Sam Dees: Show Must Go On Lp

Sunnysoul

I take it that Sam's work of genius is still yet to be "reissued/re-released" on vinyl or CD (legitimately or otherwise)

Can somebody refresh my memory as to exactly why that is so ? Has Sam (or Atlantic) tied the rights up and doesn't want to re release it ?

Was that the same situation with Luther (Vandross) and his group's first two LPs for Cotillion ?

Thanks in advance ! :unsure:

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I take it that Sam's work of genius is still yet to be "reissued/re-released" on vinyl or CD (legitimately or otherwise)

Can somebody refresh my memory as to exactly why that is so ? Has Sam (or Atlantic) tied the rights up and doesn't want to re release it ?

Was that the same situation with Luther (Vandross) and his group's first two LPs for Cotillion ?

Thanks in advance ! whistling.gif

I recently did a cd for a guy on here ( cant remember his name :sleep3: ) but he has interviewed Sam & he has written to the people who own the rights to " the show" lp, i think he said they were a company in Japan. Both he & Sam have asked the company to release it on cd but so far they seem reluctant for what ever reason, if he reads this topic he will be able to give you the full version of events. Hope this helps

Garv.

Social source share

I read somewhere that when LV got a more famous and richer from his Epic recordings, he bought the rights to the Cottilion stuff because he specifically didn't want it to ever be re-released, thus stopping the chances of Atlantic doing that on the back of his big star status.

Social source share

Here are the facts...

The album masters were among assets siezed by the IRS and FBI following the arrest of Michael Thevis in 1976 under the RICO Act.

All government liens have now been lifted but ownership to some of the Sam Dees masters is still in dispute between Ginn Music Group (successors to Showtime Productions Inc) and Atlantic Recording Corp.

Millbrand Music controls European publishing rights to the songs and also represent the masters for Ginn Music Group.

We are co-operating with Atlantic's parent company Warner Music Group in the hope that the album can be legitimately issued on CD soon.

Further information: www.millbrand.com

Paul Mooney

Millbrand Copyright Management Ltd.

Social source share