storage places is a good option, security, and normally kept at a level temperature for the indoor ones too.

we stored some stuff in one for a while, about half the size of a decent garage, was only about £4 a week!

Walsall Box Company in the West Mids are really good for any kind of card or board type boxes, they can even do a limited run to your specs.

Their rigid stitched box is ideal for singles storage they're made from solid board and wire stitched in the corners to form an extremely strong and functional box, come with a lid too, and can be pre creased so they can be stored flat when not in use, they'll print them too!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Never had a problem with condensation nor damp in he really useful boxes, been in the garage over four years nearly some of them. Not just records but old magazines, flyers, tapes etc, o problem whatsoever. There is no temperature control either in there, the temperature is what it is. The last four years has seen some of our coldest temperatures as well as some record hottest temperatures as well. Not sure where you got that information from but it isn't true.

Social source share

I'm sorry Chalky, but it is true, just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean I'm lying! It's a fact that plastic can cause things to 'sweat' - poly lined sleeves are a good example, you've got to be careful exactly what kind of lining they have, that's been discussed on here before too.I've had problems before, and the amount of damp damaged labels, lp covers etc that are seen for sale at ebay/boot/record fairs bears testament to the fact that storage in outbuildings/cellars etc can be a problem, especially if just left for long periods of time, not rotated etc. Storing things stacked tightly together can also cause problems.

Who made you the font of truth anyway?

Social source share

I didn't say ou was lying, I simply said that what you said isn't always the case. I don't know anyone else who has really useful boxes in their garage who has suffered with condensation.

I don't use poly lined sleeves, I only use a paper sleeve inside a card sleeve, stored inside a really useful box. They aren't packed tight either.

You can get all the problems you state stored inside in a temperature controlled environment when packed too tight etc.

And I suppose card boxes are damp proof.

As for font of truth I could ask the same of you, can't you debate or give an opinion with coming out with crap like that? No wonder folk had enough on here.

Social source share

The problem with condensation relates to humidity, which is why I run (and suggested running) a dehumidifier. re: sweating plastic, you should investigate whether anything you put a record into is inert or not before committing to it, especially for a long term. all bags unlimited products, for example, tell you whether the products have been tested with the photoactivity test to prove inertness.

Social source share

Never had a problem with condensation nor damp in he really useful boxes, been in the garage over four years nearly some of them. Not just records but old magazines, flyers, tapes etc, o problem whatsoever. There is no temperature control either in there, the temperature is what it is. The last four years has seen some of our coldest temperatures as well as some record hottest temperatures as well. Not sure where you got that information from but it isn't true.

I can debate and give an opinion plenty! AND without telling people that I'm right and they're not. Me coming out with crap, that's rich! I was replying to your post in which you said 'Not sure where you got that information from but it isn't true'

Can I just say as far as I'm aware, no-one has stopped using this site because of me, my attitude, or anything I've said. I'm sure Mike would have had a word with me if that was the case, like he does with everybody (and rightly so)

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!