Night Owl Help Needed - Asked Before

Pete S

Well this one has really got me stumped. The first picture is of the bootleg of Bobby Paris _ night Owl. This is in Manships book, described as having a bevelled edge. And it does, it's a definite bootleg. John also says there is a second bootleg which was pressed at Monarch inn the 70's and has a delta number. Fair enough. The second scan is what I believe to be an original white demo. However, it has nothing but the number in the run off. The vinyl is thick 60's style. I have a Len Barry demo from the same period and the number is definitely sctahced in with the same hand, however on the Barry record, it actually says DJ Copy Not For Sale. On this Night Owl, it doesn't. Both the demos have a dip towards the centre hole.

So basically I'm asking opinions as to whether this white demo is legit. I can't really see, knowing where it came from, that it would be a boot. But it's best I find out now before I try and sell it. Does anyone else have a white demo? If it's legit, what a bout the value? I sell the usual red demo for £125.

cheers

Pete

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well this one has really got me stumped. The second picture is of the bootleg of Bobby Paris _ night Owl. This is in Manships book, described as having a bevelled edge. And it does, it's a definite bootleg. John also says there is a second bootleg which was pressed at Monarch inn the 70's and has a delta number. Fair enough. The first scan is what I believe to be an original white demo. However, it has nothing but the number in the run off. The vinyl is thick 60's style. I have a Len Barry demo from the same period and the number is definitely sctahced in with the same hand, however on the Barry record, it actually says DJ Copy Not For Sale. On this Night Owl, it doesn't. Both the demos have a dip towards the centre hole.

So basically I'm asking opinions as to whether this white demo is legit. I can't really see, knowing where it came from, that it would be a boot. But it's best I find out now before I try and sell it. Does anyone else have a white demo? If it's legit, what a bout the value? I sell the usual red demo for £125.

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Well this one has really got me stumped. The first picture is of the bootleg of Bobby Paris _ night Owl. This is in Manships book, described as having a bevelled edge. And it does, it's a definite bootleg. John also says there is a second bootleg which was pressed at Monarch inn the 70's and has a delta number. Fair enough. The second scan is what I believe to be an original white demo. However, it has nothing but the number in the run off. The vinyl is thick 60's style. I have a Len Barry demo from the same period and the number is definitely sctahced in with the same hand, however on the Barry record, it actually says DJ Copy Not For Sale. On this Night Owl, it doesn't. Both the demos have a dip towards the centre hole.

cheers

Pete

I remember buying a white demo boot in 1975 at the Matlock Bath bank holiday all dayer.That was 60's style vinyl if I remember correctly. If thats any help at all Pete :unsure:

Social source share

I remember buying a white demo boot in 1975 at the Matlock Bath bank holiday all dayer.That was 60's style vinyl if I remember correctly. If thats any help at all Pete :yes:

Sound quality on that one was shocking though. That and Manifesto appeared at the same time.

I remember buying a white demo boot in 1975 at the Matlock Bath bank holiday all dayer.

I'm surprised you went anywhere with the word ' bath' in it... :unsure:

Social source share

cheers

Pete

I,ve got a red Cameo issue of Night Owl . I will see what if any info is on the vinyl . It may help you in your quest

Steve

Social source share

Gutted. The grey non smiling smiley has gone. But you get my drift. :unsure:

Here you go Steve, I always keep a spare for emergencies.

post-1643-1139673588.gif

Edited by rachel
Social source share

cheers

Pete

Hello Pete

I've got a Bobby Paris that looks the same as the one you've got (if it's the one you bought off Ebay) I've always thought it was an original and I've had it since the early Wigan days. A few knowledgeble collectors have seen it and said "that's nice" etc nobody has ever said it's a boot. Personally I don't know but I've never seen another until the one you bought. In later years I've seen quite a few red demo's and thought it must be a boot, but there are red and white demo's of Evie Sands and I've also got an early Cameo white demo of some doo wop tune that is just white with no mention of DJ copy on it. Hope this helps

Dazz

Social source share

Hello Pete

I've got a Bobby Paris that looks the same as the one you've got (if it's the one you bought off Ebay) I've always thought it was an original and I've had it since the early Wigan days. A few knowledgeble collectors have seen it and said "that's nice" etc nobody has ever said it's a boot. Personally I don't know but I've never seen another until the one you bought. In later years I've seen quite a few red demo's and thought it must be a boot, but there are red and white demo's of Evie Sands and I've also got an early Cameo white demo of some doo wop tune that is just white with no mention of DJ copy on it. Hope this helps

Dazz

Thanks mate. Thats it very helpful. It's certainly an 'enigma'!

Social source share

cheers

Pete

Pete call me Monday: the copy you have could be Canadian. The Canadian Cameo's look like white promo's but don't have a reference like "not for sale" or any text saying PROMOTIONAL. If you ring Monday I can explain it better and compare with the USA copy I have one in stock. As far as I'm aware there is no USA white promo, but stranger things happen every day in the vinyl-game. Got a hunch it's Canadian though.. john
Social source share

Pete call me Monday: the copy you have could be Canadian. The Canadian Cameo's look like white promo's but don't have a reference like "not for sale" or any text saying PROMOTIONAL. If you ring Monday I can explain it better and compare with the USA copy I have one in stock. As far as I'm aware there is no USA white promo, but stranger things happen every day in the vinyl-game. Got a hunch it's Canadian though.. john

John, if this helps, it looks like the matrix number is scratched in by the same person who did the len Barry record 90 odd issues earlier - exactly the same "3" for a start. I'll ring you tomorrow though, cheers

Social source share

Can I assume that this is the only known DEMO (Scan attached)

The reason I ask is that I have Bobby Paris on a Monarch Issue - Also the Vinyl DEMO as PIC

(BOTH - Bought from Soul Bowl in the early 1970s) I have always assumed a DEMO somewhere for the Monarch Issue, Possibly Red, Yellow or even White Label. (See info for C-347)

(i.e. Title at top of Label - Artist at Bottom) - ?

I have DEE DEE SHARP - THERE AIN'T NOTHING I WOULDN'T DO - C-347

2 x Different DEMO's and one issue;

Yellow / Black - D J Copy - Not For Sale - Vinyl (Which has Artist at Top and Title at Bottom of the Label)

Issue of C-347 is on Styrene / Monarch - (Which has Title at the Top & Artist at the bottom)

Another DEMO for C-347 on Styrene / Monarch again (Title at the Top & Artist at the bottom of Label)

This one RED but with PROMOTIONAL - NOT FOR SALE - Printed on the Label

I have DEE DEE SHARP on Canadian White/Black Cameo but has reference to Quality at bottom of Label

post-2311-1139844119_thumb.jpg

Social source share

You can, but you'd be wrong, that's the common version - well it's the one I've had most of. Vinyl press.

Sorry, probably phrased this wrong

(Known DEMO) anyone a scan / info of the less common version?

I believe that there IS another DEMO, as I indicated further in my text.

Also, some of the Cameo & Parkway only have very faint Matrix Stamps Frankford/Wayne - Bell Sound etc

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

If I ever play Night Owl these days , I play the far superior version by the Righteous Brothers, at least that version doesn't stop suddenly!
Something at the back of my mind there's a small piece of information in my head that says there's a Bobby Paris version that doesn't end with the dead stop. But my mind has a big hole in it and thats were the link to the piece of infomation is. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Something at the back of my mind there's a small piece of information in my head that says there's a Bobby Paris version that doesn't end with the dead stop. But my mind has a big hole in it and thats were the link to the piece of infomation is. :thumbsup:

The dead stop is only on the UK London and the SOS bootleg isn't it? This one of mine fades out. The bootleg ones fades out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert